Project Yeti, Abominable WJ - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #691
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What brand did you go with for the calipers? Looking into some new ones myself

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #692
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I used Akebono rebuilds from O'Reily's. I think they were reman'd by A1 Cardone.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #693
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Click * Click * Click *

All better
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #694
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I will be installing the winch soon, and thought I would pick up some 3/4 inch spacers to keep it level. Dahrkstorm shipped them to me for $27, he is great to deal with if you ever need 3/4 inch spacers.

I also received an 03 bezel from champ926. This will allow me to install the CB radio without having to slice the ash tray in half, it should look pretty clean. I'll just have to cut out the heated seat switch slots so that I can install mine. I need to dedicate some time to the jeep over the next couple of weekends.

Unread 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #695
clgielin
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
I need to dedicate some time to the jeep over the next couple of weekends.
June 12th will be here before you know it! I still have an axle to finish, or buy another couple spare drivers side shafts...and wire my lightbar...and fix my evap leak for emission inspection...etc.

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #696
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

That's where I have my CB mounted and like it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgielin View Post
June 12th will be here before you know it! I still have an axle to finish, or buy another couple spare drivers side shafts...and wire my lightbar...and fix my evap leak for emission inspection...etc.
Post details on what you find if you would. My 03 has the evap codes on and need to get it fixed before inspection time.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #697
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgielin View Post
I saw pics of a sleeve, are you going to swap in U-joint axle shafts?

Yes it will. I hope to do the CB this weekend, and possibly the Winch depending on how early I can start. I have a joint that is loose, but I am not going to worry about replacing it at this point. I will just take a couple of my old RK joints with and swap if it gets really bad. The body side joints of my front LCA's are solid poly RK joints, and they don't last more than a year of wheeling. I plan to run Currie JJ's on the body side as well, but I will need to make some new LCA's out of DOM first. My current arms are solid stock, so I can't really shorten them without ruining the current threads as I drill it out, and tapping to a larger size will make them too thin. The new LCA's can be a project before fall, I don't see myself getting to that before June. I already have the JJ's though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum5.9 View Post
That's where I have my CB mounted and like it there.
I am looking forward to it. I have likely seen pics of yours on here somewhere over the years. Did you mount yours at the top of the cubby hole, at the bottom, or at some type of angle? From the looks of it, I think I can carefully slice the hole and won't even have to build any supports for the CB as it should pinch right in there.

Unread 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #698
clgielin
2003 WJ 

Quote:
No, keeping the CV's. I don't want to spend quite that much now. Who know's what I'll do when these 35's on 15" rims wear out...

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #699
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Yeah...it seems like 37's are becoming the new 35's...haha.

Unread 05-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #700
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Had to be mounted at angle due to length of cb. There is not much clearance back there. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #701
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:

Yes it will. I hope to do the CB this weekend, and possibly the Winch depending on how early I can start. I have a joint that is loose, but I am not going to worry about replacing it at this point. I will just take a couple of my old RK joints with and swap if it gets really bad. The body side joints of my front LCA's are solid poly RK joints, and they don't last more than a year of wheeling. I plan to run Currie JJ's on the body side as well, but I will need to make some new LCA's out of DOM first. My current arms are solid stock, so I can't really shorten them without ruining the current threads as I drill it out, and tapping to a larger size will make them too thin. The new LCA's can be a project before fall, I don't see myself getting to that before June. I already have the JJ's though.

I am looking forward to it. I have likely seen pics of yours on here somewhere over the years. Did you mount yours at the top of the cubby hole, at the bottom, or at some type of angle? From the looks of it, I think I can carefully slice the hole and won't even have to build any supports for the CB as it should pinch right in there.
im about to re-do mine since I got a new wood grain console piece, but the way mine is in there now, it wedges in tight. It is not hard mounted. just sits in there but never moves AT ALL
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #702
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I had some time tonight that I was able to dedicate to the WJ, and decided to install the Uniden. I took some pics of the process:

Use a trim tool, or other flat tool, to release the clips and remove the center bezel:

I realized that I needed to remove the tray below the bezel so that it would come out. This should have been step one. Remove the tray liner, then remove two screws, and they both come out.

After the tray comes out, the bezel slips right out. You have to unplug everything. On mine, I had a light on top of the ash tray, heated seat on each side, and a cig lighter and power source on each side.

My factory bezel (woodgrain) next to the non heated seat 2003 bezel with the cubby hole.

The first thing to do was swap the switches over. I realized that all my small cutoff wheels for the dremel were gone, so I went to the slower method of heating a blade over a candle and slicing through the plastic. It took longer, but it was the tool I had. I cleaned the edges up with sand paper when I was done cutting.

Both cut:

The 03 bezel had the switch mounting screw holes, even though it didn't have the switch cut outs. Switches swapped over:

One of the power outlets on the new unit was not the same as my 99. It had two prongs, mine had 3. The 99 one is green, the donor one I swapped out and did not use was the grey one:

There was also a difference on the side...metal vs no metal:

There are two pinch clips that hold the power sockets in place. It doesn't seem like you can get the switch out without doing some damage to the little clips. I just mixed up some 2 part epoxy to help strengthen the clips and hold the sockets in place:

Then, I test fit the CB unit in the cubby. I cut the bottom back section of the cubby off, allowing for the CB to sit at an angle upward as it comes out:

Then it was time to head outside and install it. The CB wire was already run, so I just had to move it from the center console to the bezel area. I have about 18 extra inches still sitting under the center console. The ash tray had a light, and this does not have one. I just unplugged the bulb for now, maybe I will use this for other interior lighting at a future date:

I re-installed the bezel, plugged in all of the switches and tested them, good to go:

I just left the power wires for the running out of the center console for now. It was late, and I can easily wire it up later.

a BIG thank you to everyone else who has done this, your pics and advice has been perfect!

Unread 05-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #703
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great! By far one of the best places to put one In a WJ

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #704
DrGrand
2003 WJ 

That is a clean install!!!
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #705
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I have many on there to thank for the clean install, there pics were my guide.

Let's see if I can upload some pics of todays project...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.