Project Yeti, Abominable WJ - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #631
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ

yeah
Xrc8's can be "reclocked" meaning you can move the handle

Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #632
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Good info Timbo. I think I remember someone talking about this hitting the grill or something. I didn't dissasemble to check, but I have some pics for you. The pic you posted (Corbin) appears to be of a Warn Winch. The smitty is on the side, not on the top:

6 inches from mounting bolt hole to the edge of the handle. If you can clock it, I am not sure how far down it can be moved before it will impact the case. If needed, I am sure you could cut it and weld on a new handle end at the needed angle if it won't clear the body when it is rotated all the way down. Who knows, it might be close but it is possible that it will rotate 180 without hitting the body of the winch.

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #633
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

that is what I needed to know, so thanks to both of you for the information!
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #634
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I did rotate the handle when I installed one on a WK and it worked perfectly but be very very careful taking it apart and seeing how it goes back together we popped a piece out and it fell on the ground and took us forever to figure out where it belonged. Its mainly hard to work with because the motor is HEAVY! If you take the cable off or have synthetic line it will be much more manageable overall.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #635
adavis39
2002 WJ 

hey man, what LED's did you use in your tail lights? now that I have mine in I want some better bulbs
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #636
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I bought them at Autozone:

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #637
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
I bought them at Autozone:

thanks...may pick those up today. I gotta track down an electrical gremlin in the tails anyways. As soon as I installed them, my blinkers (front and rear) started to only work when they decide they want too?
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #638
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

just re-read your original post about the winch... the handle itself is not the part you rotate but rather the whole gear casing on that side of the winch will come off of the spindle and you rotate it as one unit and then refit it to the spindle. If I recall you can put it at just about any angle you want. So no need to modify the release lever. The winch should have instructions about how to go about it.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #639
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
just re-read your original post about the winch... the handle itself is not the part you rotate but rather the whole gear casing on that side of the winch will come off of the spindle and you rotate it as one unit and then refit it to the spindle. If I recall you can put it at just about any angle you want. So no need to modify the release lever. The winch should have instructions about how to go about it.
Then I guess that is the winch I will be ordering! Thanks to everyone for the help. Now.. get that thing installed, Will!
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #640
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ

Then I guess that is the winch I will be ordering! Thanks to everyone for the help. Now.. get that thing installed, Will!
Are you gonna get that Iceland or what?
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #641
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

The winch install will be on the backburner until I can get this thing on the road again...

My wife got in the jeep on Sunday morning (in the driveway) and the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. I am feeling very blessed right now. The evening before, we were on the freeway, then we came down 1000 feet in elevation from my inlaws (pretty steep road) just before parking the Jeep on Saturday night. Both front calipers had piston seals go, loss of all the fluid.

I am glad this didn't happen at a time that could have been scary.

New calipers are on, but bleeding brakes at 15 degrees was killing me. So I got it good enough to drive slowly, and will head over to my dads place to use his heated garage tonight.

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #642
adavis39
2002 WJ 

that sucks man....glad you got it home before they let go! I have to put mine under the knife this weekend too. Busted Radiator
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #643
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap man! thank god you and the wife are safe. Weird because those calipers didn't even look too rusty or beat or anything.

Matt
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #644
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Holy ****! X3 man, glad it didn't happen at a time it was needed and you found it when you did.
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #645
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Yeah, the WJ is my wife's DD. I am just very happy that it didn't happen on her commute to/from work, that would have been terrible. I have a lot to be grateful for.

Brakes are important, and I know these have seen a fair amount of work with all the wheeling we do. I saw several threads on here over the past few years where people have lost brake lines, including the hard line that runs to the rear. I noticed that mine was corroded, so last spring I replaced it along with every soft line in the brake system. I have had calipers lock up in the past, but I have never had one leak fluid out like this. It just proves that no matter how cautious we are with our maintenance, something can always go wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.