Project Yeti, Abominable WJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 12-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #46
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
I finally found the "shore" view. It is from an angle, but shows how far out I had to back in to launch the boat.
Thats pretty freakin cool ha.

04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]Build Thread:[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
WillMcD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #47
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
I just spammed all of my Jeep friends' facebook walls with that picture lol! Its crazy how similar your WJ looked to mine (minus the lift and awesome tires haha)
Just tell them it is yours...out there in the water, you can't see the lift/tires...

Quote:
Thats friggin awesome. I wish I lived on fresh water, I would never do this in the ocean LOL
Well, with all of the driving we do in the winter months, it is about the same. Living just a few miles from the Great Salt Lake, our roads (and vehicles) are covered in salt all winter long.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #48
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Dude that picture is awesome... We'll have to do a UJC trip up there next summer. I wanna see this boat taxiing job in action! Hahaha
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #49
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

With a day off, and some semi-warm weather, I decided it was time to paint the flares and bumper. They previously had just been gel coated white. They come ready for paint.

I started by taking the bumper and flares off. As the rear section of the flare is only accessible to remove if the rear interior panels are taken off, I decided I would just mask those off and paint them on the Jeep.

The bumper is off, this is just another pic of the winch cradle ready to go when that time comes:

Parts laid out on the floor:

The rear section still in place:

After the first coat of paint, you can see the masked off jeep in the background.

I just spray painted it. It took about 6 cans of spray paint, and 2 cans of clear. They were duplicolor cans I bought from Napa for $6 a piece, so it was a pretty inexpensive paint job. My color was stone white, not all of the local auto stores had it in stock:

A couple of pics from early today. I have the D-rings and mounts off for now. I want to paint them and let them cure for a bit before I put them on.

The next project: I bought hood and hatch struts and will install them in the next few days.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #50
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did that duplicolor stuff actually work? Got a part number I can use? I tried some and it was horribly mismatched from my XJ but I might have had the wrong color code. I've got one or two things on the XJ that will need to be repainted (scratched paint off of rear bumper down to black plastic and also when I get the factory tow bezel I wanna body color match that too

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #51
patrick983
2000 WJ 

looks great!
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #52
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick983 View Post
looks great!
Thanks

Quote:
Did that duplicolor stuff actually work? Got a part number I can use? I tried some and it was horribly mismatched from my XJ but I might have had the wrong color code. I've got one or two things on the XJ that will need to be repainted (scratched paint off of rear bumper down to black plastic and also when I get the factory tow bezel I wanna body color match that too
It turned out really well, the paint is a near match. In the pics above, the lighting isn't that great. The front bumper looks to be a little off. It is funny how pictures can turn out different. It is the exact same color as the flares, and you can see that they match the body pretty well. The paint is a hair darker if anything, but I am picky. My dad had an autobody shop growing up, so I notice differences in paint pretty easily.

I could have painted everything with a spray gun, it's not like we don't have the equipment. This was just easy and cheap. I figure I will be using the rattle can to touch up my rock damage after wheeling, so why make it look perfect now.

Unread 01-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #53
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I was sick of supporting the hood on my head, and I smacked myself pretty good on the tailgate on a cold morning two weeks ago, so it was time for new struts. I didn't worry about the glass ones as they are never used much.

Unread 01-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #54
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

So youve just about got me conviced on the IOR bumper fender package. Question though. Looking at yours what size tire would I be able to run with the fenders?
04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #55
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I have a 6.5 inch lift, but I think I ride at about 5.5 up front, and 6 in the rear. It has always sat a little bit nose down. The LA kit was on it when I bought the dub.

I am running 315x75x16's, about 35's. I haven't had any rubbing problems so far, but my JKS discos are still in the package waiting to get installed. When I get them on, I will test to see if I need to extend my front bumpstops. I think my rears will be just fine.

At 4 inches, I think you would be fine on 33's, plenty of room. 35's should be just fine as well, as long as you have the right bumpstops. I love the black WJ by the way, every time I see your rig it makes me want to toss my Moab wheels on. Are you running spacers behind your wheels?

Unread 01-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #56
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

I wonder when they are gunna make a rear bumper... I think you should get it!

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #57
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I have a 6.5 inch lift, but I think I ride at about 5.5 up front, and 6 in the rear. It has always sat a little bit nose down. The LA kit was on it when I bought the dub.

I am running 315x75x16's, about 35's. I haven't had any rubbing problems so far, but my JKS discos are still in the package waiting to get installed. When I get them on, I will test to see if I need to extend my front bumpstops. I think my rears will be just fine.

At 4 inches, I think you would be fine on 33's, plenty of room. 35's should be just fine as well, as long as you have the right bumpstops. I love the black WJ by the way, every time I see your rig it makes me want to toss my Moab wheels on. Are you running spacers behind your wheels?
I was wondering if I could fit 35's. I can get mt/r's with kevlar in a 34" also so I might do that. Im currently not running spacer but I will be soon enough.

Unread 01-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #58
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

If you went with a 34" and added a spacer, you would be golden. I doubt it would take much more to work that setup. If you go with the Iceland package, feel free to ask questions. I actually had a fun time doing it. The fronts are very easy, and I spend a Saturday taking my time on the rear. It was a fun process and I learned a ton.

Unread 01-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #59
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitNail View Post
I wonder when they are gunna make a rear bumper... I think you should get it!
Iceland is not far from one of my friends, about a hour from my house. I picked all my stuff up from them in person when I bought it. I told him that I wanted them to make a bumper, I would LOVE IT. I have told him I would be the first to order one. Who knows, maybe I can make my own. I wonder how long it would take me to get all that fiberglass resin off of my skin if I really tried?

I have thought of making a bumper mock-up with thin sheet metal and riveting it together, then overlaying it with fiberglass mat and resin. Then I could just bondo and paint...I am getting a little ahead of myself though, that would be a time consuming project. I really like the lightweight factor with the Iceland products (except my sliders, those things are beef).

Unread 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #60
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Quote:
If you went with a 34" and added a spacer, you would be golden. I doubt it would take much more to work that setup. If you go with the Iceland package, feel free to ask questions. I actually had a fun time doing it. The fronts are very easy, and I spend a Saturday taking my time on the rear. It was a fun process and I learned a ton.
Im leaning towards that setup. If I do plan on going that route which I prolly will then I will definatly have questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.