I have been putting this off for a couple of weeks, but now that it is cool in the morning and my wife wants to use the heater, it was time to fix the heater core. It is also good that I was able to get to it before it dumped everywhere.
On a good note, all of my blend doors and recirc doors look good. But now that I have taken it this far apart, I better knock on wood and hope they don't break in the next month after I pulled it apart this far.
To get to the heater core, I removed the front seats, front half of the back seat, steering column, center console, glove box, a pillar covers, scuff guards, interior wiring, and the entire dashboard. Then you can get to the HVAC box. After pulling the AC lines and heater hose, I was able to finally access the heater core.
The foam on the new heater core was not as thick, there was a small gap:
So I covered it with aluminum tape to keep the box sealed properly:
At least you don't have to remove the brake pedal or gas pedal:
The HVAC box is now back in, I will have to finish the interior installation tomorrow.
The wiring harness splits in a really cool way allowing you to remove the dash section with the gauge pod, radio, HVAC controls, speakers, and a few other things still installed. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...it is not too technical, it just takes time. And it helped tremendously that I found these video's on YouTube and watched them last night.