Project Yeti, Abominable WJ - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #226
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

American Fork Canyon today:

The leaves are changing:

...and...AT's are awesome in the snow and on the slickrock, but they don't like mud. They turn into big smooth balloons with no traction:

I was hitting the body on the side of the hill, and didn't feel like I would make it through. So I had to back out and go around...

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #227
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Share more photos. It's beautiful there. I didn't realize Utah had such areas.

And yeah, AT's aren't great in mud. Mine are tolerable, but best in conditions such as you mentioned. MT's are terrible in most driving situations other than mud, deep snow, or rocks. So for a Jeep that's mostly driven on-road I find AT's a worthwhile compromise. Until you're in the mud.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #228
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Yeah, the AT's are the right tire for me. I might go for Duratrac's next for a little bit more aggressive tread. The kevlars were great, but not really good for a DD.

Hopefully 311 will post up some addtional pics, it was a perfect day for wheeling. I just had my cell, but he had a really nice camera with him. Utah has great outdoor recreation areas, there are canyons like this all over the northern part of the state. Everyone is more familiar with the look of Southern Utah though, all red rock.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #229
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I've only been through Utah in recent years when it was winter, and terrible at that. I stayed in Ogdon, I believe. In any case, I am amazed at the landscape. You're a lucky guy to live in such a place.

Were they Good Year that you're speaking of with the kevlar? I almost got some, but they were going to be over $100 more for the set of 4 vs the Hankook. Hankooks are great so far. They're a fairly soft rubber, so grip is great, yet somehow they aren't wearing much. I have to have 10k on mine now, and while I notice that they're not new, if you wash and clean them up good, it's hard to tell. They're cheaper than BFG AT's by just a bit, too. Discount Tire will give you a good deal. With full warranty and replacement I paid $770, tax and all. Okay, that's a lot, but you pay for good tires. I think it was going to be near $900 for the GY SA's.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #230
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

damn those tires are caked! are those KO's?
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #231
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Yes, under all that mud is a set of KO's

Unread 10-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #232
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

BTW - Here is a link to more pics that 311 took:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f319/...l#post12254861

Unread 10-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #233
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

So I fabbed up my own light "tabs" today. They aren't really tabs, more like bars. I have u bolts that work with my roof rack that I ordered from Surco, but I didn't want to use their light tabs. They didn't look strong enough, these HID lights are hefty and I don't want them bouncing around when I am offroad.

I was looking for steel, but everything I could find locally was either overkill for strength/weight. All the aluminum stuff I could find was flat stock, not c-channel. I wanted a c of some type to keep the bar rigid. I will post pics of it installed when I get a chance to do that. My new light bars will mount to the roof rack cross bars. then extend out past the front of the rack. They will bolt to the outer edge of the rack, so they will be very strong and should not allow the lights to bounce at all.

After searching for the right metal, my bro suggested railing steel (yes, for the interior of a house). He even had some lying around. It worked perfect.

I notched the bottom of the back side where it rests on the roof rack cross bar, drilled holes for the roof rack outer u-bolt, and a hole for the roof rack light. Then I strung them through some old cable wire to prime and paint them. They are now ready to install.

Unread 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #234
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

The light bars have been installed, and the lights are now on. Now I just need to run the wires and install the switch.

This pic shows them as they are bolted down to the main cross bar, and extending forward to the front of the rack:

This pic shows the top hat bracket that goes over the rack and holds the light bar up.

And two final shots:

Unread 10-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #235
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks pretty nice,are u getting any vibrations driving down the road?
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #236
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

In reference to the lights up there, or something else?

I haven't had it on the freeway yet, but it should be fine. With those brackets, they are solid now. I drove over the curb and through some potholes to see how it did, they didn't budge.

Unread 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #237
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah i mean with the lights and brackets,just wondering how solid it was up there and if u were getting any kind of vibrations from it,i like the lights you chose,they dont seem to sit over top of basket like some others do but looks like you are gonna get a lot of light shining in cabin unless you keep sunroof closed.You might have to make some kind of shield mount under your lights if it becomes a problem.
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #238
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I didn't want them to flop around at all, so that is why I made the extended bars to support them. I imagine it would be like looking at the sun with the sunroof open. When we are night wheeling, it will just stay closed so that doesn't become an issue.

Unread 10-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #239
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

The HID's mounted on the roof rack are officially wired up and working! I was expecting them to be bright, but I had no idea how insane they would look. Four lights is probably overkill, they are blinding.

I bought the lights from CrawlerReady, Tyler is great to buy from.

I mounted the switches on the panel above the steering column and below the gauges. It is a great panel to use for switches because there is a ton of empty space behind the panel.

I like how it turned out. The switches are accessible, but not obnoxious.

They make the headlights look like they are parking lamps. I am really impressed with HID lights.

Unread 10-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #240
clgielin
2003 WJ 

Looks great Will! If we are on the trail in Moab after dark, I'll let you drive behind me so I can see...

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.