Project Yeti, Abominable WJ - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 09-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #196
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
They look like they are about 2 inches. I will be adding more to them though. The shocks I ordered will allow an inch and a half more uptravel, which should clear everything on the body.

Do you still have those same bumpstops in, any pics?
No I took them out since I got the 33s on. The 6" was perfect though with no trimming. I have pics from a while ago, ill need to dig them up

Unread 09-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #197
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick983 View Post
looks great, im sure it will be even better with shocks. what kind were the shocks you are currently running? im assuming they probably came with the kit or something? and more importantly, what kind of shocks are you going to go with?
They were the RK shocks. I think they were manufactured by Monroe. With the age of my kit, they couldn't remember. They were an oil shock, and rode VERY nice on the road. My favorite feature: They had built in rubber bump stops to keep the shock from destroying itself. It didn't allow the shocks to bottom out.

I went with Pro-Comp 9000's, I'll see how they do for now with my new measurements. It was only $130 for all four, I may go with MX6 adjustables next time around, and once I know I have the lengths dialed in. I was looking at the Bilsteins, but the MX6's were only a few bucks more. 4WP always does the buy 3 get one free deal with shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
No I took them out since I got the 33s on. The 6" was perfect though with no trimming. I have pics from a while ago, ill need to dig them up
Cool, thanks though. I will post pics when I eventually fab something up.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #198
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Bilsteins. My springs are a bit stiff on road, and the shocks can't do much to counter that, but on rough roads and off-road, the suspension is just made of awesome. I can't believe how much better the handling is from stock. Now that's where it gets fun. I give a lot of credit to the Bilsteins.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #199
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

That is good to hear. It pushes me even further in the direction of the MX6's for the future. The shocks I have make the WJ ride like a caddy, and I need something with a little more resistance. I will report back on how I like the 9000's.

My rear brake line came in today. The parts guy at the local dealership had a smile when he brought it out. It is quite the long line that they brought in for me. $15 for a pre-bent line, not bad.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 09-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #200
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I received my HID lights from CrawlerReady today! I will be mounting 4 of them on the roof. I will try to fab up a mount of some type this weekend, I want something more stable that the crossbars, and I don't think the mounting tabs that Surco makes for my rack will place the lights in the right place.

Unread 09-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #201
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Those lights are gonna look killer on there,wish i could put a roof rack and lights up top but dont wanna give up my garage parking,it would be close but dont think it will fit with my setup,i know the lights for sure wouldnt fit,looking forward to pics. after install
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #202
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I ordered some tab brackets so that I can attach the lights to the roof rack.

I would like to move the rack back 2 inches though so that the lights aren't above the sunroof at all. However, the tool that I have to loosen the brackets stripped out.

Does anyone have any clue how I can get these things loose, or where to find a quality steel socket that would work? I'm looking for a 15 point inverted torx style socket. Below are pics of the tool and the roof rack bracket that I need to loosen.

Unread 09-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #203
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Vice grips. :-)

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #204
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I wish, but the splines sit inside of the bracket and can't be accessed like that.

Unread 09-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #205
patrick983
2000 WJ 

kinda looks like a spline drive socket. hard to tell if it'd match up from the pics, id take the broken tool to a harbor freight or northern tool or something like that and take a look at a set and see if it matches up.

like this:
Unread 09-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #206
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Saaawwwweeetttt. I may have to head over to Harbor Freight this week, I didn't even think about that place.

Unread 09-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #207
smunns

If you can't find the correct socket, I'd just weld a nut to it.
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #208
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
Camping site is reserved for Oct 20-23, I am addicted to Moab. It looks like I will be there for work on Oct 28th also. I might have to drive the jeep down to do some wheeling after work hours.
I will try to make it down there on Thursday night if you want someone to run with. Also, I'm still coming to SLC on the 30th if you want to still wheel.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #209
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Sounds great. I replied to your thread about SLC wheeling and the times you will be available...I am hoping that your plans are for the afternoon, but I understand if that doesn't work with your schedule.

My bro and I will arrive in Moab on Oct 20th not long after the noon hour. I will make sure to get your cell from you at AmF Canyon so we can stay in touch about Moab!

Unread 09-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #210
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Well, I am officially SICK of having brake light, running light, and blinker issues with my tail lights. I ordered a set of LED lights off of Ebay. I love the look of 00JGC00's lights on the white WJ, so I bought the same style....he will be credited with inspiration kudos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.