Project Yeti, Abominable WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

Here we go again...The ZJ was a blast, but it was time for a change.

Project Yeti earned her name as a monster in the snow, and because of her color.

CURRENT INFO

- 1999 JGC Limited 4.7 Quadradrive
- 6.5" Rockkrawler Long Arm Kit (three link front)
- IRO rear upper A-arm
- 315x75x16 Goodyear MTR's
- 16x8 MB TKO's
- 4.56 Yukon Gears
- Iceland OffRoad Front Bumper w/winch cradle
- Front Mini D-rings
- Rear 3/4 D-ring shackle
- Iceland Fender Flares
- Iceland 3/16 Steel Rock Sliders
- Akebono Caliper's with HAWKS pads
- K&N drop in filter (Now removed, and the TB is staying cleaner)
- Flowmaster Delta Flow 44
- Surco Roof Rack (the first few pics show the garbage rack it came with)
- VentShade window covers
- JKS Quicker Disconnects (my favorite addition to date)
- JKS Bar Pin Eliminators
- Transgo Reprogramming Kit
- Superchips Programmer
- KOR Transfer Case Skid
- HID fog lights on the roof rack
- LED rock lights strips
- Protofab Rear tire carrier bumper
- Re-located washer bottle
- Uniden 520XL CB
- Firestick 36" antenna
- LED tail lights
- Smittybilt 8K synthetic line winch
- 12 O'clock Labs SpeedoDRD module

MY TO DO LIST

- Diff skid
- Diff Truss
- I might eventually do a 242 t-case
- Aux input

Current Pics:

Here is what it looked like when I first picked it up:

The rest of this info is more for my future reference...This is a good place to list it.

The shocks that came with the lift kit were likely sourced from Monroe, and came with a built in 1" rubber bump stop.
Front: 19" compressed, 31" extended
Rear: 20.5" compressed, 34.5" extended
The fronts work perfectly, but the rears limit stuff severely so I will go with a shorter shock. They aren't even close to maxing out on length.

The shocks I ordered to replace them were ProComp 9000 series.
Front: 18.75" compressed, 32" extended
Rear: 18.75" compressed, 32" extended

GCOTM Voting Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...43/index2.html

GCOTY 2012 Voting Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...e-now-1460739/

Here is my old ZJ:

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I learned real quick how much I like the MTRs after towing the boat through a 100 yard section of really deep mud. The boat was a mess. After getting a few feet in, I thought I had made a huge mistake.

Time to take a bath and get cleaned up. This is much better than waiting for hours at the boat ramp to put it in and out.

Bear Lake

First time out wheeling it.

I didn't dare flex too much...trimming was needed.

A friend measured up my RK kit and used it as a base to build his own...Here it is next to mine before he started his lift.

Not to bad of a cruiser though. I really like the feel of the Long Arm kits. Much smoother than I had anticipated.

It was time for new treads. The MTR's seemed to get louder as they wore, so back to the reliable BFG's. I stayed with 315x75x16's. After putting them on, I realized how much more I was rubbing with new tread again. So it was time to start trimming...

Sunglasses make great safety glasses...

I had to scrub the blue coating off of the lettering...

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

The trimming didn't last too long, I decided it was time to purchase some stuff from Iceland OffRoad. Here is a link to the full install:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ll-wj-1072703/

I had to cut the factory ones off with a big chunk of the bumper to prevent the tires from rubbing.

Here are some of the highlights:

It is just primed for now, but I will paint it to match later.

The front flares are now on.

The rear flares are complete.

Unread 11-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I found a set of 17 inch wheels with worn out Toyo MT's. I picked up those wheels/tires, and a fifth whee with a brand new spare all or $200.

I washed the dirt off of them, and set them next to the WJ. I will do a test fit/run when I have a spare hour.

Holes are drilled in the bumper now for better air flow to the lower section of the radiator. I like the look too. Large enough to get air in there, but not so large that it creates weak points.

With the Iceland rock sliders on.

Unread 11-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Awesome Jeep man! I really like it.

I love that picture of your jeep out in the water. I bet that's just a huge middle finger to all the people waiting to use the boat ramp. I'd love to see their reactions.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Yeah, it is always fun. The lake level drops really slow there, so I have to back out about 50 yards. Everyone on the beach just watches like I am crazy.

Unread 11-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! That front bumper is sick.
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is that front bumper winch compatible?

What do you have planned for a rear bumper?

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

The front bumper is winch compatible. I bought the non winch version as I don't have a winch right now. The bracketry is all the same though. All I have to do is cut the fairlead hole in the front, and cut a section out of the top, and a winch will go right in. It would take just a few minutes with a cut off wheel to make it work.

Check out my Iceland OffRoad Install thread, and you can see that a winch will install.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ll-wj-1072703/

I don't know what I am going to do yet for the rear. I may attempt my own fiberglass rear, not sure yet though.

Unread 11-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

yeah one hell of a build so far man it looks show case quality and done right

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
MCObray

Mmm l always had a thing for lifted WJ's . This one is clean and going to look so good on those Moabs! Are you going to use those tires that are on the Moabs when you put them on since there 17s and your current wheel size is 16s? Clean WJ my friend.
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #12
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Nice wj man. Super clean. Any future mods in mind?
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #13
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thats one clean jeep! I really dig the all white look you got going on, especially topped off with all of the iceland stuff. Speaking of which, i ordered the flares, maybe 2 months ago and still havent got them, how long does it usually take him to make this stuff? I know you went over there to pick your stuff up but he has been taking quite some time on the flares.

Dont mean to clog your thread, but you seem like you know iceland pretty good. On another note, keep up the clean build, i can tell your just getting started

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCObray View Post
Mmm l always had a thing for lifted WJ's . This one is clean and going to look so good on those Moabs! Are you going to use those tires that are on the Moabs when you put them on since there 17s and your current wheel size is 16s? Clean WJ my friend.
I will likely keep the old rims around for winter (AT's) and get some newer MT's for summer and wheeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Nice wj man. Super clean. Any future mods in mind?
Good Question. I just updated my first post to include this info.

Unread 11-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I am in love with your dub, man. I love snow Jeeps. That's what I'm calling this. Big tires, fender flares, that awesome Iceland bumper(my favourite of those available), and how clean you've done everything to top it off. If you get those Moabs on there, I might just be tempted to buy the thing from you.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.