Project: WJ Family Overlander - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project: WJ Family Overlander

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andHey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerrai

Unread 11-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Project: WJ Family Overlander

Well going back 6-8 years ago I had a lifted zj on 4.5" with 33's. 44a rear and 30 from with Aussie. 4.56 gears, trimmed, snorkel with all vent lines extender to it ect. I had to get ride of it when life got in the way.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago I had the bug and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I just knew I had to get another grand Cherokee and get back into the woods. This time with my family. I went it looked at a bunch and then found a diamond in the rough. Low mile, 2000 grand Cherokee limited. All the bells and whistles minus adjustable pedals which was fine.

This jeep was gross. It looked like the guy lived in it. Old food bags of every fast food place. Food scraps in every crevice you could imagine. Trunk full of garbage to the point of when he opened it a landslide happened.

My wife was disgusted at the site but at the price I offered him to buy it the deal was too good not to buy the jeep.

First thing was I sent it off to a detailer. I wasn't going to touch the inside of it. I mean I was grossed out too. When I picked it up I was amazed. Six hours of two guys cleaning and it came out great. Just about every coffee and grease stain gone too.

About a week into ownership I realized the passenger side doesn't have heat and the jeep would make a weird noise while braking but only if I brake hard enough. The brake issue was the t-case shifter cable rubbing which was easily fixed.

I ordered the blenddorstor kit and worked outside in the pitch black to fix it. Well I had a flashlight. Start to finish took 1.5 hours including set up and clean up. Probable could have done it in an hour if I wasn't trying to position a flashlight the whole time.

Now with a clean jeep and heat my wife is happy again. However I'm not. Last week I ordered IRO 3" kit with adjustable track bar, all new isolators, moog super trail boss steering stabilizer and bilstein 5100's. I'm waiting for all those parts to come in.

Today I'm going to score JK rubicon take offs to use with the lift.

97 ZJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
eastcoastcam
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It cleaned up nice ! I just picked up a 2002 Overland on the weekend myself! I think I vacuumed out half of a beach from mine, as it was a California Jeep. Too clean to pass up, condition wise, with other rust buckets here in NS with close asking prices and some asking more...

Wish my wife would go for a lift, but she wants ours to stay pretty and stock. I guess I'll live with it for now that way...
eastcoastcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

I wish I had before pictures. Man was it gross!!

My wife loves seeing lifted jeeps. She will hopefully enjoy taking ours out!
Unread 11-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Few pictures of the rims and tires thst will go on the jeep once lifted. 6k miles on them and only paid $500 for the 5.

Unread 11-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
eastcoastcam
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice score !
eastcoastcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2014, 03:53 AM   #6
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastcam View Post
Nice score !

Thank you. I'm quite happy about it!
Unread 11-29-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Installed Fawkes Fabrication front shackle tabs. Things things are pure beef. For rear recover I have the factory hitch and shackle receiver shackle. With recovery points front and rear i feel more comfortable going in the woods.

Unread 12-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Parts are stacking up. New full steel not capped black lug nuts. All 8 crown isolators. Moog super trail stabilizer and bilstein 5100's. Just waiting on the IRO 3" kit.

Also debating on getting 10mm spacers to help with the jk take offs. Any opinions?
Unread 12-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Can't wait to see this evolution. .... I had the white version of your build before things got out of control lol. Always wanted a black one.
Unread 12-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum5.9 View Post
Can't wait to see this evolution. .... I had the white version of your build before things got out of control lol. Always wanted a black one.
Just checked your profile. It's good to know my jeep will look good at 3" and the 32's. I'm still undecided if another 1/2" is needed. Well the 10mm spacers.
Unread 12-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

All lift parts are in. It's cold out. I need to find a buddy with an open garage lol
Unread 01-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #12
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Rugged ridge mats came in yesterday. Will put them in soon. Cb mount, cable and firestik antenna came. That will get installed over the weekend. Lift next week.
Unread 01-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Unread 01-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #14
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Started the lift yesterday and like most WJ's the front coil buckets are almost non existing which is scary thinking of the trips I took it on since I've had it from November. Lift should be done and aligned today. Then to see where I must trim.
Unread 01-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #15
97 ZJ Steve
2000 WJ 

Lift finished. Quick poser picture before I went food shopping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.