Project: War Wagon - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project: War Wagon

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 08-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #106
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Damn dude.. lookin good! I see lots of people upgrading to the synthetic line.. good to have that peace of mind on the trail that the line wont snap. If you dont mind me asking, how much was the whole winch set up?
thanks man I have been working pretty hard on this thing and it is starting to pay off.

The winch was the result of alot of research. I sprung for the RECON 10.5k syn winch. This thing is pretty sweet. It's fairly fast and super lightweight. I ran it two times on full length pulls today one flat the other up a nasty climb and it barely got warm.

I talked to the guys at Truckandwinch.com on the phone several times and had a good feeling about it. So i paid 525 shipped to my door. That was the whole package, winch, synline, cover, 2 clevis',snatch block, treesaver, wireless remote. AND it has a 3 year warrrenty

Recon 10,500 lbs Premium Winch Kit | TruckandWinch.com

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #107
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

May have found that the bumper hinders my approach angle more than i would like.
I think most of this is just shear fact of having a bumper. Especially since i went so long with no bumper and had insane approach angle.

I will get used to it I think, I also think that adding 2'' spacers will help with it. Adding the 2'' spacers should help alot, I believe the 4'' rough country springs are starting to sag with all the weight of steel i have added. So probably get it to 5.5 inches of lift with the 2'' spacers.

Had a club BBQ today and I'm sure i will have a few pictures.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #108
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so after another mini wheeling trip at my buddies house, I have just found that i am draggin my mid section everywhere.

In addition to adding the 2'' coil spacers which will improve everything. But.... A belly skid would do wonders.
This is a super rough google sketchup but you get the idea. And it helps me get an idea of what I will be building (hopefully) tomorrow.

Inputs? I will weld the 2'' square to the STOCK cross member. This won't be super permanent because iw ill be building a new x member for the LA's

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #109
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

First time I have stumbled on your thread. This is my style of build, looking great.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #110
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4883 View Post
First time I have stumbled on your thread. This is my style of build, looking great.
Thanks man I appreciate it. I really have fallen in love with the ZJ's nothing better than v8 and coil's.

So as I am web wheelin here i snapped a few photo's of another project i have going on with the war wagon.
Rear quarter protection. I was eyeballing these for quite awhile over at mall crawlin. Than CLninja did a great upgrade with these. So i copied some of his idea (hopefully he doesn't mind) I have cut the right side. Pretty simple. These are out of 1/8th flat. I am starting thinking that this may be a little thick but i don't know. The bend in the body panel of the zj is pretty bowed and getting the 1/8th to bend. So who knows. Lot's of work to go. Just show and telling.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #111
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Full corners, **** yeah. Looks like I hopped in at just the right time.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #112
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

I love armour!! just mine needs a little more

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #113
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys The armor on the rig is awesome, it's also adding a bit of weight. Hopefully i will be done soon with adding steel.

Tonight I got alot of work done.
I added a 2'' spring keeper for the rear. I had a problem with dropping out the spring when fully flexed. I had two options, either add limiting strap or add a spring keeper.
Since it only over flexed about a 1/2'' i opted to weld in some 2''extentions to the top of the spring keeper to keep it under control.
Pretty simple, I will snap some pictures tomorrow.
here is a picture of what happened everytime it flexed out the rear:

So with the addition of the lockers and beefy axles, I find myself getting into more and more situations that require a little more clearance.

I ended up sourcing a 2'' spacer kit to add to my 4'' Rough country lift.30$ was a good investment. The way it sat was 3 1/2 inches of lift from the 4'' springs. They sag quite a bit and with all the additions (swing away, bumper(s) winch) So the over all lift is 5 1/2'' So that is perfect with the adjustable short arms.
I really dig the new stance. Also all the creaking went away that i had. It must have been from the rear stacked isolators. As usual i will snap a few photo's tomorrow when i get a chance.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #114
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A few pics flexing the jeep out with the new 2'' coil spacers.
These things really improved the ride of the truck. It got rid of alot of the creaking that the isolators were providing. They also firmed up the ride which is welcomed. I really dig the stance on it too. Overall super pumped for the progress lately.

Before:

After 2'' coil spacers:

flexing it out

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #115
indredsnake99
1998 ZJ 

jeeps looks good i have to say the rear bumper is my favorite part
2007 sahara 2 door wrangler stock bought 02/08/2011

Western Mass 4x4 KEVIN'S OFF ROAD IRON ROCK OFFROAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post
You'll learn a lot. I didn't know anything when I first joined this site either. (not sure if that's changed at all :laugh:)
indredsnake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #116
rmtomasin
1998 ZJ 

very nice man i like your swing out with the hi lift mount good fab skills
Built Not Bought #233
98 ZJ I6
Build Thread
rmtomasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #117
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

looks very nice, i like it alot

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #118
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indredsnake99 View Post
jeeps looks good i have to say the rear bumper is my favorite part
Thanks man, it's nice that i got two more to make for people so I guess the design really appeals to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtomasin View Post
very nice man i like your swing out with the hi lift mount good fab skills
Yeah i really like the swingaway. Really free's up some room in the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike300 View Post
looks very nice, i like it alot
Thanks man, I dont think it will be getting tiger stripes anytime soon, but it may get some more of those custom tree pinstripes.

Here is a super cool idea a guy had at the local car show. He is in our club and a few of the guys spit shined their vehicle for the show. But this is pretty cool and looks slick.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #119
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

i see your making yourself some rear quarter protection like mine

mine are made out of 3/16th btw so your 1/8 should be just fine

i took mine to a local machine shop that could roll steel and had them roll the quarter panel armor to match the curve of the stock quarter panel

have you decided what your doing for mounting and for the fuel door yet?

lemme know if you need any help/advise along the way with those
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #120
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

WOW!! 3/16'' really that is some heavy stuff.
Rolling it to the bend of the quarter will be tough, I think i am gonna use some ghetto fab 2x4''s and a bottle jack and see what i can get it too.

As for the fuel door I believe i am gonna cut out the hole, and pretty much leave it. Either do the Wrangler upgrade or leave it with the stock door. Not sure at this point. I thin i am gonna mount rub bars on mine also just cause these trails up here are silly narrow.

Whidbey4x4.com

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.