Project: War Wagon - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project: War Wagon

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #31
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Hey man, i dig your rig a lot! Very nice stance. Im wondering if you are running front upper control arms with that RC lift kit, cause I am thinking of getting that kit and I have a u joint front driveshaft and i am wondering if i will have any problems running 4" with stock front uppers.

Unread 02-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #32
PaLftr
1997 ZJ 

Lovin it bro.
PaLftr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #33
chicagoniner
1998 ZJ 

I love yours man. trade? :P
chicagoniner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #34
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
This is correct. AFAIK, you can run a 760x in place of a 297x. I believe they have the same dimensions.

297x shafts were standard in my 1998 Laredo.
Yes, they have the same size 1.18" caps and are 20% stronger and last longer.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #35
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the praise guys, this truck surprises me every time I'm out. She really does just purr and be-bop down the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Hey man, i dig your rig a lot! Very nice stance. Im wondering if you are running front upper control arms with that RC lift kit, cause I am thinking of getting that kit and I have a u joint front driveshaft and i am wondering if i will have any problems running 4" with stock front uppers.
I think in my Sig it says full arms, i need to change that. I am running stock upper links. My original plan was to purchase adjustable uppers and throw them in there but i have not done that since next will be full Home made long arm kit.

My thoughts on the kit are pretty good. I run my rear pinion angle turned up to the tcase and extended my WB approx 3/4 of an inch.
The fronts are great, no binding and still handles well on the road. I am using stock RC shocks and the 4'' rubicon express bump stops. A bump stop is vital to a truck like this which you want low and stable. Remember, you don't get alot of wheel travel by "stuffing a wheel" Most of it is by dropping it, i prefer to carry a wheel rather than having a bunch of unstable flex.
Another point on this "kit" Dont use the junk front track bar relocationg bracket garbage. Do your self a favor and pony up for a quality track bar, I got the Iron Rock double shear setup and it is awesome. It leaves me open for upgrades in the future and tightened up my steering and control. I really like it. IMHO get the kit and you really like it. I think that covered your question.

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #36
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Postponed building the swingaway tonight to get the guy in the red ZJ's axle going. He went with the Iron rock bracket kit and is going to run this 98 8.8 axle with the LSD for awhile. Thought i would post some pics since i should be doing the same with mine.

Since I am in the navy the Jeep will be taking a break for 4 months as i am obligated with some orders, gotta keep uncle sam happy.
So stay tuned major things will be coming in may, I promise

Worked on Ruinx's 8.8 a little tonight. He obtained a LSD carrier and wanted to install that since a little more traction is better than having an open diff.

First was to weld the tubes, ford used plug welds and have been known to spin or break. I welded the cast to steel. Its a little difficult because of the different cooling rates of cast vs steel. I ended up welding approx 1.5inch at a time all the way around and it turned out well and seemed to cool pretty effectively.

second step was tearing out stock open carrier, kind of a pain, set up new carrier with original ring(they are all matched sets)

A little pic of the gear mesh after adjusting pinion bearing depth. I forgot the coast side, but it looks just as good.

Weld

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 04-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #37
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

dude. your jeep looks so BA. looks like yal have some nice lookin wheelin country too
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #38
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Small update, Winch ordered

Thanks for the kind words, Hopefully she is gonna be more "BA" here in the next month and half.

Ordered a winch for the front. I did tons of research and decided to go with the recon 10.5k synthetic line winch. This deal was very easy on the pocket book with exceptional review's all over the internet. Talked with the salesperson for awhile and bought with confidence. The 3 yr warrenty helped also.
Recon 10,500 lbs Premium Winch Kit | TruckandWinch.com

Waiting to also hear back on an axle set.
I was going to be using a HP30 with a eaton elocker, 8.8 setup.
Than i came across a 29 spline 8.25 4.56' soft locker and HP30 trutrac 4.56's currie steering , skids, diff,covers, extra axles front and rear.

So as soon as i hear back those should be going under the Jeep. Plenty of strength and lockers/geardriven LSD will be real nice and keep it drivable.

Also gonna be ordering hood louvers,DIY beadlocks and aux lights for roof from norther tool and some more surprises.
file_20_8.jpg  

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #39
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

That looks nice! I'm going the same way. I'll be ordering the same 4" kit in a month or so. Glad to here you like it.

Bummer on the orders, I'm in the same boat, I'm Army and currently on my orders.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #40
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
That looks nice! I'm going the same way. I'll be ordering the same 4" kit in a month or so. Glad to here you like it.

Bummer on the orders, I'm in the same boat, I'm Army and currently on my orders.
Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah you will like the 4'' kit, Make sure you get the adjustable track bars. At least the front, the rear drop bracket you should be able to tolerate for a while.

At least my orders aren't horrible right now, we are changing over jets so i get another navy sponsored school. But central California is quite the hole. Ready to get back to the wife and projects.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #41
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

its been awhile since ive hit you up on here, you back in WA and ready for a wheelin trip?
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #42
cheapjeeps85
1999 TJ Wrangler 

looks good man
cheapjeeps85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #43
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Looks good. Cant wait to see more of it

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #44
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjzach View Post
its been awhile since ive hit you up on here, you back in WA and ready for a wheelin trip?
I'm so down for a wheeling trip. Got quite a few trips planned for the summer. The 29th we are going to walker valley by burlington. pretty fun trails. Check out whidbey4x4.com and come along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeeps85 View Post
looks good man
Thank's It should be looking alot better when i get back. Some black cladding and hood louvers will help it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike300 View Post
Looks good. Cant wait to see more of it
Towards the end of the month she will really be making progress so stay tuned.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 05-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #45
MissKays01WJ
2001 WJ 

Nice rig man!!! Cant wait to see more!
MissKays01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.