Project: War Wagon - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project: War Wagon

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits 2010-14 Jeep Wrangler Island Topper Black Rugged Ridge 1352007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Black Cargo Net (

Unread 01-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #16
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

During this last stage I also did a 231 swap.
I am not going to bore everyone with details on how I swapped intake shafts from my 249 to a 231 from a 1994 zj. This Modifcation has made a difference off road. Its simpler lighter and stronger. With a mechanical lock to 4wd low it is a great piece of mind.
My Shafts Fit Front and rear. I grabbed the I6 shafts just in case but found that the rear was too long and the front was just right. I shortened the rear to correct length and use as a trail spare.

For my gripes on this setup and build so far...
The RC 4'' rear springs are saggy, I put an extra isolator in rear to compensate
I am still running a 35c rear axle with good luck. I am counting on this good "luck" to last til spring. The axle is strong enough for 33'' tires and wheeling it is just always in the back of your mind. Knowing when to stop and when to use the skinny is a must also.
Front CV style shafts are also holding up, soon to be replaced with 260x style shafts. Still always in the back of my mind.
Front bumper will be built similar style to the rear, just have to find motivation.

Modification future.
This spring it will get reworked Lockers gears and winch
Rear axle swapped to a 97+ 8.8 with lunchbox locker 4.56 gears
front axle selectable locker OX? or ARB? leaning towards OX 4.56 gears
weld on beadlocks
smittybuilt winch or if i come across a good used one.
Hood louvers
Skid plates (fabbed of course)
Possible long arm suspension(matters on down time, gotta keep wheelin this thing!)

Let me know what you think. I will snap some better photos of rear bumper tomorrow and as it sits pics. thanks guys xmattx

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #17
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

lookin good man.
i hate you WA people. i want your terrain SO badly
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #18
bigbluezj94
1994 ZJ 

jeep looks sweet man

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]BigBlue build 3/4 ton axles, LAs, 37s [/COLOR][/B]
[B][U][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818891[/url] [/U][/B]

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ, 4.7 liter, 247 Quadra Trac II, fully loaded

[color=Black][center][size=4][font=Showcard Gothic][color=Black][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][color=Black]Built Not Bought #033[/color][/url][/color][/font][/size][/center]
[/color]
[/CENTER]
bigbluezj94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #19
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

your PM box is full

anyway, whens the next time you plan on going wheelin? i can meet up with you guys and we can talk about sliders then, and get a good day of wheelin in.

thats easier imo then emailing back and forth, and will save me a trip up to oak harbor, and wont waste your time or mine.
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #20
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

I am diggin the beer rest.

Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:12 AM   #21
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
lookin good man.
i hate you WA people. i want your terrain SO badly
I know what your saying, I paid my dues learning to wheel in Iowa. I know your pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjzach View Post
your PM box is full

anyway, whens the next time you plan on going wheelin? i can meet up with you guys and we can talk about sliders then, and get a good day of wheelin in.

thats easier imo then emailing back and forth, and will save me a trip up to oak harbor, and wont waste your time or mine.
We are talking later on in January, we just got done with a pretty intense trip today, i will be in contact for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluezj94 View Post
jeep looks sweet man
Thank you appreciate it. I'm trying to plan ahead and take my time with each mod.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 01-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #22
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Was out wheeling pretty hard yesterday, my camera gave out but I know some other guys got some photos.
Few Shots of the painted, semi finished bumper.

Really doesn't do it justice how it turned out all dirty like that. You get the idea.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 01-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

MISC photos

Overall photo

How the OBA tank turned out, Wife wanted it purple. So naturally it turned out purple

CB mount
My uniden fit right where the Ash tray was and it fits really well, no interference at all while shifting or even getting in the way.

Front recovery point/radiator support, fairly simple and straight forward. It was a satisfying little project. I haven't had to use them yet.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 01-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #24
Rocker555
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks real good man
Rocker555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #25
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Went wheeling with a good group of guys, covered alot of ground. A few pictures, the rock face is known as expressway, pretty good obstacle especially when wet. She handled pretty well, little bit of a pucker factor with the D35

This is a 2'' budget boost and on 30'' tires. He always keeps up pretty well and always ready with a tow strap

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 02-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #26
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A couple people were asking on what I was using for a pivot and latch.
Tonight i started getting the swing away tire carrier. I forgot how much fun it is to use the Notcher, it worked like a dream. Tomorrow night i will be mounting it up and starting work on the carrier.

Notched out:

this is how it will be mounted to the bumper:

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #27
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Since you are going to run 456 gears and a locker in the front, you might want to beef up the axle shaft ujoints with something larger than 260x's. IRO sells the heavy duty dana axle shafts with 297x ujoints. I think the largest ujoints for a d30 are 760x but not sure.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #28
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
Since you are going to run 456 gears and a locker in the front, you might want to beef up the axle shaft ujoints with something larger than 260x's. IRO sells the heavy duty dana axle shafts with 297x ujoints. I think the largest ujoints for a d30 are 760x but not sure.
This is correct. AFAIK, you can run a 760x in place of a 297x. I believe they have the same dimensions.

297x shafts were standard in my 1998 Laredo.
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #29
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, i should have corrected that I meant that i was going to put 297x shafts/joints in the front. For some reason that 260 number sticks out in my mind. Thanks for pointing that out guys

I have since changed choice of front locker to going with the Eaton Elocker. I think this is a better option than anything else on the market.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #30
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

great build so far man, keep up the good work!

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Mudzilla6661 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.