Project: War Wagon - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project: War Wagon

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #196
1preacherman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, now we need to build door handle armor :-)

Ronald Reagan

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]My build Thread[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-whiteout-1008697/[/url]

A proud member of the "Polite Society"; Ask me how to join!
1preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #197
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Still not tech in this build thread. I just keep wheeling it. There is just nothing that breaks on this thing. I still have the weak battery but that is pretty small.
My rig was out on the rocks and trails all day sunday, we went out with a hardcore group. There was three of us and we had a blast.

I had to winch twice. My little guy tires(33'') were the main culprit with the super deep sticky PNW mud.

I have a few pictures. hopefully you guys dig it.

This is one of the first trails we went up. This place was pretty rutted. Also a lot of fun.

link to a facebook video
Matt Gerstandt | Facebook

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #198
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A couple of video's
I know they are facebook but i know most of you have one.
Welcome to Facebook

a very cool hill climb short but pay attention:
Welcome to Facebook

As usual guys let me know what you think.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #199
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys,
Once again time for an update on the ol' War Wagon.
I have been wheeling it pretty hard all winter. She has held up awesome with minimal fuss.

On our last trip I ended up bending the upper control arms on the front. (pictures soon)

Also I have been having a hard time with front dana 30 axle shafts. The 33'' tires ARB have been pretty hard on things.

On a trip yesterday to the local Pick a part we had quite the finds.

for 33$ we got:
1 short side D30 297 shaft w/bearing
1 set of GTP hood louvers (going on a buddy's ZJ)
2 upper control arms
1 ORVIS gas tank skid

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #200
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Started with the skid plate. I was super pumped to find this in the yard. It was literally laying next to the Orvis edition ZJ. So naturally I was getting out of there hell or highwater with it. When i went to check out my jaw dropped when he said 6.50$. Very cool. This beats fabing one up. It should be plenty durable for my application.

Fist cleaned up the skid with a wire wheel and a little sand paper.

first coat with my favorite color lately Satin black

final coat:

This will be installed later in the week. Pictures to follow of what it will look like.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #201
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since this is the first time i have ever had a problem with the stock upper arms, i decided to just replace them with stock again. Money has been a little tight and I am saving for all the Joints for the LA build.

To make these arms last quite awhile I decided to plate them with some 1/8'' stock. These will really brace the venerable center section of the stock "hat" arms.

So this is what Plated control arms look like: enjoy

tacked into place the 1/8'' strip. The strip is 1.5'' and 9'' long

welded up,
I ended up welding 1.5'' at a time to control heat. Running a continuous bead just generates too much heat.

These will be great. Anxious to get these on the truck towards the end of the week.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #202
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Removed the bent control arms.

And man were they bent.

These bent arms were approx. 1/2'' shorter than what they should have been. That was deff. adding to the odd handling quirks the ZJ has had lately.

Pictures.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #203
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

yeesh, howd you manage to do that to them?
Unread 01-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #204
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

To be honest, Nothing out of the ordinary. They may have been tweaked for awhile so once they started bending it really bent. Our trails are pretty twisty and rock so who knows. If you look through the build thread you can see i treat my ZJ trail rig like a Trail rig.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #205
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Well, you've got a 5.5" lift with some heavy gear on your Jeep, it's 17+ years old, and these are stock short arms we're talking about. They're plenty strong for stock applications, but when you get up to a build like you've got, I think LA's are a necessity. Best of luck saving up for them, man. Though I think the reinforced stock arms look pretty nice. If the stock ones without plating lasted as long as they did, these will no doubt do in a pinch until you can replace them. I just imagine 5.5" on short arms must suck.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #206
Everlast2004
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good bro! Great fab work as always. Those UCA's were smoked. I am still on the lookout for good 8.8. Found a couple, but they have all had bent housings. Keep up the build thread as everything is looking top notch.
Everlast2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #207
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Well, you've got a 5.5" lift with some heavy gear on your Jeep, it's 17+ years old, and these are stock short arms we're talking about. They're plenty strong for stock applications, but when you get up to a build like you've got, I think LA's are a necessity. Best of luck saving up for them, man. Though I think the reinforced stock arms look pretty nice. If the stock ones without plating lasted as long as they did, these will no doubt do in a pinch until you can replace them. I just imagine 5.5" on short arms must suck.
The ride of my jeep w/ the short arms is not that bad at all. I think the weight of the steel protection all over it helps quite a bit.

These uppers should last at least for the next 6 mos. I leave to Iraq in May, so it would be nice to put minimal cash/time into my rig for the next few months. It makes more sense to just wheel the snot out of it and enjoy the trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlast2004 View Post
Looking good bro! Great fab work as always. Those UCA's were smoked. I am still on the lookout for good 8.8. Found a couple, but they have all had bent housings. Keep up the build thread as everything is looking top notch.
Thanks man for the compliments. Keep your eye out for the 8.8's you will find a good one. Have you had anyluck finding wheeling spots around you in MO? Hope your doing well.

Whidbey4x4.com
Unread 02-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #208
Everlast2004
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Found a couple so far. Went out to Flat Nasty (flatnasty.net). Still want to go to SMORR (Southern Missouri Offroad Ranch), Wash!ta and a couple others. There are a lot of rocks around here! Good ol Ozark mountains. The trails remind me of WA, but not as steep. Rolled thoough Moab on the way out here. Go there if you ever have a chance! It is Jeep Mecca!

I see that you are getting ready to roll out, so be safe over there and keep ur head down.
Everlast2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #209
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

bump for updates!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #210
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
bump for updates!
No updates, No time.

But i do have the hard part of your bumper build done......

next updates should be front long arm's, belly skid, die hard platnium battery and more wheeling.

Whidbey4x4.com

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.