HOLY CRAP!!! Front case swap complete, finally! Murphy was giving me the business today. It started this morning when I walked out to the garage and found that overnight my jack went a little limp and allowed the transmission to drop as far as it could and leak all over the floor. Luckily nothing was broken or pulled apart in the process. I ended up using a nail to make a nice little punch for getting the roll pin out of the shift fork and shaft by cutting off the point, and then I flipped it over to the nail head to replace the pin during reassembly. Of course after I reinstalled the shift forks and roll pin I realized that I forgot to put the lock ring that hold the planetary gear set in place, so out it all came again, along with some choice language. Once Frankencase was all put together and in its place under the Jeep I found out that the slip yoke on the rear output was a little too long. I decided to be brave and grind off about 3/8" from the slip yoke. After wrestling with the linkage a little bit, I started it up and ran through all the gears and t-case selections, besides warning lights (ABS, "check 4x4 switch) all over the place everything worked fine. After pulling the VIC and unplugging the red plugs and plugging in the black plugs, all is well. The VIC displays "part time" and "full time", and the ABS warning light went out too. All in all it was worth it, the Jeep accelerates better, the lighter load on the engine is noticeable and the Jeep turns better. I was thinking of doing the exhaust tomorrow, but I have changed my mind, maybe next weekend!
Proving daily that I have gears for brains!