Project: Lesson Learned...ish! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project: Lesson Learned...ish!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Nice man. Lookin forward to the build up.

And AP's dub is so sick.

Unread 10-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Money is making a mass exodus from the bank account! Drive train parts ordered and suspension lift ordered. You will all have to wait to see what I got though. I did decide that in the spirit of manliness that I would forgo a professional install on the drive train bits and do it myself. I feel like that because I know that I don't know what I am doing, that armed with the right tools and resources that I will be able to do a good job. There are dumb s*** mechanics out there that think they know what they are doing and screw stuff up fairly often. An added bonus to doing it myself is that with the money I saved I decided to spend a couple hundred more on a better lift. More to follow!
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #33
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Guess who paid me visit! 30 spline chromoly axel shafts... that's right!
shafts.jpg

Unread 10-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #34
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCjunkie93 View Post
Nice man. Lookin forward to the build up.

And AP's dub is so sick.
...and thank you Junkie, me too!
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #35
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Got some things accomplished today. Brakes are done, the front brakes weren't too bad, but the rears were none too good. I figured out why my parking brake wasn't working either, there is no more pad left on the brake shoes on the driver's side and only small pieces remaining on the passenger side. I didn't change out the shoes because I didn't feel like it. I will be pulling the rears apart anyway when I put in those Yukon chromoly shafts and the other tid-bits I have in store. How do the new slotted and drilled rotors (up front) and new pads work? Much improvement over the old stuff. I don't know why dudes get so caught up in whiz-bang modifications, but nearly always forget their brakes. I paid about $45 apiece for the slotted/drilled rotors from Summit Racing. They may not be fancy Powerstop or SSBC rotors, but they are better than stock and are fairly inexpensive.

I also decided to see if toothpaste would work on my headlights... Yes it does. I used Arm and Hammer toothpaste and rubbed it around on the lenses for a few minutes. I think if I spent a little more time on them that they could come out even better. Not too shabby for a few bucks.
front-disc.jpg

rear-disc.jpg

pads.jpg

hl-before.jpg

hlafter.jpg

Unread 10-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

I had another visit today, 4.10 ring and pinions, master overhaul kits, and my saving grace on this upcoming project, "Differentials" by every Jeep owner's buddy Jim Allen and of course Randy Lyman of Randy's Ring and Pinion.
more-stuffs.jpg

Unread 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #37
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

We got a bunch of rain here in Clarksville, TN on Saturday night and Sunday morning, I saw this guy in the parking lot outside of the CrossFit competition I took part in on Sunday, he had the passenger's side tires in the mud, and the driver's side tires on the gravel... Torque follows the path of least resistance, a reminder of why I shelled out the dough to buy this beautiful chunk of metal! An OX locker with electric shift! It appears to be a fantastic piece of machinery, along with the integrated differential cover (heavy chunk-o-metal) it appears to me like a heck of a deal for the price. I ordered all of the stuff for the axels, minus a new carrier for the front (4.10 R & Ps, 30 spline chromly shafts, 30 spline electric actuated OX locker, and master install kits) for about what I paid for the Jeep strait from OX Manufacturing.

I have a long weekend coming up, I am getting the headliner replaced on Friday, I plan to do my NP249 to NP242 swap starting on Saturday... Depending on how long all that takes (and if I get the lift in time) I may try to install the suspension lift too.
toyota.jpg

ox.jpg

Unread 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Another Brown Santa visit, my 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with nitrogen shocks and by new carrier for the 4.10 ring & pinion up front! Let the real wrenching begin!
ruby-x.jpg

Unread 10-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #39
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Headliner replaced! It looks real good and didn't take the dude very long, $175, I think it was worth paying someone else to deal with that one. I pulled the NP242 apart yesterday too, but I got hung up on the shift forks/rod/roll pin. I tried to use a #1 easy out and it wasn't getting me anywhere. Then a had both read and seen videos of dudes prying the shift forks away from the "rooster comb"... DON'T DO IT! I tried it, got one fork off but I mashed up the pin that rides inside the grooves. I will try to drill out the roll pin today to get the other fork off and either buy another pin to replace it or swap the roll pin out of my 249 when it comes apart. My camera is in the garage and I am too lazy right now to go get it. I will post pictures later.
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #40
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Okay, Here come the updates:
Headliner, very happy!

I also decided I should clean out my workspace before getting too crazy.
headliner.jpg

workspace-before.jpg

workspace-after.jpg

Unread 10-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #41
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

NP242 pulled apart, it was very clean inside which makes me happy being as it was a junkyard find. There was a small amount of shavings on the magnet at the bottom of the case, but no big bits. You can see from the pictures where I jacked up the little pin that rides inside the shift thingy (I should look at the diagram I have in the background to get you guys the real name), and you can see the roll pin. I ended up not drilling it out. I ended up rotating the shifter beyond where it would typically go (worked on both cases) and the shift fork and shaft popped right out. I still recommend getting the roll pin out before hand so that you don't mess something up prying like I did.
split-242.jpg

magnet.jpg

busted-pin.jpg

roll-pin.jpg

Unread 10-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #42
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

I got the NP249 out, that mother was a PITA!!! The top two nuts were hard to get to even after lowering the trans a few inches. Just for fun three of the studs pulled out of the case, gotta love wrenching on older junk! I got the NP249 all pulled apart and the front half clean (on the inside). I drilled the hole on the case to access the roll pin. Very easy to do, just used a punch to keep the drill bit from walking then used two different bits to step up to the size I needed. I thought I was doing well then I found out I need more RTV because my tube is all dried out. That is where it ends for today, I don't feel like going back to the auto parts store and I have a Nashville Predators Hockey Game to go to.
249-out.jpg

249-front-half.jpg

pre-drill.jpg

post-drill.jpg

Unread 10-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #43
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

HOLY CRAP!!! Front case swap complete, finally! Murphy was giving me the business today. It started this morning when I walked out to the garage and found that overnight my jack went a little limp and allowed the transmission to drop as far as it could and leak all over the floor. Luckily nothing was broken or pulled apart in the process. I ended up using a nail to make a nice little punch for getting the roll pin out of the shift fork and shaft by cutting off the point, and then I flipped it over to the nail head to replace the pin during reassembly. Of course after I reinstalled the shift forks and roll pin I realized that I forgot to put the lock ring that hold the planetary gear set in place, so out it all came again, along with some choice language. Once Frankencase was all put together and in its place under the Jeep I found out that the slip yoke on the rear output was a little too long. I decided to be brave and grind off about 3/8" from the slip yoke. After wrestling with the linkage a little bit, I started it up and ran through all the gears and t-case selections, besides warning lights (ABS, "check 4x4 switch) all over the place everything worked fine. After pulling the VIC and unplugging the red plugs and plugging in the black plugs, all is well. The VIC displays "part time" and "full time", and the ABS warning light went out too. All in all it was worth it, the Jeep accelerates better, the lighter load on the engine is noticeable and the Jeep turns better. I was thinking of doing the exhaust tomorrow, but I have changed my mind, maybe next weekend!
jack-fail.jpg

roll-pin-tool.jpg

frankencase-going-.jpg

yoke-before.jpg

yoke-after.jpg

Unread 10-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #44
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

So far so good with the transfer case. There seems to be a cooling system issue I need to handle. I had noticed for a couple of weeks that the Jeep does not like to sit at an idle, the temperature would climb over 210 but if I put in neutral and sped the engine up to about 1500-1800 RPM it would come back down. Today after a short (4 miles) trip on the interstate I found myself in stop and go traffic and the temp gauge took off like a rocket (made it to about 240-250 before I got to the Home Depot parking lot and shut it down). On the way home from the store it was back to normal... normal for itself at least. I think it may be the fan clutch but don't want to replace the fan clutch because I would rather do an e-fan conversion. I may just change the thermostat and see if that helps for now.
Unread 10-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #45
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Maybe I need a new hobby! Things are always harder than they should be... New exhaust in today, I am very happy with the outcome. Unfortunately I had to undo the welding that we did at a coworkers house. Tailpipe and muffler would not go in together, I even tried unbolting the tack bar and still no dice. Out came the reciprocating saw and another trip to Auto Zone. Funny thing, I was reading in the "you know you drive a ZJ when" thread a little while ago and a post mentioned when the dude at behind the counter at the parts store knows you by name, the Auto Zombie asked me today, "you still messing with that Jeep... yes I am! The Dynomax Ultraflo is a pretty sweet muffler. It is a strait through muffler, it is hardly noticeable at a cruise but it reminds you that there are eight slapping pistons under the hood when you depress the go pedal.

I think I have squashed the cooling system issue. I decided to buy a new radiator cap, took off the old one and it fell apart in my hand. I also changed the thermostat. Of course, as is everything I do, I couldn't get to the clamp on the upper hose because it was under the alternator so I had to swing it out of the way. I expected to make a mess when I pulled the radiator hose, but it was dry as a bone. When it as going back together I put nearly three liters of fluid into the radiator before it was topped up, despite the the coolant reservoir being at the correct level. Took it for a ride, all is well.
new-ex.jpg

rad-cap.jpg

termo.jpg

thermo-clear.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.