Project: Lesson Learned...ish! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project: Lesson Learned...ish!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

...but that is not all! I prepped and sprayed the fender flares and the lower portion of the body with canned bed truck bed liner. The previous owner had removed the rubber cladding on the Cherokee and had left behind the adhesive so it just helped to make the thing look that much more turdly. Crap photos, it was getting dark, but that is what it looks like now with the bed coating and flares on it. I could track down some blinker housings for the front flares and I would if I were keeping this thing, but I got the title on Thursday so it is about time to wrap this thing up and list it. It is a totally different feeling wrenching on something you know you are not going to keep... it is rather trouble free and low stress!

prep.jpg

post-paint-1.jpg

post-paint-2.jpg

Unread 08-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Here we go... I replaced the sweet bolt the SPO installed into the upper control arm, you can see from the photo that not only was it not the right kind of hardware, but the darn thing was bent too! Only a matter of time until something like that breaks. I even washed and put a little wax on the beast, now it is time to list it on Craigslist and hope for the right buyer!
bolts.jpg

one-qtr.jpg

three-qtr.jpg

Unread 08-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice! so im curious what kind of cherokee are you wanting to start with? im guessing one that is not built at all? or you wanting one that is caged and fully "done"?
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
nice! so im curious what kind of cherokee are you wanting to start with? im guessing one that is not built at all? or you wanting one that is caged and fully "done"?
I would like a stock or mostly stock two or four door, color doesn't really matter either. The kicker is it has to be a 4.0L and a 5-speed. I want to stay between 1991 and 1999 because I want the HP Dana 30 up front, but I wouldn't be mad if I found a 2000 or 2001 that met my desires.
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

It has been a while, but there has been quite the revelation since that last posting. I have not sold the Cherokee yet, there has been some interest, but the right dude just hasn't come along yet. There is a gentleman from the St. Louis area who is very interested and has made a $4,000 offer, but he is about 4.5 hours away and says if it is still available he will come next weekend. We will see!

The big deal is that I sold my Ram 2500 and found this super clean '95 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.2L V8, with 157,000 miles and was able to get it for a steal... $1,600! It does need a headliner, but how many ZJs or XJs don't? It also needs suspension works, the shocks are shot and control arm bushings are pretty worn, but who gives a crap when it is the stock suspension. I guess this changes some things. One thing it changes is that his thread is no longer in the proper forum, I will have to seek out a moderator to move it to either the ZJ forum or "Jeep builds" forum.

New list of modifications:
4" Zone suspension lift, 31" all-terrains (leaning towards either the Cooper or General ATs), selectable locker and shafts for the rear, 4.10 ring and pinions, and a transfer case swap to either a 231 or 242.
gc.jpg

gc-int.jpg

Unread 09-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

The first order of business is some basic maintenance. Oil/filter, transmission fluid and filter, spark plugs and wires, wiper blades, an air filter, and some magic engine elixir for good measure. Boring stuff so I won't burn a bunch of calories on it here in the forum, but it is a great way to spend some quality time with my boy on a Saturday.
stuff.jpg

boy.jpg

Unread 09-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Quick lesson to the not auto inclined: Just because the tire says "Max Pressure 50 PSI" does not mean that you should put 50 PSI in your tires. If they are stock tires, look on the driver's door, it will tell you how much air to put in the tires. If you have bigger tires, it will give you a good starting point before you pull out your chalk and check wear patterns.

The irony wasn't lost on me as I was swearing and scraping the "support our troops" magnet the previous owner put on that had managed to bond itself to the lift gate.

...and finally, if anyone knows how to move a thread, please let me know. I tried a PM to a moderator but I have had no response yet.
pressure.jpg

door-tag.jpg

magnet.jpg

Unread 09-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #23
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

(...Hmm, still in the wrong forum, I may have to do some searching on how to move a thread)

I went to the local pall-a-part yard yesterday and scored a few things. The 242 has the newer cut input gear so the t-case swap will be a bit more involving but that is the point isn't it? I am actually looking forward to it, I have already pulled apart a Spicer 20 and a NV231.I also grabbed the linkages, selector bezel and the shift lever with the gates for good measure. Along with the transfer case I grabbed a few oddball items and interior screws. There was a nice factory tow hitch but the Grand C it was on was being supported by it and by the time I was done messing with the transfer case I didn't feel like messing around in the yard anymore (it rained all night and the yard was real muddy).

There is a gentleman who wants to come see my XJ today, and a dude who is out of town who wants his girl friend to come look at it Monday. Maybe I will get lucky and sell this darn thing!
jy-score.jpg

Unread 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Moved to the GC section now
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
Moved to the GC section now
Thanks, I knew this whole ZJ thing was a better idea than a XJ... Now I need to stop being cheap and renew my membership here on the forum!
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

The call of the dark side is strong....
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

A quick update, I still haven't sold the XJ yet... oddly enough people seem to want a Jeep like I plan to build instead of the one I am selling. I have come across about $1,000. The plan is to replace all four brake rotors and new pads all the way around, replace the Infinity Gold stereo (the head unit isn't working right), new headliner, and if it all works out I plan to redo the exhaust from the Y pipe back.

I have also decided to name the ZJ, (I have never officially named one of my vehicles until now) her name is #7. Why #7? It is the seventh Jeep I have owned ('91 XJ, '79 CJ7, '01 WJ, '93 YJ, '85 SJ, '92 XJ, '95 ZJ) and I think it sounds cool... I am so excited about this Grand Cherokee that I even made a logo (don't be surprised if it turns into a vinyl decal one day).
gfb.jpg  
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #28
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

VICTORY!!! Sold the XJ, it looks like I will have weekend activities for the next month... Starting next weekend, I have a motorcycling trip this weekend. Stay tuned, the parts and madness will be rolling in soon!
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #29
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Brown Santa stopped by today, I like brown Santa! Today's delivery? Slotted and drilled rotors for the front, brake pads (front), stainless steel 2.5" Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, to four foot sections of 2.5" exhaust pipe, and a ruined 2.5" to 2.25" step down tube (booo!). I am still waiting on some more goodies. I also deposited the cash from the sale of the XJ today, so I will be placing a few calls for some more stuffs here soon.
stuff1.jpg

Unread 10-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #30
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Well, I stand corrected from my previous post, it turns out that Blue and Orange Santa made the first visit today. Brown Santa made the second, rear rotors, brake pads, new JVC head unit, and Sony 6.5" speakers. I am a big fan of Crutchfield, free shipping and they include all the installation adapters and instructions for free too. I did install the head unit already and it is a huge improvement over my barely functioning Infinity Gold OEM one. All the speakers are working now, and the AM/FM too. I think tomorrow I will have to put in the speakers because the rear ones are shot (my son said that it sounds like a pig snorting) and the fronts are better, but not good.

As a side note I have been drooling over Agitated Pancake's 5-speed WJ build... mind blowing!
stuff2.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.