Project: Lesson Learned...ish! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project: Lesson Learned...ish!

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Project: Lesson Learned...ish!

Let the games begin! This may be real interesting, or maybe not.
BACK STORY: back 2003 I bought a 1979, CJ-7 and over the following 8 years I went a little wild. After a pair of locked Currie 9 inchers, AMC 360, 36" TSLs, fender cutting and lots of other goodies, It had gotten to the point where I was pulling the CJ 2-3 hours each way to offroad parks, of course that led into a diesel truck and then it hit me... I am sick of lugging my toy for hours just to go play with it. So I listed in on the Craig's List, sold it and bought a motorcycle and a boat.
As things go, I have decided I need a Jeep again, but this time a Cherokee. I listed the boat for sale and of course after a few weeks and no luck this gentleman hits me up for a trade offer. Problem is he didn't have the Cherokee I wanted, what did I do? What any overzealous gear head would do... Trade the boat the XJ. Now the plan is to fix a few things on the Cherokee, flip it and then use the money to buy the Cherokee I want.
THE GOAL: get a 1991-1999 XJ with a 4.0L/AX15 and of course 4 wheel drive, put a few inches on it, 31s and some other goodies and have a reliable daily driver that can at least get out of its own way on the dirt so that when I retire from the Army in about 5 years I can drive cross country to partake in an Easter Jeep Safari then drive it back home.

speedmaster.jpg  
cj-climb.jpg

boat.jpg

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

On to the current sled. It is a '92 with a 4.0L/AW4, locked D44, 4.56s, 35" Grabbers and a bunch of other goodies. Of course as with many POs there is some stuff on this thing I need to address before I am willing to pass it on.
1st order of business will be the grade doo-doo bolt holding the passenger side upper control arm to the body.
2nd is to fix adjust the control arms to get the front axle in the right spot and correct the caster to hopefully fix the severe wonder the Jeep has.
3rd is to bleed the brakes in hoping that it will return some life into the brake pedal
4th put together and connect the Ramsey winch in the front
Clean the beast, and then sell it for enough to buy the Cherokee I want with a bit left over to get it on its way to what I want it to be.
xj1.jpg

scary-bolt.jpg

spring.jpg

d44.jpg

Unread 07-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'd swap out the rear end for a 29 spline c.825 and keep the 44 to yourself!
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995_XJ View Post
This was my thought too.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995_XJ View Post
Good idea, but I am hoping that that locked, 4.56 geared Dana 44 helps me pull the $5,000-$5,500 I am looking for to start the Cherokee I plan to keep. It boils down to fixing the few issues it has now to that the thing isn't so scary to drive... I think!

So, I was looking at the knuckles earlier and it appears the there is negative caster going on right now... no wonder the steering is dead and the thing wonders all over the place! I figure I will make a trip to the local junk yard and see if I can track down some fender flairs. Maybe I will find some other fun bits while I there. Not to worry, I'll bring my camera.
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmayham View Post
Good idea, but I am hoping that that locked, 4.56 geared Dana 44 helps me pull the $5,000-$5,500 I am looking for to start the Cherokee I plan to keep. It boils down to fixing the few issues it has now to that the thing isn't so scary to drive... I think!

So, I was looking at the knuckles earlier and it appears the there is negative caster going on right now... no wonder the steering is dead and the thing wonders all over the place! I figure I will make a trip to the local junk yard and see if I can track down some fender flairs. Maybe I will find some other fun bits while I there. Not to worry, I'll bring my camera.
Eh, I wouldn't waste my time swapping. Everyone acts like a D44 is gold. It's not any better than an 8.25 29 spline. Like you said, I'd leave it in there to raise the selling price and sell it to some goon who believes in the "OMG, ITZ GOT A D44?!?!?!?!"
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

ibjeepin95... you read my mind! No news at the moment, I have three days off this weekend so I plan to get cranking then. Crazy to think that it has been over two years since I have wrenched on a Jeep!
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

I made a little progress today. I cleaned out the garage and got the Jeep inside, and then gave it a better look. It appears that I was wrong about the caster angle, with the thing on flat ground it looks good. I did figure out at least one reason the steering is so squirrely. The rod end on the drag link is worn out, you can move the steering wheel about an eighth to a quarter turn without moving the drag link, so it looks like I will be replacing that. Also looks like I found out why the brakes are so mushy, the fun will be finding out how much air is in those brake lines. You'll also notice from the pictures that the air cleaner is a little dirty and that the electric fan and overflow hose need to be reattached. Ahhhh... but all is not bad! While poking around I found a header and what appears to be a flowmaster muffler.
What is on the "to do" list now?
CLEAN THIS MOTHER F....
air filter
bleed and fill brake fluid
replace rod end(s)
reattach electric fan
rotate tires (hey stupid! when running a locker on the street, you need to rotate the tires!)
find and attach TJ fender flares
...and find some sucker willing to pay too much money for a decent Cherokee!
air-cleaner.jpg

master-c.jpg

fan.jpg

Unread 08-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

I had a productive day, with another pleasant surprise and another SPO (stupid previous owner) discovery. I went to the junkyard, they had about fifteen XJs and another ten or so ZJs, along with a few complete 4.0L engines and V8 ZJ steering linkages and front coil springs! Of course the wheels are turning now about getting one of those 4.0L, rebuilding and stroking it so I can slap it into the Cherokee I don't have and haven't found yet... but I digress.
Back on track!

I replaced the bad struts on the lift gate with a pair I found in the junkyard, I also grabbed a pair of "4x4" emblems to purdy up the Jeep.

Bled the brakes, it is amazing what happens when you get all the air out of the brake system... SPO!

Cleaned all the mud out of the air box and replaced the filter.

Fixed and reattached the coolant overflow hose.

Replaced the rod end that connects to the pitman arm, which provided one of the pleasant surprises of the day. Sometime over the past 21 years an owner swapped out the XJ steering linkages for a V8 ZJ set! I figured that out after I got home from the auto parts store and realized that the rod end for a 1992 Cherokee was considerably smaller that what was on the 1992 XJ in my garage.

I also figured out why the sway bar links are hitting the coil springs. SPO relocated the sway bar to clear his bumper mounts, so it looks like I will be doing some grinding and putting the sway bar back where it belongs. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the SPO managed to put a hole in the gas tank while drilling a hole to mount an amplifier, I'll be dropping the tank sometime over the next week or so to investigate and repair that. Yay!
rod-end.jpg

dirt.jpg

4x4.jpg

sway-bar.jpg

Unread 08-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

... and because I know how the JeepForum crowd loves pictures.

For your viewing pleasure!
jy13.jpg

jy1.jpg

jy2.jpg

jy3.jpg

jy4.jpg

jy5.jpg

jy6.jpg

Unread 08-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

continued...
jy7.jpg

jy8.jpg

jy9.jpg

jy10.jpg

jy11.jpg

jy12.jpg

Unread 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Progress Report: No progress has been made since Friday... Besides a couple trips to my box ("box"? Yes, I am a CrossFit junkie) and a new pair of shoes it has been a quiet weekend. I did try to make some chorizo sausage today but the meat came out very sticky and it wasn't feeding trough the stuffer into the casings well so now I have about 1 lbs of chorizo sausage and 4 lbs of ground chorizo. The recipe called for white wine but of course I didn't have any so I used some Cigar City Hotter Than Hellz Lager. If there are any sausage experts out there, could the beer instead of the wine be why my mixture was so sticky? Oh well I am off track. Some point over the next few days I will replace the scary bolt and put the sway bar back in its proper location.
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Had a little progress today. I headed off to Tennessee Offroad in Lebanon, TN for a set of used TJ fender flares. It is about an hour and fifteen minute drive each way, but $10 for all four flares is a pretty good deal... plus it was a good excuse to check out "Famous Dave's" in Hermitage, TN and enjoy lunch with my wife. I was able to move the sway bar so that it no longer rubs against the coil springs. I had to trim away some of the home fabbed bumper plates that one of the previous owners made to mount the bumper so that could I make way for the sway bar. Tomorrow I hope to get to trimming the TJ flares so that I can fit, paint, and install them. If I am lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) I may drop the fuel tank to further investigate my suspicion of my old pal SPO putting a hole in the tank while mounting an amplifier in the back.
flares.jpg

notch.jpg

moved-sway.jpg

Unread 08-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Progress has been slow, as normal. It seems funny to me that even after 8 years with my CJ7 I still haven't learned that everything you do on a Jeep will take at least twice as long as you think in will... lesson learned-ISH!

I was planning to use my Dermal tool to cut the fender flares I bought on Friday, but of course the Dermal Trio I have takes a different size bit than what was available at Lowe's. I know that I probably could have bought a new chuck for the thing, but I saw it as a great excuse to buy a die grinder.

Once I started trimming away at the flares I realized that the die grinder was a crap way to cut the plastic. It slings hot bits of plastic all over the place and is generally a pain in the butt. The best tools I have found for the job is my reciprocating saw and a sharp utility knife. I managed to get the front flare trimmed and test fitted, but I am still working on the rear flare. Once I get done with the fitting of the rear flare, I'll pull the flares and take some photos to show what I did to make them work.

Maybe I will get some more work done this week. I need to get on it because I should have the title in my hands within the next few days and I am itching to get this thing sold so I can move on to the Cherokee I want.
die-grinder.jpg

front-flare.jpg

rear-flare.jpg

flares-jeep.jpg

Unread 08-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Today was productive. A trip to Fastenal took care of my needs for replacing the random bolt holding the passenger side upper control arm to the Jeep, I think I will get to that tomorrow, maybe the gas tank too.
Trimming and fitting the TJ fender flares got finished up too. The best tools I found for doing the cutting were the reciprocating saw and a SHARP utility knife. I shortened the saw blade to make it easier to control and to prevent from cutting part of the flare that didn't need to be cut. It may be tough to see in the pictures, but I trimmed off the lip the runs along the bottom edge of the fender to help ensure a flat fit against the body of the XJ. Using the flares from the driver's side as templates made the modifications to the passenger side flares made things much faster. I highly suggest making a template from cardboard that fits the body lines at the lower quarter of the body to help ensure a better fit and a finished look for the TJ flares on a Cherokee.
saw.jpg

flares-1.jpg

flares-2.jpg

flares-3.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.