Project "Grow A Set" Redhatman's long lost build thread - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project "Grow A Set" Redhatman's long lost build thread

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #226
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatman View Post
But it this way... Now I understand why KOR charges $800 for his bumper... I have well over 10 hours into the bumper, and assuming standard labor rate is $75 an hour, you have to charge that much.

And guys, I think I have my stock radiator support still. I just have to go look for it up in the attic.

well over ten hours eh? probably more like 20...

Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #227
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virmagicus View Post
well over ten hours eh? probably more like 20...
Yeah I was re-reading my post and thinking wtf.... Its got at least 25+ hours into it... I am going to edit that now lol.

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #228
wfcxleatherneck
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep looks great man. I just read your whole thread, and its supriseing how far its came. Well done man. I look forward to meeting you and your jeep at C4C if you end up going. I really cant wait to see this thing in action.
wfcxleatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #229
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcxleatherneck View Post
Jeep looks great man. I just read your whole thread, and its supriseing how far its came. Well done man. I look forward to meeting you and your jeep at C4C if you end up going. I really cant wait to see this thing in action.
no you don't he will just say "oh i can't go because what if i break something my rig might not be ready for moab next year.."

jk pat love you <-- does that make me sound gay?
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #230
wfcxleatherneck
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
no you don't he will just say "oh i can't go because what if i break something my rig might not be ready for moab next year.."

Wow your kinda a jerk to everyone arnt you.... and yes that totally makes you sound gay.
wfcxleatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #231
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post

LMFAO! Yes grant, exactly. I think everyone can see it from my point of view besides you. It does not seem smart to wheel for three days, and count on being ready for another trip two and a half days later, taking into consideration the fact of working two jobs fulltime, and going to school as a fulltime student.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #232
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

How does it pick up now with 4.88s and the 37s? Im contemplating whether or not I want to run 35s or 37s. Axles are geared 4.56 and Im hoping that's deep enough to DD 37s. Would love some 36 irok radials though

Notice the Aussie at all too? Exactly whats going in my 8.8. It's been sitting in the garage for months.
UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #233
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatman View Post
LMFAO! Yes grant, exactly. I think everyone can see it from my point of view besides you. It does not seem smart to wheel for three days, and count on being ready for another trip two and a half days later, taking into consideration the fact of working two jobs fulltime, and going to school as a fulltime student.
its a joke sweetheart nah its all good man i dunno if im even gonna do mudfest this year. wanna get my rig ready for the crawl. i am extremely jealous that you get to go to moab though. maybe see if you can sneak my jeep and me on the trailer?
Unread 04-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #234
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTChavok View Post
How does it pick up now with 4.88s and the 37s? Im contemplating whether or not I want to run 35s or 37s. Axles are geared 4.56 and Im hoping that's deep enough to DD 37s. Would love some 36 irok radials though

Notice the Aussie at all too? Exactly whats going in my 8.8. It's been sitting in the garage for months.
I am not sure yet being I have not fully broken in the gears (cant beat on it). Howeber I did drive home the black IRO Jeep the other night, 4.88's and 37's, 5.2. Big difference compared to mine. Very noticable. and yes, I can notice the aussie, if you hit the gas around a turn you squeel the tires, and all other times you hear click.click.click.click.click

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #235
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Time To regear the rear!

Cover off, limited slip exposed.

Axle shafts out

Carrier and pinion out, cleaning the internals. It is very very very important to get this as clean as possible. So to soak up all of the oil, I filled it with oil-dry and drove around.

....just kidding.

Notice the two jeeps on the hoist.... darrick's WJ right next to mine on the other hoist. Both Jeeps are undergoing lots of surgery before GSW.

For those of you familiar with the lunchbox style lockers, you know that the Aussie does not work in a limited slip style carrier, so what I had to do was find a 8.8 open carrier. Good thing my buddy luke at IRO Had one lying around, washed it up and was ready to regear.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #236
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I should have kept the sheet with all of the measurements from setting up the gears, but I wrote it by hand and it got oil all over it. I started tearing apart my Jeep's rear end around 2:30pm, and was at the point of ready to assemble by about 3:15. This was my first time regearing, so I did take it slow, but wanted to get it perfect. I had Jason give me some tips here and there, but man was it a lengthy process! I laid probably ten or fifteen patterns until I found one I was happy with. 5 o'clock came around and it was time for a dinner break, 6:30 and back to work. I finally got it done around 11. perfection perfection perfection.

Although a lot of other patterns would have worked, my final one consisted of adding more pinion depth to get more contact on the ring gear.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #237
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

And thats when the night ended.... I started reading the aussie locker instructions, and it says to install the factory thrust washers. Since I bought just the open carrier and nothing else, I did not have these. I called the local dealers and nobody had any in stock, closest ones were over an hour away. Since it was 11 pm at this time, there was no way to get them. So I cleaned up, and called it a night. I did not have a car to drive home, so I drove home IRO's black ZJ.... 5.2 just like mine, and 4.88's with a detroit It was tempting me hahaha. Wow, what a difference.

Dont mind the blue basketball hoop.... It used to look like a regular white/red one until my little sister and her friend thought basketball would be more fun with a poorly painted blue backboard...

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #238
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Convienent enough, the next day I had school, and my school is only a few miles from the upull yard. So I made a trip over to there to grab some thrust washers. The guy at ford told me there was only one thickness of thrust washers, they are the ones that go on the axle shaft for the side gears. So I found an explorer with an 8.8 (and disc brakes just calm down... I know what you're thinking) I pulled the carrier and washers, and got a bit more carried away.

I ended up bringing home all of this too

$45 for all of it.

Spare left and right shaft, 2 calipers, 2 caliper brackets, crosspin, and crosspin holder screw thingy ma bobber.

I am planning on converting it over soon, before moab? not sure. But either way now I have the parts, I just need pads and rotors. I might just buy loaded calipers (new calipers with pads installed) and also new rotors. Regardless if I am going to use the calipers, I figured it would be a good idea seeing as parts stores charge like a $100 core for calipers.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #239
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I brought back IRO ZJ, and drove my other car to work. The next night, friday night I continued to install the aussie after work. It was not smart of my to make movie plans for later because I was in a super rush to finish it all and get my jeep off the hoist. With no time to spare, and the help of Jay at IRO staying late with me, we got her done.

I still had to break in the gears, and could not drive fast to make it to the movie. So I left my Jeep there, and took my car home. I picked up the Jeep last saturday, and have been driving it pretty much everywhere to break in the gears and locker. The gears require a 500 mile breakin period, for the first 20 miles you drive it, and then let it sit and cool completely. Although the gear pattern may have looked nice, the gears still are not worn with each other. The Aussie locker calls for 600 miles of "break-in".

I know it is working because I constantly hear the clicking around turns, and if I give it gas around a turn, the tires chirp.

BTW, my 8.8 had a spun carrier bearing and I did not even know it. No noises or anything.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #240
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I just got home, and here is how she sits.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.