Project "Dirty Princess" ... Redhatman's 5.9 ZJ Build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project "Dirty Princess" ... Redhatman's 5.9 ZJ Build

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #151
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I wanted to put D-Ring Tabs on the bumper, because I cant necessarily access my KOR Radiator support that well anymore. I will be selling that too if anyone is interested.

These D-Ring Tabs are just a prototype right now, we do not have all the parts made. Its a half inch thick tab, and then you weld in a little tube that holds the D-ring to a tighter fit. We did not have the tube, so I had to machine it.

all tacked up.

And now for the spacer, I started with a piece of 1.25" steel, that already had a pilot hole of 3/8". I then drilled out on the lathe to accomodate the D-Ring.

All made, faced off, and welded on.

After that, I prepped the part, and sanded the crap outta it with the DA sander.

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #152
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Since I could not fit the bumper in my Jeep, luckily it was nice out so I could drive my jeep home with the bumper on and not have it get hit with rain and rust out.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #153
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Time To regear the rear!

Cover off, limited slip exposed.

Axle shafts out

Carrier and pinion out, cleaning the internals. It is very very very important to get this as clean as possible. So to soak up all of the oil, I filled it with oil-dry and drove around.

....just kidding.

For those of you familiar with the lunchbox style lockers, you know that the Aussie does not work in a limited slip style carrier, so what I had to do was find a 8.8 open carrier. Good thing my buddy luke at IRO Had one lying around, washed it up and was ready to regear.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #154
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Although a lot of other patterns would have worked, my final one consisted of adding more pinion depth to get more contact on the ring gear.

So I made a trip over to there to grab some thrust washers since I needed them to complete the Aussie install. The guy at ford told me there was only one thickness of thrust washers, they are the ones that go on the axle shaft for the side gears. So I found an explorer with an 8.8 (and disc brakes just calm down... I know what you're thinking) I pulled the carrier and washers, and got a bit more carried away.

I ended up bringing home all of this too

$45 for all of it.

Spare left and right shaft, 2 calipers, 2 caliper brackets, crosspin, and crosspin holder screw thingy ma bobber.

I am planning on converting it over soon, before moab? not sure. But either way now I have the parts, I just need pads and rotors. I might just buy loaded calipers (new calipers with pads installed) and also new rotors. Regardless if I am going to use the calipers, I figured it would be a good idea seeing as parts stores charge like a $100 core for calipers.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #155
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

You can see I got the pinion and seal in, for now. I used this style, ubolt yoke for my HP30.

I did that for a few reasons. The factory yoke I have broken ears off, I dont know how or why that happens. Also, the straps stretch, bend, and just wear out which does not apply maximum clamping force. This can cause bad play in the driveshaft which can cause all sorts of vibes and problems. My current LP30 has a factory yoke on it which I just replaced because it broke the ears off. I dont know how or why though.

With the ubolt style, you are tightening them until the caps are actually tight, unlike the stock where you are just tightening the straps. We sell these are Iron Rock, although they are not listed individually on the website that I know of that they are for sale, they can be bought individually.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #156
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

So, to start on the axle.

Tonights project was just to take off the useless Passenger side UCA mount. With the IRO LA's, it only utilizes one of the 2 upper CA mounts. And since I know I will be running these LA's, why not cut it off instead of just having it dangle there?

With the help of the 7" Angle Grinder, I was able to take off the mount with ease I just cut it right above the welds, that way I could grind it smooth and make it look perty hahah. So, off it comes!

5-10 minutes of grinding later, and here we have the clean tube!

Since I was going to be doing all of this work, I might aswell do it right. With new gears, bearings, fresh paint, why not replace the balljoints and get it sandblasted? The local guy here has sandblasted a few parts for my friends for $20-40 so instead of doing a decent job and spending hours trying to clean this up I decided I will just take it apart and let him do it.

I started by pulling off the knuckles, and throwing the abs wire tabs away. I am not running ABS anymore due to my 8.8 swap, plus I am not a huge fan of abs in my Jeep.

Knuckles pulled.... I am going to clean those up by hand tomorrow with a wire wheel and bench wire wheel, and bring the axle to him later once I finish working on the LCA mounts.

I am going to replace all upper and lower balljoints too. This axle was out of a 91 cherokee, which I did not know the condition of. I do plan on welding on some sort of "C" Truss to protect my C's aswell, so I do not want to apply a huge amount of heat where a brand new balljoint was just installed.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #157
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Okay guys, I am at Iron rock now. I got the parts back from the sandblaster, and they look awesome! For those of you who have never had something like this sandblasted, its crazy. It almost looks like its primered when its done. It opens up all the pores in the metal so its the perfect time to powder coat or paint right away.

I will take pictures of the axle in a bit, but for now just the brackets. I started by spraying the brackets with brake cleaner, blowing off with compressed air and primering them.

Freshly blasted, no paint.

Now hanging ready to be painted. I have the primer coats done now, but am waiting to dry before I apply the color. I think I will just do black, because my Jeep does not really have a color theme. Otherwise maybe red or green?

I just started on the black coats of paint for the knuckles and Disc brake brackets. Primer is now laid on the axle aswell.

Here is a picture of the inside of the housing, I pulled the pinion once I got it back too and have been cleaning it for some time now to make sure all of the sand is out.

Clean axle, no paint.

First layer of primer.

First coat of black, light.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #158
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Well guys, I got more work done on the Axle and Jeep today.
I went to Autozone and rented their BJ Press and 4wd adapter set. I had never done BJ's on a Dana 30 before so I kinda had to learn it, which ones to press out first, and vise versa. For future reference, pop out the tops first, then the bottoms. But back in reverse order.

You can see I went with the Autozone joints,

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #159
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I am not sure if this is the proper usage of the tool, but nothing broke and everything went well, here are some action shots.

The weird thing I found is, the new Lower BJ's come with snap rings, yet the factory ones did not have any on them, and there is not room for them to go on once fully pressed in. And second, they have the screw thing included too, yet mine did not have that either? Must be for fitment on other vehicles too.

All in!

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #160
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

To install them, I would first make sure you have a left and a right bracket. The brackets install at an angle, so you can notice the difference in the cut on the top of the bracket.

You should also take some measurements on the stock brackets. Remember, the inside of the IRO vs. stock brackets will be the same, but they are thicker. So do not do any measurements on the outside of the brackets. I found a digital caliper to be rather helpful.

One last important tool is a 22 oz. refreshment from Super America. It is important to either have it filled with Iron Dew (Publically known as "Mountain Dew"). They carry Iron Dew at S.A. and for $0.89 cents its a steal!!!! This saves you nearly a dollar vs a bottled beverage, this is just one way to start saving your hard earned dollars! (Or pennies).

**Please note** Mellow Yellow IS NOT A VALID SUBSTITUTE!

Sorry, no free refills

** Another note** VAULT IS NOT A VALID SUBSTITUTE EITHER!!!!!

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #161
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Now take your handy dandy plasma cutter, and cut off the factory scrap metal.

And, the other side.... weight reduction! (for now)

Now for the most noisy part, and time consuming. You will have to grind down all of the left over scrap metal. Unless of course you were not too good with the plasma cutter, and you accidentally cut your axle in half. good luck with that one.

Time to grind down the leftovers. I try and leave just a tad left to still be able to see where the welds were, this will help a lot when setting up the new brackets.

And, mocked up in place.

Thats all I got for now, I am also going to hopfully weld my tubes before I weld these brackets on.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #162
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Clean the welding area first, free of primer.

Time to heat the tubes!

It is important to heat up the pumpkin before welding, and slowly cool it down aswell to prevent cracking and warpage.

Both brackets on!

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #163
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

First pattern on the HP30, pretty good.

BTW, Dont hesitate to PM me either if you have a question regarding IRO stuff either.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #164
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I found these t-case spacers when I was cleaning a bit, they are IRO Aluminum Tcase drop spacers. 1" drop. Anyone interested? PM me if you want them, I'll sell them for $25 shipped. Regular price is $39.99

The HP30 is geared!!! Finally.... Now I am basically to the point where I just have to torque the balljoints and paint the axle. The rest of the assembly will be done when I have my jeep ready for it. The HP30 and LP30 use a different mounting style, so a note for you guys getting the Iron Rock front long arms, you will NEED AN XJ IRON Y IF YOU HAVE A HP30 FRONT END.

I am going to take my Iron Y, and cut off the UCA mount, and reweld it in the correct spot for an HP30.

While I was regearing it tonight, I also replaced the Inner axle seals. They are only about $9.99/piece if you are interested. We do carry them in stock on the shelf. and its something that requires A LOT of dissembly to do. So, why not?

Old...

Out....

Old vs. new.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #165
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I am sure those of you who have been around XJ's and ZJ's know how Dana 30's LOVE to bend C's.... This throws your camber off and wears your brand new 37's uneven. You guys may have seen C Trusses for Dana 30's.... JK Dana 30's though. They are different, there is a lot more room to truss a JK D30 in between the C and the Coil bucket, it can be quite challenging on a traditional one.

So we first have the Inner Axle tube truss. If you can make the long passenger side tube stronger, why not?

Here is the machined, 1/4" wall tubing to go inside of it. This is D.O.M. Tubing machined on a lathe to precisely fit inside the tube. You can weld it, or just shove it in. (It will take some force).

Stock.

Piece.

In the hole! (partly)

Now for the C Truss.... Notice its always the upper C that bends. The lower part of the C is pretty darn beefy. It is significantly thicker, and shorter to provide a lot more strength.

So, why not tie into that? Going back to work, update later.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.