Picking up a 01 WJ tomorrow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Picking up a 01 WJ tomorrow

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
niles6284
2001 WJ 

Picking up a 01 WJ tomorrow

Hey all I am picking up an 01 WJ tomorrow, will post pics when I get. It has a blown motor so it's a project

IAFF Local 379
niles6284 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
niles6284
2001 WJ 

Ok so I was delayed by weather and work, but I finally got it picked up

story, friend from my 240 fire class bought this when it had 40K on it, has always taken it to the shop to get work done and always maintained. one day it started making a loud knock while leaving from class; he almost made it home and it blew, never lost oil pressure just did the usual death a 4.0 does and shut it down right as he pulled in his drive
he thought about working on it for a long time but finally decided he didnt want to deal with it at all, he went and bought a 2012 civic to replace it. it is in immaculate shape zero rust above and below. interior always kept up. will be tearing the motor apart to see what the damage is and get a list together. got underneath it a few minutes ago and noticed a "tip of your thumb" dent protruding from the oil pan, so im guessing thats a connecting rod. let me know what you guys think its not getting a lift just going to be a daily driver.

it has 156k on it, 242 SelecTrac, it has the 4.0 in it

my guess would be that the 4 or 5 piston shattered and killed it.
jeep-011.jpeg   image.jpeg   jeep-01.jpeg   photo.jpg  
IAFF Local 379
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
niles6284
2001 WJ 

Got out and looked it over, charged the battery, and it did nothing so I then got a 19mm socket on a breaker bar to try to turn it with the crank nothing not even a budge. So I am coming to the conclusion that the motor is locked up, possibly from the piston being shattered. So at some point soon I will pull the head off and inspect the pistons and see what one is causing the problem if it is that.
IAFF Local 379
Unread 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
niles6284
2001 WJ 

update!

after finally completing my paramedic program I finally have time to work on it.

over the past couple of days I have worked on pulling off all the plastic from the front along with the headlights and also the grill.

now to pull everything off the top of the motor and see what's going on in there.
IAFF Local 379
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Jeep32
2002 WJ 

Nice to see one getting saved! Keep us updated i enjoy these "jeep revival" threads
Unread 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
niles6284
2001 WJ 

Thanks! it is a fun project so far, not as bad taking apart as I thought it would be, been bagging and marking every bolt with what it came from. cant wait to get the motor pulled out and see what is the problem I was able to get the motor to turn with a breaker bar very easily but when it reaches a certain point it stops so I am assuming that the connecting rod is broken in half and connecting with the oil pan. have a feeling it is #5. we will soon see and I will post pictures of the carnage.
IAFF Local 379
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
niles6284
2001 WJ 

well as I figured in the back of my head, I pulled the intake off and found a 3 inch round hole in the side of the block so guess its going to be a search for a new motor. almost ready to pull the old one out few more wires to go and bolts.

good thing I have some construction work coming up.
IAFF Local 379
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
niles6284
2001 WJ 

got the motor totally pulled out the other day, wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought it was going to be. read some threads on Promar engines and liked what I had read and the fact that they have an A+ rating on BBB so I ordered their reman for $1999.00 they added 300 to the total due to the hole in the block which gives me my 3 Year unlimited mile warranty. should be here next week extremely excited!

Also ordered new parts off of Rock Auto like water pump, Belt, Tensioner, and a few other things along with some new Limited style head lights. now the waiting game to get the motor in I am ready to get this thing on the road.

any suggestions on other parts I should replace on it while the motor is out?
IAFF Local 379

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.