Patience...a build thread? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Patience...a build thread?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #46
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Tank tuck next?

To weld the skid up or not... To leave the bracket and use those nuts, or drill new holes and find a nut sert...

Unread 11-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #47
Ravie
1999 WJ 

My tank developed a leak around the fuel unit seal and the fuel line connectors were rusted to pieces, so I pulled the tank and started the tank tuck today. Only got to here before I had to stop. Taking about 4- 4 1/2" out.

Unread 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #48
Ravie
1999 WJ 

A few more pictures for $h!ts and giggles.

>

The welder I'm using is really not that great. The Voltage settings are Voltage and More Voltage. It works, though. After I tack the inside a bit more I'll do a couple outside and then I'm going to paint and seam seal the whole thing.

I'll get the gas tank bracket cut and welded next. Sometime this week.
Unread 12-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #49
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Reading a lot lately I'm finding that it is probably more important to have long arms than it is to have a big high lift. Just knocking that thought around in my head a bit. A custom long-arm setup would be killer...
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #50
bugaboots
2002 WJ 

Thinking of doing a custom long arm system for your current suspension, or going to go taller?
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #51
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaboots View Post
Thinking of doing a custom long arm system for your current suspension, or going to go taller?
For the current suspension. I'm going to be swapping in a Dana 44 in a few months anyway. it'd be killer if I could do long arms at the same time.
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #52
bugaboots
2002 WJ 

I thought you ditched doing your axle swap? Did you find a set of axles with the v-loc and 3.73 that you wanted?
Unread 12-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #53
Ravie
1999 WJ 

No. For me it's about money. Even when I think I have some something generally always shows up that is more important than spending money on my Jeep that steals progress out of my hands... We don't make much money and we have kids so it's really hard to make much progress. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that is borrowing me his compressor and welder for a while so I can get some projects done.

There's an LKQ yard here in town that frequently has 3.73/QD axles for not a whole helluva lot, so eventually I'll end up going there to grab some used ones from them.
Unread 12-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #54
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Got the welding finished and sealed up the seams. I stupidly did a bunch of painting on the underside without a respirator or anything...breathed it in, got pain up my nose on my nose hairs, all over my face and glasses... Grr. Anyway the bottom side is done getting paint (rustoleum). I was waiting for the top sealer to dry before I painted it. It is probably dry as I type this so I'll go do that and then be done for the night. Good thing I have a good oil-filled radiator plugged in out there...it's all of 12 degrees outside! Thankfully the garage is insulated to keep the heat in and the wind out. Pics later.
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #55
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I've got the bottom painted and the top has two coats on it. I'll add another couple of coats to the top tomorrow. Just using rustoleum. I used GE 3500 black sealer on the joints and sealed both sides. I used a 1" brush to spread it out and get it in all of the joints.
Unread 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #56
Forcfed93
1997 ZJ 

Subbed for updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
painting on the underside without a respirator or anything...breathed it in, got pain up my nose on my nose hairs, all over my face and glasses...
How'd the beard fare?
Forcfed93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #57
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Jason? Just thinking about who knows me that has a ZJ.....lol

I did actually get a hot piece of welding slag in my beard at one point. I'm sure I looked hilarious smacking myself in the face. lol

I'll do an update post soon...maybe tonight...
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #58
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Well, this process has been a massive pain. I thought "Well, I'm gonna have the tank down, I might as well do the tank-tuck I've been talking about. So I got the welder, bought a big new jack when my AC Delco piece of crap died on me, and turned the heaters on in the garage the day before.

Got the tank down and went to work on the above pictures. Cutting, grinding, notching, etc... Got the spare tire well back in place; I left some room for storage but even the donut will no longer fit in there even though it might look like it does. I took out a good healthy 4 inches. After tacking it up solid I used GE 3500 seam sealer on both sides and then painted with rustoleum. Gray inside and black outside. No rhyme or reason other than I wanted the inside to be stock color for whatever reason.

I used a Black and Decker jig saw and an air grinder to do the cutting for the whole project, except for a sawzall at the very end for the frame. It would have been okay except the compressor I'm borrowing only goes for about 15 seconds before it has to take a 4 minute refill session.

After cutting the bracket pieces off the tank I put the rest up in place and marked where I would put it all... I mounted the skid up in place using my jack and welded it in. I did several plug welds in each side, as you can see.

The box I made for the filler pipe was very much a compromise. I should have cut it before the spare well was back in, but...hindsight being what it is.......

It works. I mean it's not the most amazing but it's ok. Big issue I'm having now is the ****ed up jury rigged **** you see going on the the filler pipe. I thought it'd reach better if I cut a hunk off...WRONG. I'm thinking some new pipe with metal pipe connections between them is going to be the ticket. That way I can do the two 45 degree angles up to the filler neck. As it is right now I can't even put gas in it without it peeing out of that connection. I know it's idiotic but it's all I had and I'm completely 100% broke right now.

I gained a decent piece of clearance. I didn't go "all the way" like some guys do, but I also wanted the spare well storage for my tow rope, water bottles, etc..

The "box of rocks" sound I heard when I finally git it going last night...at first I was all worried my engine was funked up. Turns out the heat shield that goes over my muffler is shaking around ontop of it and needs to be bolted back up.

Next mod (almost) done!

Looking forward to the day this thing gets new meat. I need my axles and 31's.
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #59
Forcfed93
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
Jason? Just thinking about who knows me that has a ZJ.....lol
Bingo. Now I know who to call when I get a 2" budget boost for mine.

Good job on the build thread. Now I can keep up on here instead of taking all your time at work.
Forcfed93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #60
Ravie
1999 WJ 

haha, yeah... You seem to usually be busy too so I hate to bother you. Plus I've been on BR duty for months now. I'm trying to get a new job, too. Something more...mechanical...

Only piece of advice I can offer is: Coil Springs and Bilsteins. Those are two very important items!

I'm always up for wrenching, too.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.