Parallel Build thread (2 x WJ's) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Parallel Build thread (2 x WJ's)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Parallel Build thread (2 x WJ's)

Hi,

Am big fan of German cars, especially BMW's, but My story started with the Jeep in September,2012. I was planning to buy an off road capable car and I was really inclined to the FJ cruiser (Toyota) till I found a WJ build thread for a member here his name is Akrobatics. Since that time my mind was totally twisted towards the WJ, then I started looking for a WJ instead of the FJ.

Just a brief, am Palestinian who lives in Oman and works between Oman and Dubai. Having mentioned that, Dubai was a bigger car market where I have better chances finding what I was looking for, so I kept looking for a WJ for almost one month in Dubai then import it to Oman, then I found in Dubai a golden 01 4.7 Limited was really abused and neglected, but at that point I was desperately looking for a WJ, so I decided to take it and do the WJ rehab.

(WJ's are really rare here)

After I bought it, I changed lots of things, such as the TPS, IAC, fuel filter, spark plugs, all speakers, tires, all the hub bearings, serpentine belt, idle pullley tensioner, all the fluids, gaskets, all shocks, all bushings, and many other stuff just to make it drivable.

Then after spending tons of hours on this forum reading and seeing pics, I decided to lift it 3", so I contacted Kolak (BIG THANKS TO Nick) who was really helpful. I bought his usual set up, 3" OME coils, with 5100 Bilestien shocks, and many other stuff and accessories. I bought these stuff in December, 2012. but I got them delivered today 9/12/2013 due logistics problem will explain it later.

During all that period I was reading how good the H.O engine is and really I felt so jealous of those who has the H.O engines. So I kept an eye on the market for a clean H.O till September, 2013. I found relatively clean sliver 03 H.O with low mileage, so I decided to get her to join the family.

The same day I bought it, I contacted Kolak (Thanks again to him) and I got my 4" IRO lift kit and the other accessories from him, all the new set up is expected to to be delivered by January,2014.

Any how, as long as I got one of the lift kits here (the OME 3"), so I wanna make a build thread to keep a track of the process, and once the second lift kit will arrive I will include it in this thread.

Both WJ's came with rezzepa-rezzepa drive shafts, so the drive shaft conversion will be the first thing to be done, I bought the IRO conversion kit from Kolak.

Many things had been done already, but much much more to come

Here is a photo of the Family, 2 WJ's and one E60

20131024_074452.jpg  

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

If your Jeep is down for repairs you still have a just as good back up What are the future plans for these beasts after the lifts and drive shafts?
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
If your Jeep is down for repairs you still have a just as good back up What are the future plans for these beasts after the lifts and drive shafts?
Indeed. Actually when my Jeep is down either I have to fix it myself or it will never be fixed as most of the mechanics here won't accept to fix it as they have never fixed WJ before. The WJ here is really rare to find. Mine will be the first to be lifted.

For the Golden 01 4.7 I bought for it 4" IRO (with front adj. arms), addco sway bars front and rear, 265/70r17 tires with black rock wheel 909B. 3780 flashpaq superchip. JKS disco's. MOOG steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. I got the complete Kolak exhaust. Stillen rotors rear and front. and I got the 4.56 gears for the front and rear, planning to put them once am more confident on how to regear differentials and having 35 tires.

The eaton M90 or whipple supercharger is on my list but not soon as am still reading and piling cash, am leaning more towards the whipple (twin screws). Am trying to figure out how to tune it as it will be my biggest concern after overhauling the engine with HD internals.

My main problem and advantage at the same time that I have to do everything myself, so sometimes minor repairs take me a month due lack of time but at the same time I will be sure that it has been done correctly. Already I got all the proper tools but all spare parts I Have to order them from the US, then I have to pay for the shipping which takes very long time (although it is by air), then I have to pay for the customs duty then tax. So what am doing is absolutely non sense but at least makes feel happy

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Yesterday and today spent all my time installing the 3" OME lift on the Silver 03 H.O.

Installation was not smooth but was manageable. Was not smooth due the fact that I received all my lift kit parts with no instructions (the shipping company lost them in some way), so I had to figure out many things by myself (I mean by using this forum) I did half of the job in my parking lot.

First I started with the front end, after removing the suspensions, coil springs and the front sway bar links, I found out that my Bilstein front shocks came without the lower bolts and nuts. So I decided to go to the rear end.

Rear end was smoother than the front as I could re-use all old bolts and nuts if the new are not available. I had a hard time stuffing the new coil springs in, but eventually I made it. In the rear I put new 3" OME HD coils springs, fresh upper and lower isolators, bilstien shocks, IRO extended links, Addco sway bar with greasable bushings.

Then I crawled under the car because I remembered that I have CEL showing that my two downstream O2 are faulty, so I replaced them with new ones and reset it.

Then I was really frustrated due the fact that I can't do any thing in the front end. So I installed my new K&N CAI.

Today morning, the first thing I did was going to find new studs and bolts for my front shocks. and I found what I was looking for, I found the specs with thanks to billzcat recommendations in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...hocks-1363587/

On the way back I spoke to one of my friends who has a body repair shop and asked him if the jack he has is free so I can continue what I have started at his shop, so he said today is quite so I can get the jack with two technicians for just a small tip for the two technicians.

So I got my car to his shop using his flatbed. Then we installed the front 3'' OME HD coils, coil isolators, Moog steering Stablizer, JKS QD's and adjustable track bar.

Here the confusion started. As I lost all the instruction manuals for all my items, so I had to refer to JF, which was really helpful how to install the QD's, but at the same time confusing about the measurements, as we had no angle finder, so I guessed If I set it at 9.8" will be good as am not sure which model QD's I have the 3100 or 3104. So I set it at that length and installed, then the other confusion was about the adjustable track bar measurements, so I set it almost 1.2" more than the stock one measurements.

Then I had sent the car for alignment, they had done the alignment but still I can feel the car is not driving properly, besides lots of clunks which I think due lack of grease.

So tomorrow I hope I will have time to install the new rims and tires. I got the Yokohama Geolander A/T 265/65R17.

Here below some photos of the progress:
cimg0275.jpg   cimg0276.jpg   cimg0277.jpg   cimg0280.jpg   cimg0281.jpg  

cimg0282.jpg   cimg0284.jpg   cimg0286.jpg   cimg0288.jpg   20131214_135750.jpg  

Unread 12-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Here is another photo of the front end during the installtion
20131214_135758.jpg  

Unread 12-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
veiri86

2003 WJ 

More progress today, I readjusted the JKS QD on the front sway bar, I put them at 9 3/4", in the beginning I sat them at 10" which I figured out later that it was out of the maximum allowed length as I have the JKS 3100 not 3104. Then I installed my Moog problem solver tie rod ends, the four of them. Then I readjusted the JKS adjustable track bar, first I set it around one inch longer than the stock track bar ( The stock track bar measured 82 centimeters) then I found out that I was away from the correct measurements, so I readjusted the new trackbar to be 83 centimeters which centered my axle perfectly. Then I put the front 3/4" coil spring spacers I bought from Dharkstorm.
Then I took off my rezzepa - rezzepa front driveshaft to replace it with my IRO. frontdriveshaft conversion. But I had not much time to continue and the socket 29 to unbolt the differential yoke was missing, so I decided to do the wheel alignment and drive the Jeep for few days without front drive shaft.

Now the car drives good but lots of clunks and squeak noises, which I think from the QD's and the rear Addco swaybar, I greased them a lot but I think I will regrease them again, I hope it will be quiter.

Some photos will be posted soon

Unread 12-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
DavisI
2002 WJ 

Looks good. I like seeing people from around the world posting on here.
DavisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisI View Post
Looks good. I like seeing people from around the world posting on here.
Thanks Davisl. actually in the part of the world where I am now, the WJ is extremely unique amd I guess mine is the first lifted WJ around here

Unread 12-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Today I put the IRO Front driveshaft conversion. It was smooth. No noises or vibes so far.

Here is a photo taken today

img_20131223_085548.jpg

Unread 12-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Today I installed the new addco front sway bar. It was smooth except the holes were a bit smaller than the JKS QD's bolts, so I had to drill it a bit.

But now am facing a problem which is driving me crazy, I have a random beep chime, it beeps once every few minutes/second. The EVIC shows nothing, all my fluids are full, seat belt is on, hand brake is down, back latch and all doors are properly closed, turn signals are off, it beeps even when it is on idle on traffic light, I kept watching the EVIC, no messages, and am still far away from the next service interval. No check engine light (all the bulbs in the cluster are there and work properly), I tried the key trick, it shows no codes, I tried the superchip to get any codes, but no codes, it is driving me crazy, as it is very random on beep every now and then, it beeps on any speed, any temperature, any where, any distance. it beeps once every now and then and I can't relate it to any thing. Any input is highly appreciated

Unread 12-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
DavisI
2002 WJ 

I can't help you with the beep. Sorry
What kind of wheels are those? I'd love to see some closer pictures.
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:
I can't help you with the beep. Sorry
What kind of wheels are those? I'd love to see some closer pictures.
This beeping thing driving me crazy, found lots of threads about the same issue but no solution yet.

The rims am using they are Rays, I know they are racing rims, but I like them, they are 17x8

Here is a close up photo:
img_20131225_081621.jpg  

Unread 12-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
DavisI
2002 WJ 

I like them
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:
I like them

I got them from Thailand, they have a different log pattern but am using adaptor, which sometimes makes me worried when I go for offroad. So on my list is to paint my stock overland rims graphite color and fit them back instead of these.

Unread 12-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Today I replaced the driver side upstream O2 sensor, one week ago I changed the other three because I was having check Engine light for the two downstream and one upstream on the passenger side. Now no check engine and I will start monitoring my MPG as it was terrible.

Another update, My airbag light doesn't illuminate at all, I checked the bulb, replaced it, and swapped it but no light. The cluster works flawlessly and all the lights are good except that one, so I pulled out the two airbag fuses, no. 32 and 33 in the yellow socket checked them and both measured continuous, so i kept them out and no beep anymore but my seat built light is on all the time even when my seat belt is fastened. So most probably my problem is with my airbag module, because the functions on my steering wheel work with no problem except when I turn on the headlights the steering wheel buttons won't illuminate. For the time being I will drive it with my seat belt fastened and the airbag fuses pulled out till I get the airbag issue sorted out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.