paint chipping on new 2013 srt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > paint chipping on new 2013 srt

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
alxparks
2013 FSJ Cherokee 

paint chipping on new 2013 srt

I bought a new Jeep 2013 SRT 8 from Rockland Jeep NY a few months ago and have 5K miles on it. It drives great and the performance is mind blowing. However I am experience severe paint chipping on the lower half the vehicle behind the front and rear wheels. I have attached photos of the problem. My concern is that if the car looks like this after 5K miles after 20K miles only bear metal will remain on the area getting sand blasted.

Given the severe nature of this problem, I took my car to the dealer to look at it. The dealer took pictures and had a local body-shop estimate the damage and sent a claim into Jeep. Jeep however declined to remedy the problem. You would think that Jeep would act more responsibly for a $70K vehicle.

045.jpg   046.jpg  
alxparks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You have paint chips on your clear plastic paint guard? (top pic, left side, thin line curving to the left)

Have you been driving it fast or doing burnouts? Our Ram hemi looks like this in the back mostly from burnouts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is no warranty for living in a salt and dirt infested area of the country. I live on a gravel road and sand blast my minivan rockers, the XJ sits up plenty high.

Clean it, scotchbrite it, then get some spray on rocker guard for it.
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

It should still last for more than 5000 damn miles. Keep going back and being a pain in the *** til they fix it.
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Were MUDFLAPS an option when you bought it?
Were they even suggested to you at the time of purchase?

If NOT, you MIGHT have a SLIM (to none) chance of getting then to repaint it if you argue that they were NEGLIGENT in either not fitting it with, or offering to sell you, something along the lines of a mudflap.
But I doubt it...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Check your warranty and press the issue til Jeep caves on it, if they don't trade it in elsewhere and let them know they're not getting your business again. CSI scores are a huge deal and even a single negative customer service survey can seriously mess up a dealerships scores and they catch a lot of **** from it from the brands. Since you bought it there you should be able to do surveys on both sales and service and they know it.

Pretty much every new car has corrosion coverage in the warranty, even the Kias we sell do. Unless you're constantly beating on it then there's no reason for that much damage after 5k miles and a couple months. That's a defect in material or the paint job itself. Take it to another Jeep dealer if you have to and press them to deal directly with the local factory rep. You'll get a lot further with a brand rep than you will with everything going through the dealer. If you seem like you're going to let up they're going to dismiss it til you do and there's a decent chance they never submitted it to Jeep in the first place because their warranty pay on repainting the areas probably isn't worth it to them.

My two cents after working in a dealership service department for the last few years fwiw. Also you don't have a FSJ Cherokee, you have a WK2 Grand Cherokee. Correct section would be here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

looks like you've been driving on roads that haven't been cleared of winter gravel yet. you can't avoid it in the north east.
that'll buff out, have to do it on my vehicles i give a damn about every year.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.