Outbackmatt's WJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Outbackmatt's WJ

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
outbackmatt

Building a new 3500 sqft shop. Rock crawling at the contruction site.

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
outbackmatt

We had an awesome ride at Prentice Cooper. The jeep performs like a bad ***. It rained hard and everything was a swamp but there was no getting it stuck with the front and rear lockers.

Unread 03-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
outbackmatt

Lots a rain today! Gonna make for a fun day tomorrow.
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
outbackmatt

Since it's finally starting to warm up here I decided it would be a good time to spruce up the undercarriage of my wj. I used a rusty metal brown primer and then semi gloss black enamel for the top coat. The primer went on easy but the top coat was tedious. There are a few areas I still need to touch up where the brown primer is showing through.

Before

After

Unread 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
outbackmatt

Next project will be painting the cladding!
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
outbackmatt

Tonight I took the front door panels off to try an fix the annoying clips that keep popping out. Washed about 10lbs of sand out of the inside of the driver door. Had no luck finding the right clips locally so I will be going ghetto and driving around with no door panels for a few days. Did some searching on the internet and will be ordering em from the ebay.

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
outbackmatt

Also painted my d rings.
Unread 04-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
outbackmatt

I made a swing out tire carrier for my wj that retains the stock bumper cover. I designed it to bolt onto the jeep using the factory mounting holes for the trailer hitch. I contoured the inner tire carrier frame work underneath the bumper cover so there was NO cutting or welding of the rear body. I didnt want to hack up the rear of my jeep. The inner tire carrier frame work simply sits in place of the foam behind the bumper.

I made the hinge from scratch on my brake press and designed it in a way so it stops the tire carrier from swinging to far open and hitting another car in a parking space or coming around and smacking the side of the jeep. I didnt have my camera yesterday when starting this project. I will take pics of the mounts, inner frame work and hinge when I pull the bumper off to finish welding.

I constructed the tire carrier out of the same material I use to build stretch limo golf cart frames which have a payload of more than 3,000lbs. This tire carrier should handle the abuse I will throw at it.

I designed the actual mount of the tire carrier to be adjustable. It bolts onto the tire carrier and can be moved up, down, left, right, foward and back depending on the adapter I make. So I can simply move it up and back if I ever decide to go to a larger tire. Currently I am running 31" treadwrights.

Also, sometimes I will want to carry a jerry can next to my tire. I am going to make an adapter that moves the tire to the right and will have a jerry can holder to the left.

I still have some finishing work left which include making a license plate holer and a handle for the latch. My good welder is being serviced so everything is just tacked together. After I weld everything up I plan to have it powder coated matte black.

Tire carrier mounting adapter

Unread 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
outbackmatt

I made some more progress on the tire carrier. I took it off to finish the welding, built a license plate holder and made the spring loaded T handle.

Here's the frame work underneath the bumper.

I've had experience with latches in the past on my K5 that popped open going down the road. The main reason I chose to go with a T handle over a latch is with just taking a few more seconds to turn the handle, I can trust the tire carrier will not rattle and most importantly will stay shut. Also the T handle mount is designed to support half the mechanical load which greatly reduces bending forces at the pivot.

Welded inner frame

Welded pivot arm

I'm orderig a couple of bronze bushings to press into the pivot arm. This will eliminate steel to steel contact, reducing wear on the brackets/swing arm.

After I finished welding, I reassmbled the jeep and hit the road to find bumps. Overall everything held together! No rattles or bouncing. As a side note, I hopped my big a$$ on top of that tire and jumped up and down like a monkey. It's solid.

One of the cool things about this is the rear glass still opens with the tire carrier shut if you just need to grab something quickly from the back.

My wj's cladding really needs to be painted. I was actually in the middle of prepping it for paint when the idea popped in my head to start the tire carrier project instead. SO I got sidetracked for a few days.

Unread 04-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
outbackmatt

Here is my wj with the cladding finally painted. I'm pretty happy with the outcome as long as the krylon fusion stays on as good as people here at jf say. I also painted the rear bumper and rocker covers. I'm waiting on new clips to come to put the rocker covers on and waiting to get my tire carrier back from powder coat to put the bumper cover on. I just wanted to show how the cladding came out. The easiest thing for me was to take the bumper and rocker covers off and leave the cladding on. Masking off around the cladding was simple and quick enough.

Unread 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
gordondude24
2000 WJ 

Nice looking rig man! Hopefully someday mine will get to that point.
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #27
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Glad to see a build thread.... Still loving the tire carrier and look forward to seeing you bring it to market.
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #28
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

The paint on the cladding makes a huge difference. It looks like a new Jeep!
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
outbackmatt

Thanks the cladding turned out good.
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #30
outbackmatt

WJ Tire Carrier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.