OME springs, light vs. heavy: ride quality??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > OME springs, light vs. heavy: ride quality???

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
K9-Handler

2005 WK 

OME springs, light vs. heavy: ride quality???

I've been considering what to do with the suspension when I get my future WJ, probably a late Overland. No rock climbing for me -- just trail/powerline stuff connected to my search and rescue missions.
I recently sold an XJ that I'd put OME "medium" springs on, and what was billed as a 1.5" kit actually ran almost 3", which was OK. Ride would be described as "firm".
The OME's for the WJ, however, only list "light" (0 - 90# of accessories) or "heavy" (90 - 200#), no "medium". Plans include a front bumper, rack, maybe a winch. And I have a few "accessories" around MY middle, too.

Since the WJ will also be a DD, what has been members' experience with the ride quality of the "heavy" springs (or the light ones, for that matter)?

Do they do anything to alleviate the old GC wallow? That would be a bonus!

US Army, Viet Nam '70 - '71.
Learned to drive in a '53 Willys Wagon. 2nd vehicle: 1950 Jeepster.
K9-Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Springs have nothing to do with ride quality. They only contribute to the height of the Jeep. The lighter springs would be more for a stock jeep with no accessories to cause them to sag. The stiffer springs will allow you to put a 200# bumper and other goodies on it without the springs sagging.

Ride quality is going to be dependent upon what shocks you have. If you plan on adding a bumper and winch and roof rack, I would go with the stiffer springs and make sure you get a decent set of shocks (MX-6's or Bilsteins)

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Springs do to affect ride quality. A spring with a higher rate and less coils will not move as much when hitting bumps as a spring with a lower rate and more coils.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
K9-Handler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Springs have nothing to do with ride quality. They only contribute to the height of the Jeep.
Uh, yeah. I'll also have to respectfully disagree. I have decades of experience building and operating race and rally cars, and that statement flies in the face of applied physics.
You, yourself, described the heavy-duty springs as "stiffer".

Stiffer = harder-to-press-down.

Harder-to-press-down = firmer ride.

You make a coil spring longer by adding coils. You make it carry more by making the wire a larger diameter, which makes it harder to compress, etc.
, etc.

But I do agree that shocks make a big difference in ride quality. That's why I have a set of Bilsteins on layaway with Kolak!

I was just curious if anyone on the Forum was running the OME heavy's.

Unread 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

If I was you, I would either all heavy or light in the front and heavy in the back.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Bmeckman
2012 JK Wrangler 

i just installed a set of the HD OME coils and MX6 shocks, i think it rides as good or better than stock.....my stock shocks were junk at 68 k miles
Bmeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
K9-Handler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
If I was you, I would either all heavy or light in the front and heavy in the back.
How about heavy on the driver's side and light on the passenger side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmeckman View Post
i just installed a set of the HD OME coils and MX6 shocks, i think it rides as good or better than stock.....my stock shocks were junk at 68 k miles
That's just the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks!

Unread 06-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

OME already gives slightly longer springs for the driver's side front and the right rear. It's the counteract the weight of the driver and the engine torque on acceleration.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.