Old cars are dangerous, or a genuine bad design? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Old cars are dangerous, or a genuine bad design?

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #31
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Personally i dont care if they recall this or not.. I stand behind Chrysler on this one... The reasons for wanting this recall is stupid.. If anything they should have recalled all the v8 engines for defective intake manifolds as they all have that issue.. The gas tank thing i realize is a safety issue so they claim but whatever

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #32
buttersjeep90
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Personally i dont care if they recall this or not.. I stand behind Chrysler on this one... The reasons for wanting this recall is stupid.. If anything they should have recalled all the v8 engines for defective intake manifolds as they all have that issue.. The gas tank thing i realize is a safety issue so they claim but whatever
I agree with you and Chrysler also. I feel safe driving my jeep. I tow cars and I've towed all kinda of jeeps mainly ZJ's because alot of Rhode Islanders don't take care of them, But I've towed a few from accidents and I've never seen any catch fire from a rear end collision. I saw one one day that had been rear ended and the tail gate was pushed in and was about at the back seat and the little old lady was standing there all calm like nothing happened. I have a alot of trust in my zj. Heck I've been rear ended, all i had to do was replaced the metal bumper behind the rear bumper cover, not hard to do.

What about all the new cars that are plastic and crap may be they should recall all those.
buttersjeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #33
DigitalPhoenix
1998 ZJ 

I was hit on the driver's side of my '78 C10 a few years ago, and those gas tanks were on the outside of the frame, by a drunk driver going 65 MPH trying to run a red light. She hit it dead on and it still did not explode. (Thank God no one was with me at the time because the whole passenger side was demolished!)

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
DigitalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #34
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

How many people reading this have a 96+ ZJ, and how many of those have a gas tank skid plate? I have a 96 Laredo that came with the gas tank skid ONLY. Also, I can't recall seeing a 96+ in the junk yards *without* a gas tank skid. This leads me to believe that the gas tank skid was rolled into the standard features around '96. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Why do I care? The white ZJ that they crash tested was a '96 Limited, which almost certainly had every option available. The crash test report has a photo showing that it had NO skid plate or trailer hitch, and they claim that the vehicle was equipped to "base model specification". This leads me to believe that they REMOVED the fuel tank skid plate to make it crash "better".

Either way, I'm with Chrysler on this one. It's ridiculous to try to force a recall on a vehicle that's been out of production for almost 15 years.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #35
buttersjeep90
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOspeed View Post
How many people reading this have a 96+ ZJ, and how many of those have a gas tank skid plate? I have a 96 Laredo that came with the gas tank skid ONLY. Also, I can't recall seeing a 96+ in the junk yards *without* a gas tank skid. This leads me to believe that the gas tank skid was rolled into the standard features around '96. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Why do I care? The white ZJ that they crash tested was a '96 Limited, which almost certainly had every option available. The crash test report has a photo showing that it had NO skid plate or trailer hitch, and they claim that the vehicle was equipped to "base model specification". This leads me to believe that they REMOVED the fuel tank skid plate to make it crash "better".

Either way, I'm with Chrysler on this one. It's ridiculous to try to force a recall on a vehicle that's been out of production for almost 15 years.
My 97 has a tow package but no skid plate. Might go to the pick n pull Saturday and get one.
buttersjeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #36
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
Didnt know a plastic tank would explode
Any partially-empty fuel container, of whatever material, is potentially explosive.

Liquid gasoline is barely flammable. Gasoline vapours are extremely combustible, and explosive when confined.

Don't believe me? Put 2-3oz of gasoline into a cooky sheet (use one you wife won't want anymore) on a level, flat surface - like the sidewalk. Light it.

Look right across the base of the fire, you'll see that there's 1/4"-1/2" between the base of the flame and the surface of the gasoline.

Have a big box of baking soda handy just in case it gets out of hand - do not use water!
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #37
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Old people are more dangerous than old vehicles, better recall them first.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

this crap belongs in the general forum
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #39
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
this crap belongs in the general forum
As I asked in the other thread, How is it crap?

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #40
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post

Any partially-empty fuel container, of whatever material, is potentially explosive.

Liquid gasoline is barely flammable. Gasoline vapours are extremely combustible, and explosive when confined.

Don't believe me? Put 2-3oz of gasoline into a cooky sheet (use one you wife won't want anymore) on a level, flat surface - like the sidewalk. Light it.

Look right across the base of the fire, you'll see that there's 1/4"-1/2" between the base of the flame and the surface of the gasoline.

Have a big box of baking soda handy just in case it gets out of hand - do not use water!
I knew a guy who's dad would have a bucket of gasoline, light a match, and put the match out by dunking it in the gasoline. That was nerve racking lol
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #41
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOspeed View Post

My '96 Limited came with the tow prep package (so no hitch) and no tank skid plate.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #42
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90

I agree there,but what is the ignition source?certainly not a metal gas tank
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #43
Kraxen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How ridiculous. This reminds me of the movies where someone shoots a car with a normal lead bullet and it explodes. Or when a car that ran out of gas falls ten feet off something and turns in to a mushroom cloud haha
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #44
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Jeep could prevent all this by hiring psychic designers that can predict future regulations and design to them.

But did they? No. Shame on you Jeep. Shame on you.

I hope the italians have to pay dearly for this.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #45
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Come on guys, government agencies are totally trustworthy to manage our helpless lives.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.