Old cars are dangerous, or a genuine bad design? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Old cars are dangerous, or a genuine bad design?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #16
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Its the same way on a Cherokee why isn't mine recalled

90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #17
Ghtrider75
1996 ZJ 

Before buying my 96 ZJ, I had a 93 YJ. I was rear ended at 55 mph and the trailer hitch broke from the frame and was sent flying into my fuel tank. Should trailer hitches be outlawed next? (J/k)
Ghtrider75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Out law all older vehicles that do not meet todays safety or emissions standards. Everyone has to drive either a Leaf, Volt, or a Prius. That would make Mein Fuhrer Obama happy.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #19
Ghtrider75
1996 ZJ 

Sorry, type o. It was a 93 XJ
Ghtrider75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
Looks like this is a big deal now...even my buddy saw it in the news. Chrysler's making a big gamble, saying NO to the fed's recall. This should get interesting....
No it won't. Chrysler will rightly refuse to recall anything, then the NHTSA will try and sue them, they'll faill and we'll get a dozen or so morons on here who complain when the dealer refuses to do something ontheir Jeep to make it "safer".
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

i know when i got my zj, it leaked gas from the filler hose. i wonder how many of the zj's involved in the explosions were leaking, causing a excape route for gas, and that caused the explosion. if thats the case, wouldn't that be more of a, "failure to maintain vehicle" then factory default? just my 2 cents
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #22
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

After dropping my tank to fix the PR I went to get gas but forgot to re connect the filler tube
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
wsigo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05
i know when i got my zj, it leaked gas from the filler hose. i wonder how many of the zj's involved in the explosions were leaking, causing a excape route for gas, and that caused the explosion. if thats the case, wouldn't that be more of a, "failure to maintain vehicle" then factory default? just my 2 cents
People don't take responsibility anymore, so no.

It's the company's fault for sure. They should make them leak proof or pay up.

Where's my free ride, dammit!
wsigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowak View Post
In my 1970 f-100 standard cab, the tank is in the cabin behind the seat. Lol, when I fill up all the way the top seal leaks. So I smell gas till about 3/4 of a tank. How bout that for a safety feature.
My '66 was the same way (behind the seat but didn't leak). Had a head on when a ditz (driving a '73 Chrysler New Yorker) decided to turn in front of me on the highway and the frame bent up puncturing the gas tank (among many other things, like engine block in the passenger seat). The truck flipped and ended up on the drivers side. After I woke up I rolled down the window and climbed out under the truck. When in the hospital the LEO asked why I did that saying the truck could of come down and crushed me. I responded by saying I smelled gas and knew I had a lit cigatette someplace in that truck and wanted nothing but out. Wonder if I can go back on Ford for that and no seatbelts too boot

From the reports I've heard today I wonder if the feds are putting a big emphasis on the fact that you can see the gas tank below the bumper of the ZJ?
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post

From the reports I've heard today I wonder if the feds are putting a big emphasis on the fact that you can see the gas tank below the bumper of the ZJ?
That might be a bad deal for us...they might issue a recall with a smaller tank.

Maybe we will all get bumper stickers that say "Warning: may explode if rear-ended. Get off my ***." lol.
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #26
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

there will be no recall. you don't re-engineeer a 20 year old vehicle; you write it off.

so chrysler is right; why would they go out of business to fix vehicles that aren't worth squat? they don't have any legal requirement to implement it; hell even when they did have recalls on stuff (like WJ brakes) if you didn't get it done fast enough it was waived.

besides. i'm not worried about being rear ended in my ZJ.

however, if you're one of the millions of folks driving that little tin can mazda/prius/whatever, you should be scared ****less of being rear ended/Tboned by my 1 ton dualy; you won't be worrying about fire then...... but you will be pulling your plastic car bumper out of your *** lol
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

At any rate, if the gov takes Chrysler to court and they are held in compliance we may get a free skid out of the deal.

Quote:
If Chrysler does not budge, NHTSA can hold a public hearing, then officially declare the Grand Cherokee and Liberty defective. While Chrysler can then challenge the decision in court, it also opens itself to liability claims and bad press. NHTSA suggests a potential fix in its letter — adding a skid plate sold as an option on some Grand Cherokees that would protect the tank in crashes — but it may take a judge to rule whether Chrysler has to do things NHTSA's way.
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #28
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Didnt know a plastic tank would explode
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I think there's something wrong with my jeep. Dealer, Please fix it for free...
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #30
CrzyMtnMan
1996 ZJ 

Survived the Ford Explorer exploding Firestone tire recall, took my good tires and replaced with street tires, which worked out well as I was driving highway miles at the time. I was driving a 91 Explorer at the time. I back Chrysler on this one, I will take anything for free though, do a buy back and set me up with a new Grand Cherokee! Seventeen year old vehicle, let some things rest I say. There are enough other issues that I am more concerned about on my rig.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.