The North50 WJ Grand Cherokee Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The North50 WJ Grand Cherokee Build Thread

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #46
Zacedward
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by north50 View Post

Good to hear, let me know how the 50 series sounds I may go that route myself.
Sounds good

UJC #181 2004 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L v8, 2"bb, kolak 3 " exhaust flowmaster 50 SUV , Rola roof basket, k&n cai,245/75 /16 A/T
Zacedward is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #47
TeeJay4490
1999 WJ 

Yeah I had a bit of a mishap to say the least lol

1999 Grand Laredo 4x4: [SIZE="2"]Whats left of a front bumper - JK Saharas' with 33's - 4 in. Rough Country lift - HID conversion - Double cardon conversion - TJ gas cap mod - Recovery points added - Painted cladding and grill - Skid plates - All moog suspension- Roof Rack -CB radio - Cut and trimmed fenders[/SIZE]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/tjswj-build-thread-1438516/[/url]

[url]http://wjjeeps.com/[/url]
TeeJay4490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #48
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well with the Clayton lift on its way I figured I needed a baseline of sorts. So with a friend from work in his XJ we headed out after work to ride some trails. We had a little rain storm pass through earlier in the day so it made for some wet trails but still a great time and the WJ never even had to go into 4 low.

Had to stop and take a picture or two

Then back at the house getting ready to be cleaned. The lift can't get here soon enough I'm tired of these mismatched ugly tires.

north50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #49
jeepinjeepin
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST
If you don't mind posting your wisdom on how the quadra-drive works I would love to read it. Unless its already somewhere else, I've likely read it.

I've got quadra-drive with varilock axles in mine and I love them hell out of them. I enjoy their quasi-locker-ness(TM)
If I'm not mistaken they use the abs brake module to slow the free spinning wheel(s).
jeepinjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #50
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin

If I'm not mistaken they use the abs brake module to slow the free spinning wheel(s).
Actually they use a form of clutch in the differential to lock themselves, which is why you need friction modifier for vari lok axles

04 Steel Blue Pearl laredo WJ 4.0L, NV242 TC, 42RE Trans, Dana 30 & 35C, 3.55 gears: 99% stock. 80k miles
OffroadOran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #51
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post

This is the best way I've seen it explained.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...guide-1271979/

Quadra-Drive
Special Order for Laredo, Optional for Limited, Standard on Overland
Transfer Case: NV247
Transfer Case Fluid: Mopar NV245/247/249 fluid, P/N 05016796AC ONLY

Operating Modes
4 All-Time: Uses a gerotor-driven hydraulically-actuated progressive clutch pack to transfer torque to the front axle. Under normal conditions, the unit operates in RWD but transfers torque to the front axle once wheel spin occurs. Suitable for use on all surfaces/conditions.
Neutral: allows flat-towing as the transfer case is disengaged from the transmission
4 LO: Locks front and rear axles together and disengages the progressive coupler. This also adds a 2.72:1 gear reduction, giving you 2.72 times more torque at the wheels but makes your Jeep 2.72 times slower. Not recommended for use above 25mph. Also, not for use on paved surfaces. Off road/snow only!
Editorial Notes: Quadra-Drive is the "top-of-the-line" 4WD system offered by Jeep for the WJ, and one of the biggest reasons the WJ earned so many industry awards and accolades upon release. It uses the same transfer case as Quadra-Trac II but added limited slip differentials front and rear called "Vari-Lok". These operate on the same principles as the transfer case, only instead of transferring torque front to rear, they transfer side-to-side. This means you truly have 4 driven wheels with QuadraDrive, something not offered on any of the other 4WD systems. Unfortunately, the same reliability and fluid-compatibility issues from Quadra-Trac II affect Quadra-Drive so transfer case failures are possible.

Off-road, the Vari-Lok differentials give tons of traction and often help the WJ hang with more-built rigs. They function better than most other LSDs due to their excellent reaction time and ability to operate with one wheel in the air. Unlike the older Trac-Lok differentials offered by Jeep, they operate with virtually no wear in normal driving (since their clutches are not pre-loaded) and also offer considerably more torque-holding power.

One slight disadvantage: the VariLok differentials require Mopar friction modifier with their gear oil, making maintenance slightly more expensive. If the wrong amount of friction modifier is added, the differential will either bind or slip too much. Redline's 75W140 gear oil has the proper amount pre-mixed, as does Amsoil's Severe Gear. Other oils have *some* friction modifier already added but not enough so you'll have to add a little more until it doesn't bind.

QuadraDrive has one other slight disadvantage - by adding VariLok differentials, Jeep changed the differential carriers and axle shafts for front and rear differentials. This makes installing any other locker/limited slip impossible without procuring the appropriate parts from a Quadra-Trac 2. If you MUST have a locker, start with a Quadra-Trac II or Selec-Trac vehicle. However, most users of Quadra-Drive (myself included) are very happy with their operation.
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #52
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moving right along in my quest to having one bad*** WJ. I took an opportunity to do some fluid changes while I had access to a lift.

Then when I got home I found 9 boxes at my door from brown santa. Oh yeah the Clayton LA lift has arrived. I have to say after having several vehicles I've lifted using several different manufactures lifts this is by far the most impressive out of the box. I just love how they don't try and reinvent the wheel and use proven products (Bilstein & JKS) in their kit.

So I have some work to do on the WJ now, but of course that just means it's going to be a PITA and go into limp mode. Wouldn't you figure the day the lift comes in the transmission is throwing a CEL code P0750. So again I put the jeep in the air and I notice the ground strap from the transmission is broken. Must have happened during my hard core wheeling the other day, really just drove through some puddles. Either way I ordered a new one and hopefully this will remedy my trans check engine light issue

Regardless I'm moving forward with making it a beast. So ordered some 1.5" wheel spacers, receiver shackle and some 33" KM2's. It's all coming together

Interesting car of the week
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #53
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

Looking good! I hope you get you MIL light sorted with the earth strap, so the lift can go on!
2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #54
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

For the visual learners out there, really simple video of how Quadra-trac II works.

macbethpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #55
jeepinjeepin
2004 WJ 

My bad, thanks for the good answers.
jeepinjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #56
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been slacking on the WJ but went ahead and bought a solenoid pack for the transmission today. This is due to the CEL P0700, P0750 codes. So hope to have the trans issue behind me and bring it home to install the lift.

Here is the latest part number for the solenoid pack. It's been updated and changed a ton.

Of course while I have the pan down might as well do a filter change

More to come soon

Unread 08-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #57
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Had a chance to get the solenoid pack installed in the WJ to hopefully eliminate the limp mode issue. Went very smoothly considering this was the first time I've ever been that deep in a transmission.

With the pan and flat filter removed it was time to remove the valve body. 6 bolts and disconnect the harness and out it came.

Made sure to have a clean spot to work on it. Then simply unbolt the solenoid pack and bolt in the new one.

I'll have the guys scan out the CEL in the morning and hopefully all goes well so I can start on the lift.
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #58
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

WJ is back on the road, I love it when I can fix my cars for 1/3 of what shops want to do it for. So of course it is having another issue now The PO had a viper alarm in the Jeep which had mesed up the ignition module and skim crap which was all fixed at the dealer before I bought it. But they just sort of rigid up bypassing the alarm. So I drove this grey POS home today so I can work out the bugs and figure out putting the Clayton lift on need to order the KM2's and spacers as well. Then a basket and some rock rails and this one will be ready to put to the test.

Looking good in garage

had to roll a 33" spare i had laying around up next to it to gauge how it will look.

Makes me want to get started on the lift tonight, but need to work out where I can have someone weld in the lift.
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #59
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

Making progress! Its always a process to get all the stuff the PO stuffed up sorted... Good luck!
2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #60
north50

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderWJ View Post
Making progress! Its always a process to get all the stuff the PO stuffed up sorted... Good luck!
You said it, the aftermarket alarm the PO had installed was nothing but a pain in my arse. So tonight with a little downtime I set out to get even with it.
I really like how easy the kick panel comes off and it gave me great access to the mess behind it.

I started removing the four black boxes a relay and the wires running in all directions. Then I had to unwrap what seemed like 2 whole rolls of electrical tape to get to where the spliced into the factory harness.

Here you get a good idea of the pile of crap that was all wedged up under the steering wheel. I still had to cleanup the wires going into the ignition harness in this picture. 4 of the 5 projects I'm working on had an alarm installed by the PO and every one of them has been nothing but problems.

Glad to report the Jeep fired right up after removal. Knock on wood it should fire right up in the morning rather than having a drained battery, time will tell.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.