JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Cherokee General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/)
-   -   The North50 WJ Grand Cherokee Build Thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/north50-wj-grand-cherokee-build-thread-1532321/)

north50 06-04-2013 01:54 PM

The North50 WJ Grand Cherokee Build Thread

I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 WJ limited 4x4 High Output V8 with 101k miles dark gray exterior with black interior for $5000. It is very clean runs great but has the weird to me quadra drive 4x4. It seems like a good deal but is it something I'd be crazy to pass on or is it just an ok price?

BLACK04WJ 06-04-2013 02:17 PM

That sounds like a pretty good price to me. The quadra-drive with have LSD front and rear from the factory if that helps at all. Sounds exactly like my jeep except mine is silver and not the gray.

north50 06-09-2013 06:09 AM

Ended up buying the WJ for $4500, now it needs a lift and tires :)

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...psd9aeda55.jpg

Terminal 06-09-2013 06:15 AM

Nice, dude. Wish mine was v8...

maloj2003wj 06-09-2013 07:03 AM

IMO thats a steak with that kind of mileage

OffroadOran 06-09-2013 08:44 AM

i didnt know the limited's came with the laredo silverblades too. Looks excellent though, you got a great deal

lazyWJ 06-09-2013 08:50 AM

Nice!

north50 06-09-2013 11:53 AM

Thank you all, I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase. It has tons of power and is comfortable, but not with out its issues. Of course it has the ever popular dent in the lift gate in the corner of the plastic piece running across it. Has a rust spot on the front edge of the hood and the bottom window strips on the outside are rusted internally. Both of these issues I'll fix next week with some small bodywork on the hood and a bug guard :) and I'll buy replacement window weather strip pieces. One wheel has a broken lug nut and another is missing a center cap, not to worried as I'll be putting JK moans on once lifted and 32's to get rid of the mismatched crap tires on it. Rear bumper is scratched and chipped and the front has three holes where the license plate bracket was. No front plates in Florida so I'll be filling those and painting both bumpers. Then both rear view door mirrors are garbage, one is cracked and the other the heat part went bad in so it's half black. Found new complete mirrors for $49 each so will just replace. Lastly the largest issue is the 10 way drivers seat does not slide forward or back. This maybe the most costly but is also how I got another $500 off the price. I'll post up more pictures tomorrow as the WJ is at work currently to get the paint work done. Also sent an email to jeep for a full build sheet, curious what gears are in the WJ.

Any thoughts on the IRO 4" and 6" long arm kits?

Terminal 06-09-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north50 (Post 15538852)
Thank you all, I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase. It has tons of power and is comfortable, but not with out its issues. Of course it has the ever popular dent in the lift gate in the corner of the plastic piece running across it. Has a rust spot on the front edge of the and the bottom window strips on the outside are rusted internally. Both of these issues I'll fix next week with some small bodywork on the hood and a bug guard :) and I'll buy replacement window weather strip pieces. One wheel has a broken lug nut and another is missing a center cap, not to worried as I'll be putting JK moans on once lifted and 32's to get rid of the mismatched crap tires on it. Rear bumper is scratched and chipped and the front has three holes where the license plate bracket was. No front plates in Florida so I'll be filling those and painting both bumpers. Then both rear view door mirrors are garbage, one is cracked and the other the heat part went bad in so it's half black. Found new complete mirrors for $49 each so will just replace. Lastly the largest issue is the 10 way drivers seat does not slide forward or back. This maybe the most costly but is also how I got another $500 off the price. I'll post up more pictures tomorrow as the WJ is at work currently to get the paint work done. Also sent an email to jeep for a full build sheet, curious what gears are in the WJ.

Any thoughts on the IRO 4" and 6" long arm kits?

Ouch... Sorry to hear that. You should have pushed for at least 1000 off.

north50 06-09-2013 01:09 PM

If I wait a while I can fix the seat for nothing. Buy a scrap jeep use the part I need then scrap the jeep for my money back. Just a matter of finding a good donor :) or I can buy a seat track for $250-$350, this is more likely to happen.

maloj2003wj 06-13-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north50
If I wait a while I can fix the seat for nothing. Buy a scrap jeep use the part I need then scrap the jeep for my money back. Just a matter of finding a good donor :) or I can buy a seat track for $250-$350, this is more likely to happen.

If you get a jeep for scrap with good enough parts you can sell them here, and make $$$$$ then your seat track is gonna be free :)

north50 06-13-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maloj2003wj (Post 15558567)
If you get a jeep for scrap with good enough parts you can sell them here, and make $$$$$ then your seat track is gonna be free :)

I'm keeping an eye out but it's the only thing that bothers me about the WJ right now. The seat is just to close to the steering wheel. Other than that I've cleaned it up and have been loving driving it.

Mirror before (passenger side was smashed, drivers side had burnt up) replaced both sides.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps3eddfd38.jpg

After
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...psc3052de4.jpg

Just parked at work. I have the black headlights with the clear turn signal bottoms coming and I'm going to paint the grille insert black as well.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps7fd5eae3.jpg

Also ordered floormats, flowmaster super 44 and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an IRO 4" LA kit and I already have 17" JK Moabs but will need 1.25" spacers.

billzcat1 06-13-2013 08:22 PM

The only thing that really concerns me about this Jeep was the mismatched tires. That can really damage the QuadraDrive system. The LSDs in the diffs and transfer case rely on speed differences between the tires/axles to engage the LSD. If the tires weren't the same size, or even the same size/different brand/model you can get significant speed differences side/side or front/back which then causes undue heat and wear in the differential in question.

I'd give the QuadraDrive a good test and see if it still works. Either put it on 4 jacks and make sure all 4 engage immediately, or go find somewhere to romp around without doing too much damage (gravel road/parking lot, etc).

north50 06-13-2013 09:01 PM

Sorry I should have been more descriptive. by mismatched I mean by brand not size although I understand how from one manufacture to the next the same size can vary some. I looked into the Quadra Drive system before I purchased the jeep because it seemed very odd compared to my TJ. And just like you mention tire size along with the type of fluid in the TC and diffs is critical for this system. I took the WJ out in a dirt lot and engaged the 4low and it defiantly works. I did figure eights and could feel and see in the marks on the ground it was engaging. This is the main reason I wanted to decide on a lift right away. So I can decide on tires that are all the same brand and not damage the Jeep. And hey if I blow up the diffs that just means JK axles with real lockers :) But thank you for looking out.

billzcat1 06-13-2013 09:33 PM

Good deal. If you need info on how the QuadraDrive physically functions, let me know. The axles are pretty amazing IMO, the transfer case is good not great.

The time now is 01:14 AM.