Newbie here, should I purchase this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Newbie here, should I purchase this?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
break1ngbad

Newbie here, should I purchase this?

Hey guys. First post here!

I am in the market for a used car.. I found a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LTD: here is the description:

"Heated leather seats, power everything, and tons of new parts including having the transmission and differential rebuilt recently, rear main seal, alternator, power steering pump, waterpump, and a mile long list of others( i have reciepts for everything). This truck has a 3.5" lift with 33" mud terrain tires , Performance exhaust, K&N intake, MSDignition and lots more. The truck currently has 202,500 mile and with all of the new parts, has PLENTY more to go."

WOuld it be a wise choice to buy this car with such high milage? I'm not worried about the gas. Thanks.

Any more info needed let me now, thanks!

I'm sorry the price was $3,500!

break1ngbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Justin_WJ
2000 WJ 

It's a Niner, buy it.
2000 WJ Limited, 4inch RC X, 242 T-case swap, 33x12.50 STT's, 15x8 D window wheels with 3.75 BS, JKS ADJ. Tracbar, T-case armor, Custom front winch bumper, Smittybilt XRC 8, 4.56's Extended Rola Rack w/Harbor Freight 6" lights, and always muddy :)
Justin_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Link to the ad and pics?
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
break1ngbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Link to the ad and pics?
Here are some pics

http://imgur.com/2ztDmLI

http://imgur.com/XQeTIyP

http://imgur.com/qkwoQCV

http://imgur.com/MRfJfYQ

Sorry, should I be worried if I post the link to the ad? If someone snatches it before I do, or pays higher haha.. I know I sound silly...
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
break1ngbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_WJ View Post
It's a Niner, buy it.
Haha, i'm new to jeep, whats so special about the 5.9? (Not trying to sound rude, honestly curious)
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

It's the nicest package of zj with the 5.9 v8. I'd go for it but not for 3500 there's to much wrong with it already just from the outside. The bumper is gone, there's rocker parts missing looks like rust on the front left fender the 5.9 grill is missing I can't see the hood is idk if the louvers are there and the rear bumpers all cracked up. There doesn't seem to be skids either. If you really want it and can fix it up I'd ask for less. If it was more compleat then 3500 a good price.
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

I think you can do better. If I were to buy one, I would want to start out with a clean slate, not molested.

Edit: and it doesnt even have a niner grill
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee95kid View Post
It's the nicest package of zj with the 5.9 v8. I'd go for it but not for 3500 there's to much wrong with it already just from the outside. The bumper is gone, there's rocker parts missing looks like rust on the front left fender the 5.9 grill is missing I can't see the hood is idk if the louvers are there and the rear bumpers all cracked up. There doesn't seem to be skids either. If you really want it and can fix it up I'd ask for less. If it was more compleat then 3500 a good price.

This is why I try not to sell stuff used. Dealing with BS like this is such a waste of time. Even pricing 30% lower than comparables, you get people who try to pick apart every little thing.

OP: Take it for an inspection, run the CarFax. For $3500, it probably won't last long.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I'd buy it...
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut

This is why I try not to sell stuff used. Dealing with BS like this is such a waste of time. Even pricing 30% lower than comparables, you get people who try to pick apart every little thing.

OP: Take it for an inspection, run the CarFax. For $3500, it probably won't last long.
Why?

He listed legitimate concerns. It looks like it was probably involved in a front end collision at some point (grill and hood vents are $$$$$ to replace) so it makes sense that stuff is gone. 202500 is a lot of miles for something that has a problematic rear axle and transmission, especially for that price. Lift and tires do not add value, especially if it's been thrashed off road. Additionally, thats a good indicator its been through a bunch of tough winters, and those arent kind to ZJ's either Personally I don't think it's worth anywhere near $3500.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.