Newb and his WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Newb and his WJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Newfive
2000 WJ 

Newb and his WJ

I have been reading these forums for about a month... with great anticipation on buying a WJ. Well I did get that WJ... it was an impound vehicle from a child molester... GLAD to have taken it off your hand bastard.

I will post some pics and links to pics have couple video... going to make a project out of this WJ. It started with going over the simple things.

1) Engine tick.. not bang or clank.. it goes away after warm... (lifters)... right now WJ is in driveway with head off.. did valve lap, new lifters, planed head with 400 emery cloth... new therm, waiting on gasket set... (online head set for $88, new head bolts $28 Parts Geek) stripped and painted also.

2) Bushings.. prob all but doing wishbone first... upper outer $10 each same as above. I have press.

3) Oil pan... uggg... one of those spinning drain plugs... soon as I get head gasket I will drop pan and get under side complete... may put in new pump... depends on what pickup looks like. Weld hole and re-weld drain plug on... clean paint and put in rear main while I have it off. Found after doing head I will do 2 more Sea Foam cleanings and oil changes to clean out engine. Then put in some good oil and filter.

4) Performance new plugs... E3... K&N filter... already sea foamed...

5) Start on suspension new tie rod ends and rest of bushing all around... take off old, clean, paint, replace. Change out off fluids and filters...

6) Fix drivers seat... frame broken.. minor stuff... need to find Tan leather cover to replace bottom pad.

I need to get all these done before end of May.. taking road trip to Texas (Wedding) and going on Vacation after that...have lots of prospecting to do...

Pics video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/itsphot...7632793586810/ or https://plus.google.com/u/0/11436992...43/posts/p/pub

jeep1.jpg   jeep2.jpg   jeep3.jpg   jeep4.jpg   jeep5.jpg  

jeep6.jpg   jeep7.jpg   jeep8.jpg   jeep9.jpg   jeep10.jpg  

Last edited by Newfive; 03-09-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Newfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Good luck, if you find yourself some time paint the cladding and do something with the wheels and foggy headlights
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Newfive
2000 WJ 

I have already done some shopping... J & B salvage on East 50 Orlando... they have WJ parts and told them to get as many more as they could.

New Battery Advance Discount Autoparts Gold 1000 CCA

Bought: Center console, Spare Rim, two roof rack rails, head light lens, Power Steering Pump, OEM Hitch with harness, two tweeters.

Everything but console and PS pump have been put on.

Let me know what you think.. upgrades, mods, items you think would look good.... plan on 4" lift, new tires, roof cargo basket, couple lights.... have 5' Firestick just need to find place to mount.

Will post more photos... waiting for this freezing weather to pass.
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
pmdowd6
2002 WJ 

Did you at least clean out the interior? With him being a child molester and all
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Newfive
2000 WJ 

Already restored new headlight with 2004 without amber stripe... along with fog lamps.. those pics are just after I brought it home... as stated it took 3 days of cleaning.
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
jeep04
2004 WJ 

Good luck with the new to you wj.

New head... $88
New head bolts... $28
Garbage bag... Priceless
04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Newfive
2000 WJ 

One large 33 gallon iron clad bag...
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
james_2k
2009 WK 

bad idea with the sparkplugs, from what people are saying, you get the best performance from regular copper ones.
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
texlurch
2002 WJ 

More pics of boss/supervisor would be a great upgrade... LOL!!!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #10
Soggybrain
2004 WJ 

Wow it looks like the po lived in that thing. I have alot of stuff in my wj but that all just looks like trash he didnt want to put on the curb.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Newfive
2000 WJ 

We shall see with the E3... will post some pics today of updates and how it looks now... and dismantled engine.... head gasket on truck for delivery.

Weather looking better tomorrow hope to get oil pan, rear main, head back on. Will work on bushings if I have time if not will get them on Wed.

Going to paint trim and rims same color... thinking of flat black or something of that sort. I do need to get a new key fob one I have doesn't work anymore and alarm goes off every time I lock it up.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
Shaggs2Dope
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k View Post
bad idea with the sparkplugs, from what people are saying, you get the best performance from regular copper ones.
X2 on the spark plugs. Only use the oem specified champion copper. Many many people on here have had problems with anything but the champions and when they switched back, problems gone.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
Shaggs2Dope
1999 WJ 

Unless it's the 4.7 H.O. engine of course.
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
james_2k
2009 WK 

i used copper nkgs and they are also working great, and i think jeep swapped to them for later 4.0s anyway?
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
Newfive
2000 WJ 

Ok got some clean pictures now... replaced lifters and had major issue with oil pan.. some ******* thought that if he stripped out the drain plug he could drop the pan and put a nut on the plug... WTF... had to get new pan... $80

As you can see I also put on the OEM hitch with harness, new tweeters are in... new battery, 2004 head lamp lens, its clean... have SeaFoam in oil right now 5w30 to clean out rest of gunk in motor then put some GTX high mileage with a Mopar oil filter. Also put on two more roof racks for when I make a cargo carrier, doing research for making front and rear bumpers also.

Still have suspension to work on... tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, bushings for front upper and lower, upper rear already have just need upper ball joint, and both lower rear bushings.... then its time for new rotors, bearings, seals, and ceramic breaks.
jeep11.jpg   jeep12.jpg   jeep13.jpg   jeep14.jpg   jeep15.jpg  

jeep16.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.