New GC Summit--After 3 weeks--Transmission Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > New GC Summit--After 3 weeks--Transmission Issue

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 04-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Summitguy

New GC Summit--After 3 weeks--Transmission Issue

Hello All,

I just became a Jeep Owner; 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit. A gorgeous ride no doubt but sad to say that I'm already a bit perplexed.

The other day I was leaving for a wedding out of town and upon trying to enter the freeway (ECO mode off--which I've gotten in the habit of doing), I had no acceleration capability! There was something definitely wrong. The motor seemed to "rev" but the power wasn't getting to the pavement!!!

It was a strange feeling but I limped along for 10 miles or so and experimented a bit. If I pressed the pedal for power, again it seemed like it WANTED TO DOWNSHIFT and go, but it didn't!! Scary stuff. Again, the engine "revved" but no noticeable increase in speed!!!

I knew it was transmission related and after 5 miles or so, despite being late for an out of town wedding, I had to turn around and head for the dealer in Warrenton where I purchased the car.

As long as I drove "normal" the car seemed to move along and it got me home where I unpacked the car and then drove to the dealer--20 min away. The time was now about 4PM.

At the dealership the service guy plugged an I-pad into the car's dash and said it appeared the car needed a "transmission software update." So, I left the car and got a ride home. My wife, already up at the PA wedding site was furious they didn't offer me a loaner (Safford Dealership guy said they only had one loaner and it was "out.")

The next morning I called to get an update and was told there was only one guy in the Service Dept. who "knew the Jeep transmissions" and he had two other cars in front of mine. (scary) My wife called and put the fear of God in them I guess and they expedited the update. I got a call around noon that the car was ready.

The Service department had their driver come pick me up at my home (which honestly surprised me a bit as I didn't really authorize that and the car had a bit of a greasy/garage smell which seemed to be coming from this young fellow). At the dealership I simply dropped him off and rushed off to my wedding. The car felt fine and sure enough, a press on the pedal got it moving fine!

So, here's the goofy part: I have the paperwork from THE DEALER's SERVICE DEPT saying: "E-Con was on--turn off in city, only use on Highway."

It then notes: "UPDATE TCM 18-19-08.9F .2 Below it it states:
4 Update PCM 18-19-06-Y8 .2

A call to my salesman to ask about the Eco mode and whether I can default it "off" as it seems odd the SERVICE DEPT would tell me NOT to use it anywhere but Highway! My salesman says, "He is incorrect. The car is supposed to be in Eco mode; he's relatively new and made a mistake saying this."

As you can start to see, I wonder who to believe now!!!

This is ridiculous! The SERVICE GUYS don't even know the Jeep GC transmission!!??? And WHY ON EARTH did this even happen!!? (NOTE: This was a demo, allegedly driven by the dealerships' owner and had 5,800 miles on it)

Has anyone else heard of this and had similar "updates" required to their $50,000 Jeep!!!???

I'm starting to wonder when the next software "update needed" will occur and possibly leave me stranded!

Sorry for being so long-winded.

-Bruce

Summitguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.