"new" '98 5.9L Limited ZJ or current '05 TJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > "new" '98 5.9L Limited ZJ or current '05 TJ

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #31
hotrodjeeper
1998 ZJ 

Niner any day

Unread 08-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
vm_boy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Over the weekend, I talked with my brother-in-law about the Grand Cherokee that he used to own. He had a 2002-ish model with an I-6. He said he had all kinds of issues with the transmission and transfer case. He doesn't think he'll ever go back to a Chrysler vehicle. He recently purchased a 1996 4Runner at an auction for $1500 that is now over 250k miles and still runs like a champ.

So now I've decided to do my homework on 4Runners. It's been difficult because there are so many different combinations of trim, 2wd/4wd, etc. It's not like a GC Overland where the only difference is the body color and maybe only 10-20% have 2WD. What I have learned though, is that in 1999 and 2000 on the Limited 4WD models, they have a Multi-Mode transfer case as well as a selectable electronic rear locker. That was the only way to get that combination. Today I started looking at the 4th Gen models. Some of those models have the XREAS suspension which is good stock, but bad/useless if you're interested in lifting. I've still got more homework to do and there are also other related models to consider like the Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470/450. Those get a bit pricey, but they're more like the GC Overland in that they're all the same and have top-of-the-line equipment.

I'm a little concerned about the aftermarket and community support behind 4Runners. I've been a Jeep owner since I bought my first CJ-7 when I turned 16. I'm very familiar with how they work, where to get information, and where to buy parts. I'm familiar with how to upgrade them and how to work on them. Is there anyone on this forum that could speak to the pros and cons of the 4Runners option? Has anyone owned one or tried working on them? I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
vm_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #33
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Here you go. . .
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #34
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Taaaah Daaaah
image-414972712.jpg

cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #35
vm_boy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the 04 WJ I was interested in was sold yesterday. You snooze, you lose, I guess.

I looked at some other WJs and none were as nice as this one. One had some major shaking as I made a tight turn in a parking lot, so I ran away from that one.

I checked out a '95 Land Cruiser last weekend and it was pretty beastly...almost too big for what I'm used to though. There's another I'm hoping to check out soon that is $4k and has the front and rear selectable e-lockers.

There currently aren't any WJs on Craigslist worth looking at and the ones on Autotrader are either too far our too expensive...so I guess I'll just have to keep waiting.
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #36
WJefy
2004 WJ 

I am a current owner of an '04 Overland and a former owner of a '96 Limited V8 ZJ. Love and miss my ZJ, by the '04 Overland is better in every area. I sold the ZJ at 212K with no major issues. I bought this WJ at 93K and have had it for 4 months. Absolutely love it. It is a great continuation of the JGC line from the previous generation.
I had a 3" lift on the ZJ. No problems. Never got stuck in mild wheeling. I am planning a 3" lift for the WJ before snow (though it'll be a 2" lift from the UC suspension on it now).
My two cents here echoes what's already been said...as a daily driver, I would go with something newer rather than older, even if it means paying more. Since the TJ is paid for and you're not in a hurry, shop until you find the right one. I wouldn't waste time on Jeeps that need "just $100 fix at the dealer". If that's all it takes, then the seller would've fixed it. If they haven't, then what else have they neglected?
An Overland is special in many ways. It is still absolutely spotless, but wherever they had it serviced didn't know squat about an Overland. Wrong diff fluid and transfer case fluid.

Anyways, good luck. Upgrading you Jeep is fun. Upgrading from a couple to a family is infinitely more fun.
WJefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #37
vm_boy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input WJefy. Have you had any issues or concerns with the Quadradrive? My concern is with the gerotors/vari-locks - that they might fail at some point and then I'm not sure how I would repair/replace them.
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #38
WJefy
2004 WJ 

I haven't had any issues with the drivetrain other than the wrong fluid. There is a significant improvement when using the right stuff - sorry, after driving with the wrong fluid, I can't stress it enough.
I've read a lot of posts concerning the diffs/transfer case but I can't recall any that posted actual issues or failures. And I think most folks are pleased with them.
I did have a water pump go out, but I should've known it was on its way when I bought the Jeep. I could hear the whine but I was hoping it was the tensioner pulley. On the bright side, with an electric fan instead of mechanical, changing it was a breeze.
So far I replaced the rear sway bar with an Addco piece and Energy Suspension grease-able bushings - huge difference handling! (WJJeeps has a write up on this which helped.) K&N FIPK, CB and antenna, amp and aftermarket sub. One of the reasons I like it so much is that it is still just as easy to modify as the ZJ. Parts are now plentiful.
Off to bed. I could ramble all night...
WJefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.