Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Nelson1248-build thread

24K views 242 replies 45 participants last post by  redman333 
#1 · (Edited)
hey guys and gals, so my name is Nelson but all my friends like to call me Nelly!
Im 18 and learning all my stuff as I go...
so i have a 2002 Grand cherokee Limited 4.7 H.O.

I really admire all my stuff and if i do something i want it done right, so i do it myself...

so i started out last year in August of 2008, its my first jeep...

so about 6 months ago a jeep bug hit me and started getting me into dumping money into my rig...
so first off yes im 18 as i stated above so people told me I couldnt clear anything bigger than stock tires so yes i was a poor high school student with a part time job so i had no money for a lift but wanted bigger tires...
so i went to the tire shop one day after getting paid and decided to have the dude at the shop try some tires on my rig so i saw some cheap and barely used BFGs all terrains that really caught my eye(265/70/17[32s]) so i told the guy to try them on i was at stock hight he insisted they wouldnt fit so he bet me 20 bucks i took up the deal and they fit with minor rubbing so i got all 5 tires mounted for free!!

soon after that i wanted a spare tire carrier since my spare no longer fit in the stock compartment where it was before...
started pricing them and they were way out of my budget so i decided to build one...

after this main part was done i decided to put some way to mount a high lift on there but at the time it was looks over function but i did it any ways!
here is the end result of the tire carrier!

then came the roof rack i found a smitty built roof rack on craigslist for $100 bucks NIB so i called the guy up and he seamed very friendly and it was new so he sent it over and it was just as described!

bad thing about it was it had no light tabs so i welded them on and got my KC daylighters up.
this is before light tabs...

after light tabs

after wheeling and having a little rubbing i decided i needed some lift so i got some BB pucks from IRO...

See less See more
#2 ·
so then i graduated from high school i gathered about $360 bucks for graduation and put that in my savings account.... i got a full time job for the summer and i saved enough for some wheels... I ended up going with some beadlocks since i wanted a unique rig and didnt wanna go with the soft 8s everyone goes with... i stored my wheels in my closet till i bought new tires and a lift kit... so then i bout a lift I went with IRO 6.5" critical path... installed the lift and then waited a month till i got tires so now i have the tires and this is where my rig sits as of today!!
thats me and my rig

me and my dad which i couldnt have done a few things with out him and all of his help!

and now im still awaiting the arrival of the fender flares!

let me know what you guys think!!!
good or bad guys i dont care i am asking your guys opinion so i wont get mad if you flame or say negative stuff this is an online forum and i am asking opinions and i know i will get people who will dislike what i have done since i have done a few things differently than some of you guys would have!

Thanks for all your guys help also i have had a lot of helpful info from you guys here of JF for thought and opinions about everything i have done to my rig before i did it!

thanks,
Nelly:wave:

#3 ·
Wow it looks freakin sweet. I remember seeing your jeep a while back when you built the tire carrier for it so when I opened the thread I kinda knew what to expect. Then I got to the second post and almost crapped my pants cause your jeep turned into a beast. Keep up the great work.

Looks like your front driver tire could use some air.

#11 ·
ok,
so i was thinking...
i live in the dessert the only wheeling i do is in soft sand hills and trails!
i wanted a steel bumper from protofab but i see no use for it i would find it more useful for some different terrain so i got to thinking if i would do anything to my rig it would be looks over function!

so i was thinking if its gonna be looks over function should i just get a brush guard!?!
they are cheap and make pretty much for looks!?!?

reason why i shouldnt get a steel bumper, because they are heavy and i will never have any good use for it since there is no terrain here in my area where a bumper would really be needed!

reason why i want a bumper, because i want to complete my look and i havent done anything to the front of my rig!

so the question is brushguard over steel bumper, get a steel bumper anyway or just leave my original bumper and dont get anything!

#21 ·
i do have recovery points but not in the front just in the rear!!!
but i can weld too so i can weld some tow hooks on the brush guard!!!
Hows that HO doing with 35s and stock gears?
the H.O. is holding up pretty good! i need the flares to come in and see how is does on the trail to see if i am gonna need to to regear or if i can just do with out!

the rig pushes the tires with no strain but i need to know how it climbs!

#13 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Yeah, if you don't mind waiting for them.

#18 ·
Doesn't look that way to me.

Sounds like you didn't read:
Iceland offroad has fiberglass bumpers and thier flares would look real nice on your jeep.

Sounds like you did read:
The Iceland offroad bumper would look real nice with the flares you orded.

It's whatever though.

#20 ·
Doesn't look that way to me.

Sounds like you didn't read:
Iceland offroad has fiberglass bumpers and thier flares would look real nice on your jeep.

Sounds like you did read:
The Iceland offroad bumper would look real nice with the flares you orded.

It's whatever though.
You kids will argue over basically nothing, that's all a little strange to me.

But, the real question I have is ..........What is up with that avatar ?:hahaha:

Hope that's not what you have in your future.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

#24 ·
Your jeep will look bad *** no matter how you do it. Good job.

#26 ·
It looks like you did a great job with your tire carrier, why don't you try your hand at building a custom bumper? That way you can tailor it to your wheeling requirements. Just a thought. Either way, your rig is beastly!! :2thumbsup:

#27 ·
well the reason why i dont do a bumper or cant decide to buy one is because where i live its all soft sand and hills and i wouldnt need a steel bumper for anything and its just a bunch of dead weight i dont need and my rig is already heavy enough...

if i do buy a bumper im leaning brush guard or proto fab bumper with stinger!?!

if i were to get the protofab i would definitely need to cut out a few holes for fog lights in the bumper tho....
i think im gonna have to put this aside until i decide what i really want to do!
my dad says brush guard too, some of you say either way is good and some are stuck on a steel bumper!
these all sound good to me for different reasons!

#28 ·
alright guys i decided to go with a brush guard!!!
now im debating on a few things, and these are my options!

A) roof rack and lights up top ON and no lights on the brush guard.
B) remove roof rack and lights and install light on brush guard instead.
C) add lights on brush guard, leave lights on roof rack and leave roof Rack.

I want your opinions!

#30 ·
The WJ looks great at 6.5". I'd still think about a "real" bumper in the future so it could house a winch. I know you're in the sand now, but you're so close to the rocks ;) Did you get a full brushguard, or one of those little things thats only down low.

Reading your posts necessitates coffee or an energy drink, you're always soo excited!!! <--and using those all over the place. Maybe someone replaced your . key with !...LOL

#31 ·
haha no i have a . and a ! haha... but ! helps me express myself online and ? and ... you know what i mean lol

im usually pretty happy and excited! better to be that way and worry less idk why people on here are always so angry and raging on eachother! a good comment really helps people out alot and motivates people to always want to do more and more! so as you can tell i am very easily motivated!

I will definitely keep a full bumper in mind for the future tho! ;)
I went with a full brush guard i havent got it mounted yet because im still in the process of the fender flare install the install is pretty easy and simple. i took the flares to get painted yesterday so they should be done on wednesday at about noon they were pretty booked but the dude saud he would find time to get them done.

reason why i havent installed the brush guard is because idk if the light guards are gonna work out with the flares so thats why i havent put it on if it doesnt work out ill probably sell the brushguard and get a full bumper but that is out of my budget right now so im hoping the guard fits for a while at least!!!

so any opinions on the lights and/or roof rack!?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.