Neewbie Jeep's Thread 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Neewbie Jeep's Thread 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Meik

Neewbie Jeep's Thread 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited

Hi all,

So I have bought a:

Make: JEEP
Model: Grand Cherokee LTD AUTO
Fuel Type: Petrol / LPG
Engine Size: 3960 CC

Was a blind buy of ebay, but I like it

So I decided to jack it up and take a look at the brakes and hub etc as I have a droning noise on the Front Left Passenger side..

I have up-loaded some images, It looks like the rear drivers side pads are wearing unevenly... would you change pads? disc's? both? or leave?
  • At the front you can see the rubber housing behind the wheels are also perished,
  • Other than that the hand break is naff and I am undecided as to changing the whole things it trying to adjust... for it to apply it needs to be pulled right up.
  • Whats the best thickness for disc's on jeeps before they need changing?

my-jeep.jpg   front-drivers-side.jpg   front-drivers-side-2.jpg   front-drivers-side-3.jpg   front-passenger-side.jpg  

rear-drivers-side.jpg   rear-drivers-side-2.jpg  

Last edited by Meik; 03-30-2013 at 08:11 AM..
Meik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

The rubber boot behind the wheel is the CV axle, they aren't too terribly expensive to replace. I recommend checking the other side for a torn boot also.

Also, for preventative maintenance, I'd replace both sides at once.
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Meik

Ok so I'm going to start with the hand brake, is there any photo guides on how to do this?
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meik View Post
Ok so I'm going to start with the hand brake, is there any photo guides on how to do this?
Is worry about the CVs first.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Meik

I have ordered some boots to replace them
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I have ordered some boots to replace them
Ok bro. I normally replace my rotors everyother time I change my brakes btw. I Probly don't need to but still do.
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Meik

Cool ta, the last picture I posted is my back rear brake which i think looks to be wearing slightly un evenly what do you think?
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Cool ta, the last picture I posted is my back rear brake which i think looks to be wearing slightly un evenly what do you think?
Yea, the outer is defiantly wearing faster then the inner side.
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post

Ok bro. I normally replace my rotors everyother time I change my brakes btw. I Probly don't need to but still do.
Hope you're saving those old rotors haha. I just turn mine, normally replace them every 4-5 brake changes.
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Meik

Used a 12 volt pump to pump up my tyres and it drained the battery.... Yet this never happened on other cars I've had... Yet the battery charge sees fine in general just not when using gadgets.
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
Meik

One new battery installed , tested it and it's reading 12.6 volts, disconnected the positive cable and checked for drain didn't read anything so that's good hopeful,y was just a duff battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.