Need Some Advice and Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Need Some Advice and Help

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Need Some Advice and Help

Hey guys. I finally Picked up a Jeep Grand Cherokee.. I am a Surf Fisherman and needed a Truck to get me on the Beach. So I picked up a 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited. 6cyl. It is making a Whirling noise from the Rear End... I dont know if it is the Axle Bearing or the Carrier Bearings... Could you guys give me price on both? Is that a Big Issue??? Also what are some Mods you guys have done?? What would be some of the things you would Change or Tune?? It only has 105k on it.. She is In Mint to clean Shape. I will have to get you guys some Pictures. But if you could point me in the Direction on what to Overhaul, Replace, Fix, Or adjust before putting it on the Road that would be Great. Thanks guys.

KillaJeep4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It could be either carrier bearings, Side/spider gears or pinion gears. You can get a rebuild for approx. 100$ from most of the jeep forum venders.
What I would do is search around for what gear ratio you have, than source a Dana 44 A, It will be in most 98 V8 grands. THis is an upgrade in strength and has a Limited slip differential. That would most likely be a better route than just rebuilding your dana 35 that you have.

Search around. more info that you can process. As for mods. Start yourself out with a 2'' budget boost <<search that. It will get you up a little to get on the beach and down the less traveld trail more. Hope that helps.

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
It could be either carrier bearings, Side/spider gears or pinion gears. You can get a rebuild for approx. 100$ from most of the jeep forum venders.
What I would do is search around for what gear ratio you have, than source a Dana 44 A, It will be in most 98 V8 grands. THis is an upgrade in strength and has a Limited slip differential. That would most likely be a better route than just rebuilding your dana 35 that you have.

Search around. more info that you can process. As for mods. Start yourself out with a 2'' budget boost <<search that. It will get you up a little to get on the beach and down the less traveld trail more. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will have to do some Research on this Truck.
What you are telling me to do, is Replace the Rear End on the Truck? To a Dana 44 A?? If that is Correct, How hard of a job is it?? Could I be able to do it infront of my house?? I am a side Mechanic, and know pretty much my way around tools.

What is this 2' 'budget boost??? And where do you want me to Search for it??? I am new to Jeep, More of a Chevy Guy! First Truck too.

Should I replace Tranny Fluid? Diff Fluids? What else should one do or check as this is my first, and was Bought used??
Unread 06-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
K9-Handler

2005 WK 

First thing first

Hi, KillAJeep;

Welcome to the Forum, and a across LI Sound.

Maybe the whirling noise is just the turbo the previous owner put on!

The VERYfirst thing you should do is read this part of the Forum:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...u-post-880249/

Probably most of what you want to know can be found in that one place.

Then come back with more specific questions. BTW, your vehicle is a ZJ, if you haven't figured that out yet!

There are a couple of kids doing a ZJ axle swap in the parking lot of a gas station up the street from my office. I think one of them works there and the owner is letting them use the lot where they park the cars they tow off of the interstate. If you get everything lined up before you start wrenching, it should go pretty quickly.

My only other suggestion is to pick your tires carefully. The last thing you want for beach sand is the heavy-treaded tires that many posters here like for rock crawling. All Terrains (AT) are about as aggressive as you'd want to go.

Your "mint" Jeep won't be for long once that salt gets to it!

US Army, Viet Nam '70 - '71.
Learned to drive in a '53 Willys Wagon. 2nd vehicle: 1950 Jeepster.
K9-Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Unread 06-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

I am going over the Manual... Not really Sure what to ask about a Jeep.

What should One Replace at 105k???

I was gunna do New wires, Plugs, Rotor/Cap, Oil Change, Filters Change......

he put bigger tires on it, have to get the size.

It has the Death Wobble I believe in the Back a little too... Not sure why or if it is true.

What other info does one need or should know about his ZJ?
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
K9-Handler

2005 WK 

[quote=KillaJeep4569;9603735]I am going over the Manual... Not really Sure what to ask about a Jeep.(/QUOTE]

Then read the FAQ.

Quote:
What should One Replace at 105k???
Only what is broken! That isn't really high miles on a Jeep.

Quote:
I was gunna do New wires, Plugs, Rotor/Cap, Oil Change, Filters Change......
Always a good thing on any newly-acquired vehicle to start a baseline. You really don't know what the P/O did to it.

Quote:
It has the Death Wobble I believe in the Back a little too... Not sure why or if it is true.
The dreaded Death Wobble only occurs in lifted vehicles. I'd look for other things like a bent wheel, radically out-of-balance tire, or whatever is making the noise you mentioned in your first post. Shouldn't be happening on a stock Jeep.

Unread 06-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
MissKays01WJ
2001 WJ 

Congrats on the jeep!

Death wobble doesn't only occur on lifted rigs mine had it when it was bone stock but once it was lifted it never happened again. But like some other guys have said read the FAQ's and you'll learn a bunch!
MissKays01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

The Faq is cool and all but Personal exp. Talking with other Owners is much easier than Reading thru a A ok FAQ.

Well The Check Engine light is on and it sounds like it is Bucking at low idle. and when I WOT it Bucks then goes... What do you guys take on this??? I will be taking to Autozone to have the ECU Read.

I bought New PLugs thinking it was that, Ill do Wires and Rotor/Cap Next.
Changing Oi, Fuel Filter, oil filter, Anti Freeze. What else do you think?
Unread 06-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Well Guys Just about Finished. So Far what I have Done.

1. New Spark Plugs ---Platnuim +2 (my fav)

2. Oil Filter and Oil Change --- 10W30 Synthetic Blend

3. Rad Flush and Change ---- 50/50 Mix

4. IAP Clean up ---- Saw this On this forum and it was Yuck!

5. Cleaned Throttle Body up and area

6. Rad Overflow tank is Rusted out and trying to clean it best I can.

7. Removed Air intake Snorkel. Dont Need that. Im thinking of making custom Intake.

Any other things I should Over haul or should Replace at 105k and buying a Used Truck You guys let me know
I know I want to Change the Distro Cap/Rotor and the Plug Wires are next. I broke one today. Plugs were Yuck!

Does Anyone know If it would be ok to just drain the Tranny Fluid out the tranny pan and then Refill it from the Top 1/2 of the engine? Or should I get this Done At a shop??
Unread 06-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaJeep4569 View Post

The dreaded Death Wobble only occurs in lifted vehicles. I'd look for other things like a bent wheel, radically out-of-balance tire, or whatever is making the noise you mentioned in your first post. Shouldn't be happening on a stock Jeep.
Not true . . . bad wheel bearing, bad tread on a tire, worn CA or trackbar bushings, bad steering box, etc, can all cause deathwobble on a stock height ZJ.
Unread 06-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
K9-Handler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Not true . . . bad wheel bearing, bad tread on a tire, worn CA or trackbar bushings, bad steering box, etc, can all cause deathwobble on a stock height ZJ.
Guess it boils down to your definition of Death Wobble.

Sure, those things can cause a vibration in ANY vehicle, not just a Jeep, which is why I suggested a few things to check.

It is my understanding that DEATH WOBBLE is so bad that it makes one nearly lose control of the vehicle until they stop. It's caused by radically changing the geometry of the suspension by lifting, and amplifying any small problem that wouldn't normally be a big deal.

There be wobbles, and more wobbles, then Death wobbles! It's all just a matter of severity. I've had a wheel bearing fail on me, but I never associated it with Death...

Unread 06-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
thebgkoolio
2013 JK Wrangler 

my thought of death wobble is anytime your vehicle shakes and scares the crap outta ya. lol

Sold: 94 zj -3.5" on 31's, bunch of other mods.
thebgkoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #14
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Were off topic here guys..... Need to figure out how to get to the Bearing Issue in rear now.... Did a Complete tune up and she Purrsss... Now gotta fix this Bearing. What do you guys think or where to start?
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

I took my 98 ZJ on the beach at Cape Hatteras a while back. It did great even with stock tires and no lift. Just air your tires down to 20psi and you will be fine. No if you just want a lift and bigger tires then go ahead.

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.