Need help identifying a squeakin' creakin' part.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Need help identifying a squeakin' creakin' part....

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 05-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

Need help identifying a squeakin' creakin' part....

For a few weeks now there has been a MADDENING squeak n' creak under my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L that I've finally identified. There is some kind of bracket/brace/mount that is mounted to the rear differential and comes off in a wide V that mounts to the body of the vehicle on either side, about under the rear seats. Where it mounts to the rear diff is where the noise is coming from. I need to know what that part is called so I can have the mechanic look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Ball joint in your A arm. It's shot needs to be fixed. PITA to do it yourself but it can be done.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

THANKS! I'll probably have to get my mechanic to fix it. Any idea how expensive a repair that might be?
Unread 05-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

No, I've never had mine go out on me. But it would be fairly simple job with a lift yet some mechanics will try and take your arm and leg for the work.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Unread 06-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

I just got an estimate today on repair - $540. Ugh. Where would I get the part myself?
Unread 06-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

Ok, I found one place - jeep4x4center.com - the parts in quesion are numbers 13 and 21. Is there any pressure on this piece when its just sitting on flat level ground? I mean of course I would brace the frame/body before I did anything. Heres a link to the parts image:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ & WG Suspension Parts Components at Morris 4x4 Center

The mechanic I talked to today said that both parts - the arm and the ball joint - have to be replaced. Is that true or is it just the ball joint that needs replacing?

Last edited by KDOG2008; 06-10-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
patrick983
2000 WJ 

i just bought one from rockauto.com for under 30 bucks, go to their website, type in your model etc, the rear joint is under "ball joints", its the rear upper, the mevotech brand comes with the mounting bracket, i have one sitting next to me. still no easy install, but id do it 3 times before id pay somebody 540 bucks to do it. if you DO need the whole arm assembly im sure you can get it at the dealer for about half that quote.
Unread 06-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

Yeah I think I'm gonna try it. Thanks for the info. So whats the favorite retailer here?
Unread 06-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

No reason you should need the whole a-arm. The bushings at the frame mount may be bad too, but those can be replaced without replacing the whole arm.

To make life easier when doing the ball joint, disconnect the shocks, the lower control arms, the sway bar end links, and pop the springs out. Then disconnect the a-arm at the frame and rotate the axle backwards to gain access to the three bolts on the top of the diff.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

^ X2 do as he says
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

I have considered that as well. And I just may do that. I don't know about taking apart the whole suspensions system, rotating the rear axle etc.... but we'll just have to see. Thanks for the input guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.