NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #91
narnwv

2000 WJ 

A little bit off topic, but I was nominated, and won the vote to take the position of "Southern Chariman" of my state's Jeep club. As of 9pm- Sep 1, I'm a Jeep politician HAHAHHA.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #92
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Oh, and we found out today that our second child (due in January) is going to be a boy. (our second boy)

Unread 09-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #93
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

Congrats!

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #94
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Another Jeeper to be. You should get on hooked on Johnny Cash from the womb. Put some of those wombphones on your wife! lol I think Jeep did a great thing when they went with Cash for their theme music in recent ads.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #95
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Well today sucked. I apparently picked the hottest day it's been around here in 3+ weeks to work on the Jeep.

My rotors were warping again 9about 25k put on them, I have ATE calipers. I grabbed new rotors+pads, a new Moog shimmy shock and a red shock boot on Advance's website last night. Found a $50 coupon that made the total after taxes $128.xx Not bad considering what all I got.

No pics during install (it was 105* today) I stripped one of the caliper-bracket mounting bolts and the hole on the caliper bracket. The closest bracket to me is 2000 miles away. Advance doesn't even carry just the bracket, so I had to buy a new caliper+bracket assembly. It was $52, which I dealt with since I saved almost that with the coupon on the brakes order.

I gotta say that braking is super smooth, and my steering has tightened up quite a bit. The Moog stabilizer is probably 50-70% larger in diameter than the stock one (that I can assume has 239,535 miles on it). I have had a wee bit of bump steer recently, and I'm going to go down this road I take to work and see if it resolved it. (it's a 50mph posted speed limit, with what's essentially two speed bumps that cross the road about 100 yards apart)

Now I just need to work out the issue with my rear tires and she'll be ready for the 1000 mile trip next weekend. I just hope I can get the noise out of the tires--the whole reason I took off the M/Ts. The flowmaster is loud enough as it is.

Unread 09-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #96
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I ran by the place where I got the tires today. Instead of telling me my Jeep had a problem, he said the tires probably came off a 4x4 truck with bad front end suspension parts. They did have exceptionally great tread depth for used tires. (again, the front two look brand new)

He said he couldn't remember whether or not the issue was there when I bought the tires a few weeks ago (I don't think so, but who knows) He also said there shouldn't be a safety issue. What do you guys think?

I'm going to warranty out my shocks this evening, and get the two tires re-balanced in the morning. I've got about 1200 miles to drive over the next few days, so I'm trying to get any possible vehicle issue out of the way before we leave tomorrow afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
Are the tires just effed now?
New ones are out of the question. I wanted these, as they were cheap, to get me through the winter-before I look for M/Ts again.

Unread 09-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #97
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I'd think the tires will be all right for the time being, but I really can't say. It's strange indeed. Did you swap the front to rear as you'd been considering, to see if it's an issue with your Jeep after all?

Fortunately, these Jeeps will often let us take them on trips even with various issues. I just went on an 800+ mile round trip to Colorado, and my Jeep is a mess. The driver's side front swaybar link bushing, the axle one, is ruined and thus body roll in cornering was considerably less controlled than it should have been. There are a couple tie-rod ends that could use replacing, but they're not terrible. The ABS light was on the entire trip, and I can't figure out what's going on. I thought I'd gotten this problem dealt with! Also, vibes at 50mph continue and might even be growing worse as I drive the Jeep. I'm worried I'm doing worse damage by continuing to drive it, but I even had the stealership look at it, as I couldn't figure it out, and they couldn't figure it out either. That didn't stop them from charging me $40 for looking at it.

With all that said, I made the trip and survived, and the Jeep still feels solid. So at least while they might have issues, they still are fairly reliable in getting us where we're going. As long as we're willing to deal with a few 'quirks.' Oh yeah, and the petcock on the lower passenger side of the radiator is leaking, and evidently it's no longer in production, impossible to get.... I talked to a mechanic, the one that I had look at it because heck, life isn't allowing me much Jeep time lately, so I have to trust other people(I despise this as people never seem to have sense), and he said I should just keep an eye on it, and that the only fix would be to replace the entire radiator...

I'm just telling you all of this so you can get a bit of perspective. Hey, maybe it'll make you feel better, too. I keep pouring money into her, and she keeps asking for more. She might as well be a girlfriend, except I don't get any benefits. Wtf?

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #98
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Did you swap the front to rear as you'd been considering, to see if it's an issue with your Jeep after all?
Negative. The more I thought about it, I don't want to screw them up at all, since they're practically new. I'd rather just buy 2 new tires (after--hopefully not during the trip)and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I keep pouring money into her, and she keeps asking for more. She might as well be a girlfriend, except I don't get any benefits. Wtf?
I'm still under book value invested into this thing, so I'm not butt-hurt yet. YET. I do have HOURS and HOURS invested.

My benefits are when I concur an obstacle off-road and get a standing ovation from all the "grocery-getter" doubters.

Didn't have time to deal with the shocks tonight, and there's no time before we leave at noon tomorrow. I suppose 2 new shocks and 2 new tires are on the list pretty soon.

I did wire up a back-seat 12v lighter plug for my son's accessories for the trip. He's never been on an 8 straight hour car ride. I also wired up a switch and relay for the 12" fan I'm putting in front of the condenser in the morning to help with any heat issues.

The temp gauge is still climbing after shutting the engine off, and peculiar enough when the engine was up to temp yesterday, the radiator cap was cool.

My temp still sits on top of 210, but I haven't seen it climb any further since the ambient temps lowered below 90. (same behavior as before: water pump, thermostat, lower hose, radiator+cap)

Oh well. We're making this trip even if I have to drive a newer Jeep home.

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #99
narnwv

2000 WJ 

So I swapped out my battery at Autozone today. After the new one was put in, I noticed that when I started the Jeep, the A/C came on (how it was when I shut it off), then the A/C light went out. Recycle stayed lit.

If I manually put it to face/feet/whatever, I can manually turn the A/C button on, and it works just fine. But if I have it on "AUTO" on the mode selector, the A/C button lights up, then goes off.

Any ideas?

ZERO codes come up when I do the AZC diagnostics.

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #100
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I went on a mini vacation this past weekend. Drove about 1400 miles. Tires are still in the exact same condition as they were, so I'm sure it's not the tires. Developed a pinion seal leak while I was traveling. I guess I should've replaced the seal when I did my yoke swap

Engine did get a tad warm climbing the mountains, but never over 220, so I suppose the radiator is okay.

Today I put a 12" pusher fan in front of it just to be sure. It's on it's own switch so I can toggle it on/off whenever I want. Didn't get any pictures, but I did have to grind down part of the metal cross-piece (bumper) that's in front of the condenser to get the fan to fit right.

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #101
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have the same thing with my ac, but it only happens randomly. Had some electric work done and it hasn't happened again...

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #102
narnwv

2000 WJ 

what's funny is that I never used "auto", as I couldn't believe it knew where I wanted the air to flow. On "Lo" it blows cold air in the face, where I want it, so i've just been leaving it on Auto.

Unread 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #103
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Cleaned her up pretty good yesterday, finished (windows) this morning, and bedliner'd the rocker panels today. Looks good IMHO, and hides the dent under the driver's door pretty well.

Unread 09-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #104
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I got a check engine light the other day. When I scanned it with my scanner, this is what it said:

B1400 Driver Power Window One Touch Window Relay Circuit Short To Battery

I'm not able to locate this relay to test/replace. Any ideas?

I have had some battery drain issues, even had the battery replaced under warranty--but I'm still having voltage issues, so I'm trying to track down this error. The CEL has gone back off (by itself), but I still need to look into this problem.

Unread 09-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #105
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Looks good with the bedlining. My ZJ picked up a nearly-identical dent on my first ever wheeling trip.

As for the one-touch window relay, I think that is part of the BCM.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.