NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #76
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

lack of rotations, bad wheel bearings, bad allignment, lots of factors can cause cupping. nice jeep btw

aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #77
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

They look new for being used, honestly. Mine don't look that new, as in your first pics, and I've only put on maybe 7-8K at most since I got them a year and a half ago. They're excellent tires so far. I've no idea on the tire wear issue though. It's not something I have experience with.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #78
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
I'm not saying it's the tires. I wouldn't give anything used by someone before me a bad review. They seem like super nice tires, the front ones are perfect. I just want to find and fix the issue.

To clarify, they were $50 EACH--so $200 for the set.

I have actually not checked the pressure yet, but in my experience, you get even wear in the center of the tread, or outsides of the tread, not really the checkerboard wear.

It's gotta be something with the Jeep. I have a hard time believing that there were 2 bad tires, and they both got put on the rear axle. Especially when the front tires are damn near perfect.
I agree the odds of them both being put on the same axle, not likely.
maybe just rotate them fronts and rears. i find it very weird that the rear of all places are presenting that wear pattern. id expect it from a front.
if you find the problem def let us know the source to this mystery.
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #79
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
lack of rotations, bad wheel bearings, bad allignment, lots of factors can cause cupping. nice jeep btw
I do have a low-speed whine coming from the rear, which I've assumed ws my rear wheel bearings. It's been there for a while though. They're on the rear, so I doubt an alignment would help. Thanks for the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
They look new for being used,
Agreed. That's why I jumped on them. They even still have the little "needles" on the sidewalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_kelly252 View Post
I agree the odds of them both being put on the same axle, not likely.
maybe just rotate them fronts and rears. i find it very weird that the rear of all places are presenting that wear pattern. id expect it from a front.
if you find the problem def let us know the source to this mystery.
I agree with this, and later today will be swapping them front to rear to see. If it starts happening to those, I'll know it's not the tires, but something on the Jeep.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #80
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Finally got around to swapping the tires today. I swapped just the rear ones, Left TO Right, and vice-versa. The whah whah whah noise going down the road is a little quieter, we'll see if it levels the tires out and makes any difference.

FWIW, all 4 tires are at 46psi, sidewall says "Max 80psi"

Unread 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #81
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
BTW, I'm banking on 1/4 million miles by the end of the year. I'm almost at 238,000. Should hit it by the middle of the month.
Impossible. We all know 4.7s are garbage.

Subscribed!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #82
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Those are stock-sized tires, right? Or 29's anyway? I'd say 46psi is a bit high. I run 30-32psi in my 30.5's. I have the same Hankook AT's, also. At Discount Tire they recommended 36psi, but I was reading stuff on KOR's website that stated lower psi is recommended for larger tire size. Stock is 225 for ZJ's, I believe. For the 15" wheel. That's 28.5", I believe. So 2 inches more, I'd say that the door panel's recommendation of 36psi is a bit high. I think 30-32 works fine. Does it ride rough with 46psi in them?

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #83
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Those are stock-sized tires, right? Or 29's anyway? I'd say 46psi is a bit high. I run 30-32psi in my 30.5's. I have the same Hankook AT's, also. At Discount Tire they recommended 36psi, but I was reading stuff on KOR's website that stated lower psi is recommended for larger tire size. Stock is 225 for ZJ's, I believe. For the 15" wheel. That's 28.5", I believe. So 2 inches more, I'd say that the door panel's recommendation of 36psi is a bit high. I think 30-32 works fine. Does it ride rough with 46psi in them?
Do you have the 10-ply LT version of these tires? The sidewall does say 80psi.....

Stock for me--from the factory was 245/70/16 So these 30.5" tires on a slightly larger wheel aren't too far off.

I didn't get to chalk test them today, forgot to rob the little man's sidewalk chalk this morning. I'm going to chalk them first thing, I have a 100 mile trip first thing in the morning, then lower the psi and re-chalk. I'll take pictures... I'm sure I'll have another 100+ miles before I get home. ( I do on-call field IT work )

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #84
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, the chalk will be worn off in the first 100 feet. That's the idea, you can test wear quickly by seeing how the chalk rubs off on a short drive.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #85
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Well, the chalk will be worn off in the first 100 feet. That's the idea, you can test wear quickly by seeing how the chalk rubs off on a short drive.
durrr..

It's 12:30 am here, and I'm remotely working on a couple clients. It's hard to stay focused when you've got 3 different Remote desktop sessions open, on 3 different monitors, JF+about 15 other tabs open on monitor #4, while chugging a Monster.

Unread 08-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #86
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Well, still haven't done a chalk test. I'm not even sure that will help diagnose this, as it's not an over/under inflation issue. It's obvious where the tread is hitting the road. I did swap the two tires left to right as someone suggested, and the results are no different.

Here are some current pictures....

You can really see in this one how every other tread lug is being rouded...

Unread 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #87
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I also dropped to 36 PSI when I swapped them left to right.

Unread 08-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #88
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Let's say these two rear ones are junk. Since they were bought used, it's not like I can return them (although I'm going to see if the place I got them have 2 more to swap with me)

So let's say these are junk. What would be the downfall for me buying 2 new ones, but going with the regular tires, not the "LT/Load range E" tires?

Criss-cross rotations would be out of the question, but front to rear and left to right would be okay right?

Unread 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #89
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I'd think you'd be right, but I don't know a lot on this subject. I just thought I'd voice my opinion since no one else has said anything. I can't see the tires being trash though. Something seems off on the Jeep itself to be causing this. You just swapped them left to right, not back to front, right?

I can't remember what load range mine are. They're not E though. C perhaps?

Unread 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #90
narnwv

2000 WJ 

yeah, I need to swap front to rear to see if it starts happening to those two.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.