NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #61
narnwv

2000 WJ 

BTW, I'm banking on 1/4 million miles by the end of the year. I'm almost at 238,000. Should hit it by the middle of the month.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #62
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

That's a lot of miles. The engine has never been rebuilt? I'd say that those temps are a bit warmer than I'd like to see on even a 4.0, let alone an aluminum engine. I wonder why the radiator is so seemingly cheep...

They should've included a new radiator cap. People underestimate the importance of that. I got a new rad cap recently after I couldn't understand my Jeep running warm, and so far it hasn't warmed up like it had been. I haven't had a chance for a long road trip to see if it'll slow rise like it did before though.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #63
narnwv

2000 WJ 

The PO let it run low on oil and spun the #8 rod bearing at 192k. That's how I got a free Jeep. (PO was my boss) We rebuilt the engine in September 09, and in the 23 months I've owned it, I've put 46,000 miles on it.

Unread 08-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #64
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I put some new (used) smaller tires on it today. Needed something other than M/Ts for the 900 mile trip we're taking in a couple weeks. Hankook Dynapro A/Tm 245/70/17. Will post pics when I get them uploaded to photobucket.

Unread 08-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #65
narnwv

2000 WJ 

also renewed my JF membership today.

Unread 08-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #66
narnwv

2000 WJ 

New Taaarrs

Not bad for $50/tire

New on the front, BFG M/T still on the rear

Unread 08-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #67
patrick983
2000 WJ 

i heard those are good tires, nice
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #68
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick983 View Post
i heard those are good tires, nice
They're pretty bad-*** for $50/tire. The worn out M/Ts were, well, worn out. Too much noise and I have a long interstate trip coming up. I spun out on wet pavement the other day, and decided it was finally time. I want to run M/Ts, but decided to get these to get me through until the spring. They're the right size as well, so I'm hoping to see some improvement in fuel mileage.

Once she's a little taller, I may run mAll-Terrains on the JK wheels, and get some mud terrains put on my factory 16" Silverblades, and just swap them out the night before a wheelin' trip. Sure would make tires last longer. (I drive about 35,000 miles a year)

Unread 08-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #69
robd2003
2002 WJ 

looking very good!
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #70
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
looking very good!
Thanks man. She's getting there.

Unread 08-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #71
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I could swear that this problem wasn't there when I bought them. I inspected them pretty well before putting them on. It seems as if they're "cupping". Every other lug is wearing out.

Any ideas what would cause this? The BFG M/Ts that were on there were doing the same thing, but I just shrugged it off to them being worn out, crappy tires.

Unread 08-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #72
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

I may have an answer for you. In a used tire case. If you do not run the tires the same direction you can cross the belts and wear the tire funny. Happened to me. Wore out tires in 8k.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #73
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

damn, sorry to hear such negitive experience
i ran those tires back when i was stock. loved them. here in maine winter/snowny conditions were great. offroad, they were excellent for an AT tire. by no means were they an MT but heck those sidelugs are damn near meaty for an AT.
For $200 i would have jumped on them too! I bought mine brand new from discount tire i believe 5 shipped was $450 ish for 245/75/16 (on sale) petersons offroad magazine had rated these tires higher than BFG AT's but tied for first place with falken wildpeak AT. the falkens did better in mud with their testing. and the hankooks were better when aried down and on sand.

But that really sucks about getting tires that have that prob, now your going to hate them and turn people away from them from now on. as ^^MYGrandcheroke said i have heard of that. however i dont see that both rear tires doing the same wear patterns. i really feel retarted even asking someone like you Narnwv...but are you properly inflated? jw what psi are you running?
when i had mine for normal street driving i was running 50psi. some may think a little high but i got best mpg's at 50psi
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #74
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I'm not saying it's the tires. I wouldn't give anything used by someone before me a bad review. They seem like super nice tires, the front ones are perfect. I just want to find and fix the issue.

To clarify, they were $50 EACH--so $200 for the set.

I have actually not checked the pressure yet, but in my experience, you get even wear in the center of the tread, or outsides of the tread, not really the checkerboard wear.

It's gotta be something with the Jeep. I have a hard time believing that there were 2 bad tires, and they both got put on the rear axle. Especially when the front tires are damn near perfect.

Unread 08-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #75
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Oh. Im not saying the tires are bad or the guy sold.bad tires. Hey when its in.your $$ get them. But.in some cases I have.seen.tires.do.that.
Now if the.jeep is bad that could be it to. It Can be a million things I just put out one that I have.seen once. Now for.both tires.doing it that could.be weird. I notice my.wj.wears fronts faster than backs and I do my own alingment at work.
Sent from my Droid using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.