NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-26-2014, 04:22 AM   #676
narnwv

2000 WJ 

no driveline shops around here anymore. I've got all new u-joints for both shafts. I'm actually not too concerned with vibrations, since I dont' DD it anymore. I'd like to give it a go anyway, and if there are horrible vibes, then find a driveline shop within a reasonable driving distance.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #677
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
no driveline shops around here anymore. I've got all new u-joints for both shafts. I'm actually not too concerned with vibrations, since I dont' DD it anymore. I'd like to give it a go anyway, and if there are horrible vibes, then find a driveline shop within a reasonable driving distance.
I'm sure if you call Randy's they can send you the correct parts

Sent from busted up iPhone
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #678
narnwv

2000 WJ 

cross pin and bolt ordered.

I called the dealer today, as I was willing to pay double to get it today. The only way they sell the pin is "with a full gear set for $495". I told the guy that was crazy, and I'd get it aftermarket. He said he would too.

Now I just have to find the centering ball/yoke for my front double cardan and I can get to work.

I still have some jerking in the trans. Drove it about 350 miles during all the snow with the occasional jerk. Had it up a Lowe's yesterday, and it didn't want to start. Gave me a P0340 (cam sensor) and P0891 (EATX Relay always on). I NEED to get it inside somewhere and comb over the wiring.

Unread 01-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #679
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

This the one?

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p108...reaseable.html

And this.

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...Cardan-Rebuild
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #680
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Yeah, I've gone over the mallcrawlin thread a couple of times. I actually have a few places to get the centering ball, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Hoping to soon.

Just spent my "front bumper money" on a brand spanking new refrigerator. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Also, we learned in the Moderator's forum today that you can't say "Jeep Patriot" on here without the space, it gets sensor'd.

Unread 02-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #681
narnwv

2000 WJ 

So we got the Aussie installed, pics to come later.

One thing that concerns me is a loud pop/bang every now and then. Similar to what's in this video at 1:40.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Unread 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #682
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
So we got the Aussie installed, pics to come later.

One thing that concerns me is a loud pop/bang every now and then. Similar to what's in this video at 1:40.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi7ze7149HE

Any ideas on what it could be?
It unlocking itself under load while turning....

It didnt unlock when you began the turn and was forced to unlock (differetiate) in the middle of your turn and it seems you werent on the trotthle during the turn....

Wanna get rid if noise during turn? Put locker under load, give it a little gas to engage locker...

Also i use the thixker weight oil to help drown locker noise during slow turns....underground psrkinglots sucks...noise us amplified
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #683
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I threw in Lucas 85w-140 hoping it would be okay. I am a little low (didn't have quite enough with me doing the install at a friend's house).

I need to fill it all the way up and try.

There's an intersection near me, where when turning left (common) you have to punch the throttle to avoid collision, and that left hand turn is probably a 25 degree angle from where you have to hit the throttle. I thought the rear axle was seriously coming out of it.(and so did all the cars waiting on that road for the green light)

I'll figure it out eventually, I guess. After we get some better weather and I can get the transmission wiring ripped out and gone over. I'm still having trouble with random limp mode after it warms up, different code though (also at complete random times)--that has the same definition. EATX Relay Always on.

I'm getting a little sick of it. I may end up with a 5-speed yet!

On a lighter note, I bought a 2010 JK Rubicon Front Dana 44. Needs gears and knuckles. It has everything else (including the electric locker!)

I'll probably finally learn to weld so I can put brackets on it to make it fit the WJ.

Unread 02-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #684
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I'm trying to get some pictures off my phone. I've taken quite a few, and don't think I've uploaded any to this build thread....

It's been busy as **** for me recently.

Unread 02-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #685
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Your phone still encrypted?

Sent from busted up iPhone
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #686
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Yes - which makes it a pain in the *** to get photos off. I'm dumping them now.

Typing on phones sucks

Unread 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #687
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Could ya pm me the apps u used or the direction i need im getting a new phone and wanting to play a bit

We're you able to get those pics?

Better mouse traps result in smarter mice
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #688
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Could ya pm me the apps u used or the direction i need im getting a new phone and wanting to play a bit

We're you able to get those pics?

Better mouse traps result in smarter mice
If you're using android, it's built in. It's in the device settings page, under storage I believe. Once encrypted, You have to use an app to get the data off.

Unread 03-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #689
narnwv

2000 WJ 

so we're supposed to get 2" of ice, then 10" of snow on top of it tonight. I figured I should probably fix my front drive shaft that's been womp-womp-womp since new u-joints were put in it.

I've had the centering ball yoke lying in the back for almost 2 weeks now, so I tore into it to discover that one of the zerk fittings on one of the u-joints was hitting the old centering ball yoke. I put a needle fitting on it, with the new centering ball yoke, and was good to go. Except I did this all in the rain.

Doing some reading, it appears that we should've left the shims in the rear diff when installing the Aussie, so when the weather is a little better, it's coming apart again. It keeps binding up and unloading, even when going straight (after a turn), and even in long, low radius turns. Hopefully the shims will take care of it.

Bought this on ebay last week: http://www.logansmetal4x4.com/jegrchwj.html Hopefully it'll get here this week. I also picked up a Badlands 9000lb winch at Harbor Freight. $224 for the winch with 90 day warranty, and I paid the extra $50 for a 1-year on top of that. If anything happens to it within the next 15 months, I can walk it in, and walk out with a new one. I grabbed the wireless controller for it too. The bumper and winch will be one of the best/most expensive/most eye catching mods to my Jeep so far.

I still need to get some pictures up.

Unread 03-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #690
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
so we're supposed to get 2" of ice, then 10" of snow on top of it tonight. I figured I should probably fix my front drive shaft that's been womp-womp-womp since new u-joints were put in it.

I've had the centering ball yoke lying in the back for almost 2 weeks now, so I tore into it to discover that one of the zerk fittings on one of the u-joints was hitting the old centering ball yoke. I put a needle fitting on it, with the new centering ball yoke, and was good to go. Except I did this all in the rain.

Doing some reading, it appears that we should've left the shims in the rear diff when installing the Aussie, so when the weather is a little better, it's coming apart again. It keeps binding up and unloading, even when going straight (after a turn), and even in long, low radius turns. Hopefully the shims will take care of it.

Bought this on ebay last week: http://www.logansmetal4x4.com/jegrchwj.html Hopefully it'll get here this week. I also picked up a Badlands 9000lb winch at Harbor Freight. $224 for the winch with 90 day warranty, and I paid the extra $50 for a 1-year on top of that. If anything happens to it within the next 15 months, I can walk it in, and walk out with a new one. I grabbed the wireless controller for it too. The bumper and winch will be one of the best/most expensive/most eye catching mods to my Jeep so far.

I still need to get some pictures up.
Did you remove the thrust washers? If so, your tolerances may be out of spec. Did u measure the centerline gap to ensure it was within the spec outlined by TORQ Master?

My spartan still does that...here and there.

It certainly always loads and unloads when turning especially if im on/off the gas during turns.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.