NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 45 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #661
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Nope. New TCM helped, but it's not perfect yet.

I started pulling out the wiring harness last night. I'm going to go over it with a fine tooth comb, and see what I can find.

Typing on phones sucks.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #662
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Found these:

Passed those tests.

I did notice that the trans harness was laying on the passenger valve cover, before dropping down. I tied it up with a zip tie and went for a drive. Over the course of 3-4 miles, it only shifted strange once.....but I did feel a bit of slippage..... I should've just put a 5 speed in it from the beginning like I wanted to.

Unread 12-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #663
narnwv

2000 WJ 

A couple days ago, I tied my trans harness up with a zip tie. It was lying on the passenger valve cover, so I figured why not? Took it for a drive, and it did well, only changing gears on it's own once. I parked it until we could dig deeper into the wiring.

Well this morning it dumped about 8" of snow between 6:30am and 9am this morning. I took the Jeep out (had to- steep, icy driveway)to get the mother in law for her to come hang with the 2 year old while we took the 5 year old to the doctor for an ear infection.

Jeep did great, although it did go back into limp mode with P0891 (Trans relay stuck on). 2nd and 3rd gear only, but otherwise smooth as butter. I'm really diggin the Vari-Lock front axle.

It was kind of all over the road though, so I need to look into some bushings and steering components. My Christmas bonus next weekend better be fantastic. I'd like to throw another $1k in arms/parts into this thing and be done for now. (yeah right!)

Unread 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #664
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Go 5speed ,,, then be done

Sent from busted up iPhone
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #665
narnwv

2000 WJ 

that's what I wanted to do from the beginning, but the used auto was $150 (half of the solenoid I later bought), and the 5 speed was $500. I'm now triple that in repairs (although the tcase and front axle were just collateral damage)

I know hindsight is 20/20, but gawd damn. I might try to sell the auto and install a 5-speed next spring. Too fuggin cold to do anything now. (unheated garage full of crap, work is performed in the driveway) I do prefer the auto on the rocks though.

Unread 12-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #666
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I would love me a 5 speed Behind the 4.0 but alas it's just a fantasy right now - besides around here they go for around 1400 used

Unread 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #667
narnwv

2000 WJ 

damn. that's rough.

My dad has a 2002 Dakota with the 4.7, and I thought about fixing the auto up for him, and taking his 5 speed. HA!

Unread 12-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #668
narnwv

2000 WJ 

So the zip-tied harness seems to be doing well. At least I've found the general area to open up and start looking/fixing. Gonna look into that this weekend, since it will be 55-60 degrees (as opposed to the 30 degrees that it is now) That, and I'm cleaning the garage out to try to fit the Jeep in for stuff like this. (I'm off work until January 2nd. )

I may still look at throwing a 5 speed in there. (Wish I would have from the start of this mess now)

I believe my loose center pin in the rear diff is causing the bucking that I get when taking tight turns and hitting a bump. I think I'm going to grab an Aussie to remedy that, since it will come with a new center pin.

Since I believe I have the trans issues worked out, I'm going to mount my IRO skid that I've had since early July. It was going to be put on the night my house got flooded. I finally cleaned it up and threw some primer on it. I'm hoping to throw some actual paint on it Friday night.

The Christmas bonus was fantastic, but the family got a lot of crap taken care of out of it. I'm going to grab a rear locker and some new control arms in the next few days.

Unread 12-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #669
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
So the zip-tied harness seems to be doing well. At least I've found the general area to open up and start looking/fixing. Gonna look into that this weekend, since it will be 55-60 degrees (as opposed to the 30 degrees that it is now) That, and I'm cleaning the garage out to try to fit the Jeep in for stuff like this. (I'm off work until January 2nd. )

I may still look at throwing a 5 speed in there. (Wish I would have from the start of this mess now)

I believe my loose center pin in the rear diff is causing the bucking that I get when taking tight turns and hitting a bump. I think I'm going to grab an Aussie to remedy that, since it will come with a new center pin.

Since I believe I have the trans issues worked out, I'm going to mount my IRO skid that I've had since early July. It was going to be put on the night my house got flooded. I finally cleaned it up and threw some primer on it. I'm hoping to throw some actual paint on it Friday night.

The Christmas bonus was fantastic, but the family got a lot of crap taken care of out of it. I'm going to grab a rear locker and some new control arms in the next few days.
OX for your dana44?

Unread 12-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #670
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
OX for your dana44?

I was going to go Aussie. I didn't think there were any selectable lockers for the D44a ?

Unread 01-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #671
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
I was going to go Aussie. I didn't think there were any selectable lockers for the D44a ?
my bad - I guess they dont ... axle upgrade?
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #672
narnwv

2000 WJ 

hopefully sometime, yes. I ordered a Spartan from Amazon, and got the wrong one. (the one for the regular 44, not the 44HD) It even said in bold letters on the box "NOT FOR 44HD!"

Sent it back, just got my refund today, and I'll be ordering the proper (more expensive) one this weekend.

Unread 01-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #673
narnwv

2000 WJ 

HUGE thanks to PhantomWJ for the hookup on an Aussie.

Anyone know the best place to buy a center pin and bolt? Randy's ring and pinion says for "C-clip axles"

Unread 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #674
narnwv

2000 WJ 

on a lighter note, the ~8" of snow we've got the past few days has helped pinpoint the remaining jerking to the rear axle. A combination of the snow making the world quieter, especially by sliencing my M/T tires, and feeling some slippage--both in Full-Time and when trying real hard in Part-Time.

I'm also trying to find the centering ball for the double-cardan joint in the front driveshaft. Any ideas there?

Unread 01-26-2014, 02:30 AM   #675
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
on a lighter note, the ~8" of snow we've got the past few days has helped pinpoint the remaining jerking to the rear axle. A combination of the snow making the world quieter, especially by sliencing my M/T tires, and feeling some slippage--both in Full-Time and when trying real hard in Part-Time.

I'm also trying to find the centering ball for the double-cardan joint in the front driveshaft. Any ideas there?
Get it rebuilt and rebalanced...
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.