NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #616
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Changed the fluid and filters yesterday. Finally got to test it today after putting my new unit bearings on and going for a drive.

It still does it.

I had a wild hair that it might be something floating around in the rear end, so I pulled the cover off. I don't see any abnormalities, but I don't have the wheels off the ground yet to rotate the gears either. Tomorrow evening I'll do that.

This is frustrating.

Pics in next post.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #617
Justin_WJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
oh, and I found this semi-hilarious video on how to change the fluid in the 545rfe:

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWO_DCjd0ck
I laughed so hard. .....

Aaron you may want to try another TCM, it may be a computer issue. If the computer is telling the tranny to shift at the wrong time, there's your problem....I have one ill give you if you want it. It's for a 2000 V8...ours is the same I believe. I got a flashed TCM from the junkyard and I'm not using the unflashed one anymore
2000 WJ Limited, 4inch RC X, 242 T-case swap, 33x12.50 STT's, 15x8 D window wheels with 3.75 BS, JKS ADJ. Tracbar, T-case armor, Custom front winch bumper, Smittybilt XRC 8, 4.56's Extended Rola Rack w/Harbor Freight 6" lights, and always muddy :)
Justin_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #618
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_WJ View Post
I laughed so hard. .....

Aaron you may want to try another TCM, it may be a computer issue. If the computer is telling the tranny to shift at the wrong time, there's your problem....I have one ill give you if you want it. It's for a 2000 V8...ours is the same I believe. I got a flashed TCM from the junkyard and I'm not using the unflashed one anymore
X2 on the tcm, esp if its cheap or free. A bad tcm may not send a code to your pcm telling it theres somthing wrong. And most your other options are exhausted.
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #619
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
I laughed so hard. .....

unflashed as it no 2nd overdrive? I'll take it!

When can I come get it?

Unread 06-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #620
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Just throwing some pics out from last weekend's maintenance.

Nasty oily, muddy trans pan:

One of the trans fluid lines:

Broken ground: (been broken since I got the Jeep, it's on the todo list)

Need an 8mm socket to get the pan off:

This makes it much quicker:

The "blood" coming out. HO LEE CRAP it stunk. Smelled kind of burnt, but was red.

Found some RTV on the screw in filter. I assume there's been some floating around in there as well, although I've put 90,000 on it and not serviced it.

The guy at the trans shop told me to look for a missing screw in the sump filter. Unfortunately (to my diagnosis) it was still there:

A drain pan larger than this, and there would have been zero mess. Also, my 5 year old's 26-year old Bigfoot in the background. It was mine when I was his age. New batteries and motors, and it runs great.

See, if the pan was bigger......

Wife distracting me

Nothing worrying on the magnet in the bottom of the pan:

Also, I finally slapped the new unit bearings on. I've only had them for 5 months.

Was able to use the brand new hub bolts I bought 18+ months ago after the last time I had to replace a hub. I snapped one of the bolts and had to pay a junk yard $10 for ONE. I grabbed these at the dealer for ~$6 each a couple days later. I've been itching to use them.

Break time:

Man there was some crud in there:

New jack stands I got for free with my Autozone rewards:

Unread 06-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #621
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I also changed the tcase fluid at this time, but no pics.

I changed the rear diff fliud too. What do you guys think of this? I don't know if the center pin should move like that or not.

Unread 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #622
Justin_WJ
2000 WJ 

That TCM work for ya?
2000 WJ Limited, 4inch RC X, 242 T-case swap, 33x12.50 STT's, 15x8 D window wheels with 3.75 BS, JKS ADJ. Tracbar, T-case armor, Custom front winch bumper, Smittybilt XRC 8, 4.56's Extended Rola Rack w/Harbor Freight 6" lights, and always muddy :)
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #623
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
That TCM work for ya?
I put it in. Seems to shift okay, but the slamming is still there. (Now fully believe that it's the loose center pin + spider gears in the rear diff.

I haven't driven it enough to tell, but plan to drive it some tonight. I'm doing a coolant flush on it.

Unread 07-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #624
Justin_WJ
2000 WJ 

Might as well get a spartan locker for the rear...it comes with a new hardened cross pin
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #625
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Might as well get a spartan locker for the rear...it comes with a new hardened cross pin
For now, we're going to just weld the spiders to get me through the two rides this weekend. Shouldn't be a huge deal, since I've only driven it 50ish miles in the last 3 months.

I've been looking at JK Dana 44 axles to build

Unread 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #626
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:

For now, we're going to just weld the spiders to get me through the two rides this weekend. Shouldn't be a huge deal, since I've only driven it 50ish miles in the last 3 months.

I've been looking at JK Dana 44 axles to build
Just be ginger on the throttle - hate for it to go boom on the trail
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #627
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Got this in today:

Thanks TJSWJ!

Unread 07-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #628
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Had a little setback today.
1373604340548.jpg  

Unread 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #629
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Had a little setback today.
OMG - little rain huh? Everyone/thing ok?
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #630
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Ehh. It's a big fuggin mess. At least my iro skid plate didn't float away like everything else.

Typing on phones sucks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.