NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #586
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

They all use the same actual bearings. "National" brand from China. Get whatever's cheapest and be prepared for warranty claims.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #587
Justin_WJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
They all use the same actual bearings. "National" brand from China. Get whatever's cheapest and be prepared for warranty claims.
Exactly, I buy mine from advance auto and they have a 1 year no questions asked warranty. With 3.75 backspaced wheels I have to replace them every year or so. It works out good. I get two years worth of bearings for the price of one
2000 WJ Limited, 4inch RC X, 242 T-case swap, 33x12.50 STT's, 15x8 D window wheels with 3.75 BS, JKS ADJ. Tracbar, T-case armor, Custom front winch bumper, Smittybilt XRC 8, 4.56's Extended Rola Rack w/Harbor Freight 6" lights, and always muddy :)
Justin_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #588
wj4play
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
I think TRW and other oem use china stuff but crown and moog use better quality parts
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #589
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I bought the GMB. $37.xx each from Amazon with free 2-day shipping (Amazon Prime) I already have brand new hub bolts that I bought at the dealer more than a year ago when I did this last time. They've been waiting in the tool box for the bearings to fail.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #590
SKI_VT
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
I still need to grab some bolts for the front of the large side pieces, so I can straighten those up. I'm also going to have to pick up longer bolts for the brackets before anyone tugs on it. We used the existing hitch bolts, which didn't engage enough threads into the frame-welded nuts for my liking.

I really like how the side pieces are separate from the bumper itself, that way if I land on one, the whole setup doesn't get damaged. :bigthumb:

Looks good!
i have the same one too and its awesome but heavy

anyways, how'd you get the tire to tilt up? mine is just a vertical hookup to the swing arm.

and do you have any sag on that swing arm? my tends to sag when i open it up and i have to lift it up to look the swing arm.
Which causes the locking mechanism to get Really tough to close.

im wondering if mine was just F'd up by the PO lol
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #591
narnwv

2000 WJ 

the tilt= the bottom part of the tire bracket is bent slightly, but that would make it tilt down. Maybe the original owner changed it. This weekend, I have to take it off and put different lug nuts on it (current ones don't fit in the factory wheel wrench). I'll snap a picture of it so you can see how it's made/angled.

Unread 03-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #592
narnwv

2000 WJ 

also--no sag in the arm whatsoever. How tight is your bottom bolt? (the one that goes up through the inside of the bumper)

My lock is tough, but that only happened after I tightened it.

It's possible our locking mechanisms and swing arm-mounts are slightly different. (since the bumpers are made to order)

I've had the cash in my Jeep Fund account to pickup their front bumper for a while now. I need to go ahead and pull the trigger, but I've been spending cash on needed parts. I'm replacing all the worn parts on the outside of my front axle. (bushings, hubs, u-joints on the front DS) I should go ahead and order the bumper, so in a couple weeks I can get my sliders and tcase skid.

Unread 03-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #593
SKI_VT
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
also--no sag in the arm whatsoever. How tight is your bottom bolt? (the one that goes up through the inside of the bumper)

My lock is tough, but that only happened after I tightened it.

It's possible our locking mechanisms and swing arm-mounts are slightly different. (since the bumpers are made to order)
Ill get pics tomorrow of my setup,
My tire actually leans out instead of back like yours!
And I'm gonna try and tighten the crap out of the bottom one this weekend, although I do remember having it pretty tight already

Also is it just me or are your fenders really low and not tight to the body? Mine is pretty well aligned with the body lines
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #594
narnwv

2000 WJ 

SKI_VT--if your tire leans out, either the arm is way off, or the upper part of the tire mount needs shortened/re-bent. I meant to get pictures of mine for you this weekend, but worked on the Tracker all day (60 degrees), and it snowed all day today (34 degrees). And, yes, my fenders are really low. I think my Jeep was rear-ended at some point in it's life. It was <40 degrees when we put it on (after the last meet n greet), so we didn't tweak at all. When it gets warmer, I'm going to pull them off, bedliner underneath them (on the gold), and realign them. I also need to wire up the licence plate light, but have been putting that off by not driving the Jeep at night.

I dipped into my armor fund Saturday morning and bought a new air compressor. I had to tear down the Tracker that I'm going to DD again. Apparently the reason it's had no power since the second timing set was put on is that all aftermarket companies paint the links backwards from what the manual says on the bottom chain. It runs great now (air compressor made the job way quicker), and a buddy helped me weld new rockers on it (rusted out, lost some pieces on the interstate on the way to his house). Once it has the brake proportioning valve replaced, it will be road-worthy enough for me to DD and save $3-400+ a month in fuel costs. I put a $65-70 per tank fill up in the Jeep every 2 1/2 days, 3 days tops.

Back on topic, I have new unit bearings, axle-side upper control arm bushings, and 4x ball joints waiting to go on. I planned on doing it today, but it snowed. Maybe one evening this week. That's why I'm anxious to get it off the street, so I can wrench on it without being rushed to get it done before I need it to drive to work.

Unread 03-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #595
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Still haven't put on the mountain of parts I have here for the WJ.

On a lighter note-- I'm moving! We're moving into a MUCH larger house, with a 1-door, 2-car garage that the Jeep can fit in! (The garage I use now is ~5 miles away at my parent's house, and the Jeep is too big to fit in it)

Unread 03-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #596
wj4play
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Still haven't put on the mountain of parts I have here for the WJ.

On a lighter note-- I'm moving! We're moving into a MUCH larger house, with a 1-door, 2-car garage that the Jeep can fit in! (The garage I use now is ~5 miles away at my parent's house, and the Jeep is too big to fit in it)
Congrats on the house

Sent from iPhone
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #597
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Test fitting the WJ today before we start moving in. Looks like I'll have about 12" of clearance to allow the Jeep to grow, since it didn't knock down my cellular phone booster antenna there on the right rear of the WJs roof.

forumrunner_20130403_220331.jpg

Sent from the ISS using laser beams.

Unread 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #598
wj4play
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Test fitting the WJ today before we start moving in. Looks like I'll have about 12" of clearance to allow the Jeep to grow, since it didn't knock down my cellular phone booster antenna there on the right rear of the WJs roof.

Sent from the ISS using laser beams.
Double deep?

Sent from iPhone
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #599
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Double deep?

Sent from iPhone
nah. I thought it was a 2 car garage. 2 could squeeze in there, but it'd be tight. I guess it's a 1 1/2 car garage. Still, no complaints. Room for all my tools, tool boxes, some storage, and a place to work on the Heep.

It's longer than it is wide. I could easily fit my 4 wheeler in front of the Jeep, with room to spare.

The plan will be to park the Jeep and my Tracker outside, and let the wife keep her Mazda inside, until something needs worked on.

As soon as we move in, the Jeep takes precedence in the garage, so I can put the mountain of parts on it I've had laying in the back of it for some time now. (hubs, bushings, etc...)

Unread 04-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #600
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Block garage - nice. That will help keep the garage fairly comfortable in the extreme weather!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.