NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #556
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
@narnwv

I PM'd ya about the 242 shifter assy. There going up shortly.
PM'd ya back (I'm sure you know)

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #557
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_WJ View Post
Exactly how do you get the little plastic piece over the shifter knobs? Lol
You don't. Cant be done. Have to take the knobs off.

The long story. I just explained it to someone that bought a bezel from me. From the start. You may already know how to remove the center console, so if you do ignore that part.

Console out.
2 screws under the rubber piece under the ash tray.
2 screws under the cup holder.
2 screws in the box under the arm rest.
Pull the box out .
2 screws inside the center console under the box at the back each corner.
Console will come out.

Ways to remove bezel. All ways require removing the knobs.

You have to pop off both shifter knobs.
**BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE GEAR SELECTOR KNOB**. There are two wires running up into it for the OD button. There is no play in the wires to pull the knobs off, they will break. Follow the wires from the connector up the the arm for the gear selector and undo it from the points securing it to the arm. This will give you slack when you pop up the knob.

The will pull off with a real good tug (Watch you head on the roof).

My preferred method is to use a really big crescent wrench or wrench. I have a 1 5/8" one that is over 18" long. I put a rag over the open end and put it around the base of the trans selector (in 1st) and the handle on top of the 4x4 selector (in 4lo). The leverage will pop off the trans selector pretty easy with a good smack on the end of the wrench with my hand.

Do the same with the 4x4 selector and put the handle on the trans shifter shaft. Then a good smack. Both knobs are off now.

Unclip the bezel from both sides. Will slip over 4x4 shaft .

At this point you have a couple choices.

You can cut the 2 wires to the OD. Slide the bezel off and put new one on and splice the wires back together. Put the console back in and your done.

Next choice disassemble it.
Figure out how to get the pins out of the connector. Remove wires from the Slide the bezel off and put new one on.

Next choice disassemble it.

Remove the light strip

The light strip just slides over 2 pins on a little elect box. Untuck the strip from under the plastic at the front. Lift it out towards the back and then slide it of the transformer or what ever that little power box is. Set aside.

Remove light pwr box.

This box will need to come out as it is part of the harness and cant be unplugged. There are two little tabs holding it in in top. These are a pain in the a$$. I found that a sharp screw drive pushed across the tabs and remove them makes it easy to get it out. Wont effect it staying in place when you put it in. Remove box. and unattach the harness from the frame

Harness connector.

Either pop it off the metal bracket or slide it off the plastic bracket.

Wiring harness to OD should be loose already.

If you have the type shifter with the solenoid in the front that will have to be taken loose and take the bracket that the bezel clips to off.
It is held on by 2 clips in the back and sorta hinged in the front. Gently pry the clips loose and the lift by the back and the front will slip off.

Remove the wiring harness on the gear selector and light strip.

Feed the harness and shifter blinds out the old bezel.

Reassemble in reverse.

And your done.

I would just figure how to get the wires out of the connector or splice the OD wires and be done with it.

Think thats it. Good luck if you decide to accept this mission.

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #558
narnwv

2000 WJ 

^^ I'm adding that to the FAQ thread.

Unread 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #559
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping

Think that it. Good luck if you decide to accept this mission.
Is my phone going to blow up now???

Nice write up I have often wondered myself even just to clean out the years of food build up
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #560
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
^^ I'm adding that to the FAQ thread.
Maybe I'll do some pics since I have 4 of the little buggers sitting in front of me. I also have a dozen or more of the good blinds/slats sitting in a box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Is my phone going to blow up now???

Nice write up I have often wondered myself even just to clean out the years of food build up
Just to clean them you would only need to remove the console and unclip the bezel. There is enough room to clean the blinds/slats without removing the knobs. Although taking the 4x4 knob off will make it easier.

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #561
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Maybe you'd like how to remove the whole shifter assy too.

Kinda time consuming either way.

Either way the center console has to come out.

2 screws under the rubber piece under the ash tray.

2 screws under the cup holder.

2 screws in the box under the arm rest.

Pull the box out

5 screws inside the center console under the box at the back each corners and 3 at the front.

Console will come out.

Removing the whole shifter assy.

If you do the whole thing.

Remove Trans gear select cable

Remove 8mm screw from side of trans gear selector cable facing the passenger side. remove cable.

Remove middle cable from shifter.

Pops off arm at shifter.

Remove cable from 4x4 selector. Pops off with a small screwdriver between the cable and shifter.

Remove metal bracket at front of shifter. Think 4 nuts. (I'LL GET THE SIZE TOMORROW WHILE I'M AT THE JY)

Remove the 4x4 select cable.

Use screwdriver to pop off cable retaining clip at front of shifter base. Slip retainer off base.

Remove other 2 cables from base.

The other two cables you have to press the sides of the retainer and push them through the bracket.

Remove 4 nuts from shifter base. (I'LL GET THE SIZE TOMORROW WHILE I'M AT THE JY)

Remove the harness assy.

Disconnect harness from back of base.

Pry 2 clips that hold the harness on the drivers side of shifter base.

Shifter should come out.

Reassemble in reverse.

Whoo hooo!!! your done.

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #562
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Not to high jack ops thread - I have removed the console but those pesky shifter window slides always get sticky with pop

To the OP how did the new injectors work out?
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #563
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Not to high jack ops thread - I have removed the console but those pesky shifter window slides always get sticky with pop

To the OP how did the new injectors work out?
good. idle is smooth, runs good. better fuel mileage.

Unread 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #564
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I'm trying to find a rear bumper+tire carrier. I'm getting paid for the replacement of my OEM one, and hoping to upgrade this one.

This here is the winner so far.

http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/rear_wj.html

Unread 02-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #565
narnwv

2000 WJ 

what do you guys know about Hondas? I'm looking at a 2006 Accord EX 4-cylinder. 160k, the right price, seems to be in good shape. (haven't driven it yet, just inspected what I could)

Don't worry, not selling the Jeep. Just trying to remove it from DD duty.

Unread 02-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #566
Justin_WJ
2000 WJ 

Treat it right and it will treat you right. Hondas last forever....the older ones atleast
2000 WJ Limited, 4inch RC X, 242 T-case swap, 33x12.50 STT's, 15x8 D window wheels with 3.75 BS, JKS ADJ. Tracbar, T-case armor, Custom front winch bumper, Smittybilt XRC 8, 4.56's Extended Rola Rack w/Harbor Freight 6" lights, and always muddy :)
Justin_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #567
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

They make great refrigerators.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #568
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Ended up picking this up:

Sporty as heck, drives like a go-cart (compared to the two RWD/4x4s we drive now).

2002 Mazda Protege5, 130HP, 34mpg, FWD, auto-stick trans, 5-door hatchback. All new brakes (rotors and pads), new tires

Snatched it up for $6500 cash.

I've already found a wealth of info in some Mazda forums for it. It already drives like it's on rails, but I'm sure there will be some upgrades. (wish I had $5k to drop on a 450HP engine upgrade for it)

I wish I was the one who was going to drive it every day. Oh well, now I get to DD the Tracker after it gets some TLC, which is going to give the WJ an easier life, and free up tons of money for Jeep mods!

Back on topic:

I'm considering taking the insurance check I got and getting a front winch bumper instead of a rear bumper. What do you guys think? I think the front one would be more practical right now.

Unread 02-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #569
Justin_WJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
Ended up picking this up:

Sporty as heck, drives like a go-cart (compared to the two RWD/4x4s we drive now).

2002 Mazda Protege5, 130HP, 34mpg, FWD, auto-stick trans, 5-door hatchback. All new brakes (rotors and pads), new tires

Snatched it up for $6500 cash.

I've already found a wealth of info in some Mazda forums for it. It already drives like it's on rails, but I'm sure there will be some upgrades. (wish I had $5k to drop on a 450HP engine upgrade for it)

I wish I was the one who was going to drive it every day. Oh well, now I get to DD the Tracker after it gets some TLC, which is going to give the WJ an easier life, and free up tons of money for Jeep mods!

Back on topic:

I'm considering taking the insurance check I got and getting a front winch bumper instead of a rear bumper. What do you guys think? I think the front one would be more practical right now.
Nice!!!! I've been around the Mazda forums for a while. Had a speed 6 for a while and a boosted probe with a klze. Love those man. Amazing cars
2000 WJ Limited, 4inch RC X, 242 T-case swap, 33x12.50 STT's, 15x8 D window wheels with 3.75 BS, JKS ADJ. Tracbar, T-case armor, Custom front winch bumper, Smittybilt XRC 8, 4.56's Extended Rola Rack w/Harbor Freight 6" lights, and always muddy :)
Justin_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #570
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Well, looks like I'm driving to Indianapolis tomorrow to pick this up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/...rrier-1481974/

Will be ordering the front bumper from the company that made this one (custom4x4fab) this week or the next. Sliders are already in the budget for March, so all that's left is a tcase skid and I should be pretty armored up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.