NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #526
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Going to try to replace front unit bearings as soon as it's warmer out. It was 70 today, supposed to be 31 this weekend. It gets dark within 30 minutes of being home, and the garage is full of crap and not heated. Whilst I love the snow, I'm ready for spring. Both the Jeep and the Tracker need some TLC (and upgrades)

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #527
narnwv

2000 WJ 

It's freezing cold, and still snowing here. Yesterday my hatch about gave me a concussion while I was unloading a giant laser printer (the box says "team lift") by myself. My hatch stays up in the summer, but not in the cold. Just ordered all 4 lift struts for the hatch+glass from Advance with their 20% off discount. Gotta go pick those up and slap 'em on. In the snow.

Wasn't it 70 degrees, like 4 days ago? Oh yea, this is WV.

Unread 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #528
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Changed the oil this evening. Discovered that my trackbar jam nut was loose. (1/4" out) Tightened that up. No wonder she about hopped into the other lane when i hit a pothole on the interstate that about swallowed my 32" tire earlier today.

I wonder if this will help my transfer case issue. Since it snowed, I've been running in 4wd Full Time, but it binds hard when trying to make sharper turns. I assumed it needed adjusted, or the shift forks were jacked, because with a little left-right-left-right jerks of the wheel, it'd be okay in Full Time. We'll see.

I think I'm going to postpone doing the hubs for now and try to find an affordable Vari-Lock axle to clean up and build a bit. I want some sort of traction increase in the front, and a Vari-Lock complete axle swap sounds easier than a JK axle.

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #529
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
Changed the oil this evening. Discovered that my trackbar jam nut was loose. (1/4" out) Tightened that up. No wonder she about hopped into the other lane when i hit a pothole on the interstate that about swallowed my 32" tire earlier today.

I wonder if this will help my transfer case issue. Since it snowed, I've been running in 4wd Full Time, but it binds hard when trying to make sharper turns. I assumed it needed adjusted, or the shift forks were jacked, because with a little left-right-left-right jerks of the wheel, it'd be okay in Full Time. We'll see.

I think I'm going to postpone doing the hubs for now and try to find an affordable Vari-Lock axle to clean up and build a bit. I want some sort of traction increase in the front, and a Vari-Lock complete axle swap sounds easier than a JK axle.
Go OX locker In front

Selectable locker and new gears in your current dana30 would be same cost vs used varilock front 30 with rebuild IMO around here front dana30 used go for 900+

TRUETRAC in rear with gears or a over stuffed d44 rear (extra plates in limited slip)
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #530
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Go OX locker In front

Selectable locker and new gears in your current dana30 would be same cost vs used varilock front 30 with rebuild IMO around here front dana30 used go for 900+
Holy Crap! I can get a D30 w/Vari-Lock and a warranty for $300-ish (depends on miles, and which yard--within 200 miles)

I'd love a selectable locker, but if I'm going to lock the front, then I need u-joint half shafts. If I'm going to pull the gears out, I need shorter gears. Add those, and you're talking the cost of a used JK Rubi D44 for the front--4.10 gear, electric locker, u-joint half shafts.

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #531
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, I've never seen a D30 VariLok for more than $500 as a complete assembly. Well, I can go on car-part.com and find a ton of massively overpriced ones, but getting one <$500 is no trouble around here.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #532
narnwv

2000 WJ 

car-part.com is where I'm finding them within 200 miles for about $300ish.

In other news, an old man drug his f150 across the corner of my rear bumper. Hopefully they'll give me a check and I can get a metal, tire-carrier bumper (either bought or built).

Unread 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #533
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
Yeah, I've never seen a D30 VariLok for more than $500 as a complete assembly. Well, I can go on car-part.com and find a ton of massively overpriced ones, but getting one <$500 is no trouble around here.
All the yards around here are way overpriced - I was looking for a jk dana30 and they wanted 1200 - wasn't the 44 (rubicon) either

That's when I asked about a wj D30 for comparison - he said 900-1000

That was consistent with 3 salvage yards.

A lot of times yard items here are close to the parts store prices on newer year of stuff

I got my d44 varilock from smunns in Lincoln Nebraska for $150 - I'm in dsm Iowa so basically spent a Saturday picking it up
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #534
narnwv

2000 WJ 

There's a place in Ohio, about 3 hours from here Called Davey's Jeeps. Basically, he parts out wrecked Jeeps, and that's it. He regularly sells a pair of JK Rubi axles for $2k or less. (they go quick)

http://www.daveysjeeps.com/specials.html

Unread 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #535
narnwv

2000 WJ 

In other news, I finally picked up a "large vehicle" coolant over flow tank from Autozone to finally have wiper fluid again (after 2+ years). Dug the pumps out of the WJ's washer fluid tank (that's been hanging in the garage) to get started. Hopefully I'll have this done tomorrow. The tank came with a mounting bracket.

It's essentially this:

I'm hoping I can hook up a second one, using the drains at the bottom for the connection, and have a bigger tank. Having the connection at the bottom like that will allow the two tanks to remain level with each other.

Unread 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #536
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Holy Crap! I can get a D30 w/Vari-Lock and a warranty for $300-ish (depends on miles, and which yard--within 200 miles)

I'd love a selectable locker, but if I'm going to lock the front, then I need u-joint half shafts. If I'm going to pull the gears out, I need shorter gears. Add those, and you're talking the cost of a used JK Rubi D44 for the front--4.10 gear, electric locker, u-joint half shafts.
Why would you need U joint shafts for a locker?
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #537
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Why would you need U joint shafts for a locker?
too afraid to rip apart the CVs

Unread 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #538
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Actually if you do a 30spline then stay with cv RCV to be exact. Saw that IRO had sum chromo u joint shafts for 800 I think..

Off topic cuz I kno your a computer guy look what I received last Saturday

Did a iPhone 4S dump already

image-2361120546.jpg
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #539
narnwv

2000 WJ 

very cool. Radio shack uses those. I had them dump pictures from a customer's dead flip phone. She was very grateful. Pretty neat little tool.

Unread 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #540
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
very cool. Radio shack uses those. I had them dump pictures from a customer's dead flip phone. She was very grateful. Pretty neat little tool.
Cellebrite UFED touch ultimate forensic examiner - different from what radio shack uses

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.