NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I'm currently trying to decide between these two lifts:

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_wj_4x.html

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=68&gr=-1

The first one comes with adjustable front LCAs, the second comes with fixed.

Whatever one I choose, I'll probably go ahead and grab adjustable upper control arms for the front, eventually grabbing adjustable rear LCAs.

This rear UCA will be going on regardless, as I'm tired of jacking up the rubber bushings, and tearing up the ball joint that sits on top of my rear diff.

IRO UPPER A ARM

That IRO piece comes angled at the body side, and has the flex-joint and plate that mounts to the top of the rear diff, instead of the ball joint mess that's there now--which requires a spacer under the ball-joint. (doesn't seem stout enough to me)

I'm also trying to source the best price on a front drive shaft, as that'll need replaced when the lift is put on.

I'm waiting to hear back about some AJ's sliders, and finding a few backups in case he doesn't come through when I'm ready to order.

I'm hoping to also grab a lunchbox locker for the rear soon.

Thoughts?

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Get the first one. BTW with the 2in bb did you notice much height or not really and how did it come with 265/70 with a stock height thats weird and no rubbing.
MStaffin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGrandCheroke View Post
Get the first one. BTW with the 2in bb did you notice much height or not really and how did it come with 265/70 with a stock height thats weird and no rubbing.
What makes you say pick the Rough Country one?

I did notice a pretty good difference getting in and out of the Jeep. My wife did too. (I'm only 5'6", she's 5'9" with long legs)

I'm pretty sure it was the street tread tires that made it possible.

Unread 02-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #19
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

I just installed a rcx on my buddies wrangler and it seems nice. The system we heard works good and for 50 dollars more its not that big of and xpense. Im sure there is guys who have it here and well say they love or hate it but at that point its what you like.
MStaffin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Actually did this yesterday when it was nicer out. Shows what happens when you're bored and have air tools.....

I took my trusty air-cutter and separated the bumper from the grill. This will make it easier to build/buy a winch-mount bumper.

I plan to paint the remaining grill black, possibly with some bed-liner stuff, and put some mesh grill inside the throats to get rid of the broken black plastic that's there now.

Before:

During:

After:

While it was apart, and I needed to remount the lights, I rewired them to their own switch instead of the factory driving lights switch so that I can have them on while using my high beams.

Unread 02-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #21
narnwv

2000 WJ 

The grill is still a pretty rough around the bottom edge where the bumper was cut off, but I'm going to sand and trim that up when I paint it.

Unread 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Well, today I moved my amp from the back of my sub box to under the rear seat so that I can just disconnect the two speaker wires and remove the box if I need the extra room, instead of disconnecting everything on the amp.

I also mounted my 3-watt cell-signal booster under the other rear seat, and mounted the interior repeater antenna up on the dash. This way my phone and data card will get better service while moving, and everyone in the Jeep will get better service off-road (or whenever they're in there) My old phone allowed for my rooftop antenna to directly plug in, but the new phone does not, so I did some craigslist trading for the amp.

Unread 03-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #23
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Changed the fuel filter a couple of nights ago. The old one was NASTY! Here are some pics after it sat in the rain for a day or so:

Compare the inside to the outside:

Unread 03-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #24
narnwv

2000 WJ 

today I bedliner'd my grill piece and bumper, and finished breaking the plastic pieces and replaced them with gutter guard:

I can't decide if I want to paint the mesh black, gunmetal, or just clear coat it and leave it as is. It needs washed, as I literally took this off some gutter that's been lying beside the garage for a while.

Unread 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #25
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Hey, can I ask you a quick question about that ball joint again? I finally got around to installing my lift and when I put the A-arm spacer in I noticed the ball joint was very easy to move around (most ball joints I've seen are very stiff and difficult to move). I wasn't sure if this was normal or if mine is toast. Just curious to know how the play was with your new one when you bought it.
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #26
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JGC00 View Post
Hey, can I ask you a quick question about that ball joint again? I finally got around to installing my lift and when I put the A-arm spacer in I noticed the ball joint was very easy to move around (most ball joints I've seen are very stiff and difficult to move). I wasn't sure if this was normal or if mine is toast. Just curious to know how the play was with your new one when you bought it.
My old one flopped around like it was nothing. The new one I could barely man handle it around.

Unread 03-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #27
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
My old one flopped around like it was nothing. The new one I could barely man handle it around.
Yep. Same here. That's not good necessarily, but that might explain my stop-bump symptom. I'd much rather it be that than a binding drive shaft. Well thanks man! Looks like I'll be ordering a ball joint soon (one that comes with the plate).

BTW, have you decided what lift you're going to go with? The adjustable control arms is a big plus IMO.
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #28
narnwv

2000 WJ 

it certainly could explain it. It does keep the axle's pinion angle in check, and if too loose, would allow the pinion angle to move a bit when stopping/accelerating.

Unread 03-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #29
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

how hard was it to change the fuel filter?... i found a good one on quadratec and im thinking about changing mine

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #30
narnwv

2000 WJ 

It wasn't that hard at all. I did run into some issues with the release clip on the one metal connector, but I dug it out with a screw driver, and used one of these:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.