NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #226
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnolenwj View Post
I'm following you closely, our problems are so similar. My condenser is pretty awful looking too.
One of us is bound to come across the cure eventually.
I hear you man, this problem is very frustrating.
if your condensors fins are bent up then that would restrict airflow as well......

wj4play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #227
narnwv

2000 WJ 

For anyone who cares, here's the transmission "cooler" that's in the right side tank of the radiator. It eases my mind a bit about the transmission doing the warming, but tenses me up a bit about how well it cools the transmission.
2012-06-19_20-46-05_961.jpg   2012-06-19_20-56-40_222.jpg   2012-06-19_20-56-58_718.jpg   2012-06-19_20-57-14_492.jpg  

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #228
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
if your condensors fins are bent up then that would restrict airflow as well......
mine are bent up pretty badly, with tons of little rocks in them. All the black coating is coming off through the back of it too (looks like hair coming out)

Unread 06-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #229
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
mine are bent up pretty badly, with tons of little rocks in them. All the black coating is coming off through the back of it too (looks like hair coming out)
IF that is the case then it probably the source of your problems. That would explain why at high speeds you have a lack of cooling due to NO air flow.

If you can swing it, pull the condensor, then go for a test drive. You will moslikly have to go to a JY to pick up a used one to replace it and then a shop will have to re charge your system. Be careful not to loose the Oring seals on it.
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #230
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
IF that is the case then it probably the source of your problems. That would explain why at high speeds you have a lack of cooling due to NO air flow.

If you can swing it, pull the condensor, then go for a test drive. You will moslikly have to go to a JY to pick up a used one to replace it and then a shop will have to re charge your system. Be careful not to loose the Oring seals on it.
I'm going to order a new one. They're less than $60 on both Rock Auto and Amazon. It seriously looks like it's been to war. I'll get pictures later.

I'll put new o-rings in it, and I can vacuum and recharge the system myself.

DISCLAIMER: DON'T DO THIS! I'm not responsible for any advice you take from here.

I usually run a bit of propane in the system, since it has a lower boiling point. In my WJ I run 3-4oz of propane, 20-21oz of R134a. Makes it nice and frosty inside. My boss runs "ES......" I'll have to ask for the name, but it has an even lower boiling point than propane. He can start his truck (Ram 1500, 4.7) on a 90 degree day, and within 2 minutes have the entire 4 door cab below 60 degrees.

Unread 06-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #231
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
I'm going to order a new one. They're less than $60 on both Rock Auto and Amazon. It seriously looks like it's been to war. I'll get pictures later.

I'll put new o-rings in it, and I can vacuum and recharge the system myself.

DISCLAIMER: DON'T DO THIS! I'm not responsible for any advice you take from here.

I usually run a bit of propane in the system, since it has a lower boiling point. In my WJ I run 3-4oz of propane, 20-21oz of R134a. Makes it nice and frosty inside. My boss runs "ES......" I'll have to ask for the name, but it has an even lower boiling point than propane. He can start his truck (Ram 1500, 4.7) on a 90 degree day, and within 2 minutes have the entire 4 door cab below 60 degrees.
Propane huh... thats cool but how do you hook your gauges up to fill? my gauges only have 134a fittings and schrader valves?
Unread 06-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #232
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Propane huh... thats cool but how do you hook your gauges up to fill? my gauges only have 134a fittings and schrader valves?
A custom fitting that goes from a "camp" style tank to the center hose on the manifold gauges. There is usually a R134a adapter that goes there, and this fits in it's place.
2012-06-20_15-14-37_221.jpg   2012-06-20_15-15-40_95.jpg   2012-06-20_15-15-59_734.jpg  

Unread 06-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #233
narnwv

2000 WJ 

sorry for the giant pics, my cell phone is 8mp, and since it's encrypted, it's easier to upload directly from it.

Unread 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #234
narnwv

2000 WJ 

BTW, sitting in traffic today, my A/C all of a sudden got warm. I immediately looked at my gauges and saw 240 on the temp . Apparently my SPDT relay melted. It's rated for higher amperage than the other relay feeding it, and the fuse inline with the power. I temporarily pulled it out of the mix, but it made me realize how bad I need a failsafe for this setup. (maybe that's why the Ford Taurus' had parallel relays?)

Unread 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #235
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv

A custom fitting that goes from a "camp" style tank to the center hose on the manifold gauges. There is usually a R134a adapter that goes there, and this fits in it's place.
You can just buy a can of Duracool,its propane refrigerant,and it works well.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #236
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACNY View Post
You can just buy a can of Duracool,its propane refrigerant,and it works well.
Buddy, this is West Virginia. We do things as ghetto as possible here.

Unread 06-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #237
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Just ordered a new condenser. Hopefully this will solve my 55mph+ over temp issues. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

Not a bad price. Lifetime warranty. I bought through Amazon since they ALWAYS take care of their customers if there's an issue.

I'll get pictures of the factory one that's on there. It seriously looks like it's been to war.

Unread 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #238
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I hit this page http://www.jeepslimited.com/index.ph...=44&Itemid=140 to see if it had correct routing for using the aux trans cooler with the factory "cooler" in the radiator, and noticed that there are "air diverters" on the sides and bottom of his radiator Mine does NOT have those..... I'm sure that's contributing to the issue as well. Might need to fab something up.

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #239
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv

Buddy, this is West Virginia. We do things as ghetto as possible here.
Lmaooo,,
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #240
narnwv

2000 WJ 

figured I'd throw up a few pictures of the condenser. Honestly, these pics don't do it justice. It looks beautiful compared to real life, not to mention that the pics don't show how wavy the whole thing is.

Straight down, driver's side

Straight down, passenger side

Through the gap where the hood latch is

Through the grill, no idea what the blue ball-like thing is

Other side, through the grill

Both of these are looking through the gaps at the bottom of the bumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.