NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #211
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
that's what I'm trying to figure out. Knowing the over temp issues I've been having, some are suggesting head gasket, someone mentioned running lean. This morning I had the CEL pop up with this code, so I snapped a few cell phone pics for some input.

The plugs were put in less than 1000 miles ago.

unrelated: Typing all this on a tablet sucks.
Tablets do suck and can not replace a desktop, laptop or even maybe a netbook...my opinion.

At any rate, the code is cylinder 3 misfire....

When I had those issue it was after using Seafoam. The parts that came to mind were plugs, coil pack, injectors; or anything to do with combustion at the source. I later found out that my plugs were fouled, although not visible, because I replaced then and voila; codes gone. But prior to that I had pondered cleaning or replacing the injectors and or possible replacing the coil pack.

I didnt replace injector just threw some cleaner in there. I did remove the pack, cleaned the contact and seated them well, of course by this time I had the new plugs ready to go in.

Your code has to be issues with fuel or spark.

PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #212
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Tablets do suck and can not replace a desktop, laptop or even maybe a netbook...my opinion.

At any rate, the code is cylinder 3 misfire....

When I had those issue it was after using Seafoam. The parts that came to mind were plugs, coil pack, injectors; or anything to do with combustion at the source. I later found out that my plugs were fouled, although not visible, because I replaced then and voila; codes gone. But prior to that I had pondered cleaning or replacing the injectors and or possible replacing the coil pack.

I didnt replace injector just threw some cleaner in there. I did remove the pack, cleaned the contact and seated them well, of course by this time I had the new plugs ready to go in.

Your code has to be issues with fuel or spark.
I love my tablet (high quality Acer 10" tablet), but no, it's no replacement for anything else (yet). It's hard for anything really to compete with my 5 monitor setup at the house, and my 3 monitor setup at the office. (network engineer)

The code is for a cylinder 2 misfire....not 3, which is why I posted plug # 2 first.

No code as of right now, because I pulled the batter cables and replaced a terminal when I was working on it Saturday.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #213
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

looks like you have reached the 4000 mark....
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #214
narnwv

2000 WJ 

nice. I didn't even notice.

Unread 06-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #215
Cnolenwj

2000 WJ 

Quote:
cnolenwj--are you still getting warm after all the cooling system work?
Well, I ended up putting my old radiator back in because the other one leaked. I only drove the jeep to work one day, then ended up at the hospital for a few days for the birth of my son. So I haven't driven much.
It's running warmer than it should, but not by much. I also haven't gone on any long drives. I think the new water pump has helped some.
I suspects I still have a problem. Need to take her for a decent drive to know for sure. I'll also see about getting the other radiator fixed in the next week or so.

I do have fluctuation in oil pressure while driving, not sure its related or not though.
I'm thinking I might as well send in an oil sample in the near future too.

All in all with the new kid and work I'm limited on time at the moment and trying not to stress about the jeep. I need to get it fixed soon, last thing I need is to be stranded on the side of the road in 100+ temps with a baby.

Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...build-1195835/

North Texas Grands- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/...rands-1323367/

Grand Slam Texas- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...texas-1419143/

Grand Slam Texas Group- http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups...00000454207551
Cnolenwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #216
wj4play
1999 WJ 

What size tires u running ? Try turning OD off and see if it helps temps

Btw congrats on the new rug rat. Mine just turned 14 and the other is 8..... Take lots of pictures they grow up fast

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #217
Cnolenwj

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post

Btw congrats on the new rug rat. Mine just turned 14 and the other is 8..... Take lots of pictures they grow up fast

I'm running 265/75/17 tires. Dumb question, OD is off when light appears on dash right? Would it not cause me to run at higher rpms, thus more heat?

Thanks man! I'm allot more excited to be a dad than I ever thought I would be

Sorry narn, not trying to thread jack you

Unread 06-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #218
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post

I run 32" BFG M/Ts. My 2nd rug rat is almot 5 months old now Time flies when there's 2 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnolenwj View Post
I'm running 265/75/17 tires. Dumb question, OD is off when light appears on dash right? Would it not cause me to run at higher rpms, thus more heat?

Sorry narn, not trying to thread jack you
Yes, it's off when "OD OFF" appears in the tach.

Theoretically, higher RPMs means higher rate of fluid pumping through the cooler.

I really need to add an external cooler. I really need to add all kinds of crap to this thing.

EDIT: no worries on the thread jack. I'm more than happy to have a conversation in my build thread that will help more than just myself.

wj4play--any input on the spark plug condition?

Unread 06-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #219
wj4play
1999 WJ 

And lower gear ratios meaning motor won't have to push as hard- overdrive will create a lot of heat. But running 31 or 32 tires are not a big enough jump to matter

Unread 06-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #220
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Well I just took a 50-60 mile trip @ 60+mph in 90*F heat. O/D off most of the way seemed to help a very little bit. Turning it back on didn't make much of a difference, and even when O/D was off, a long hill climb and downshift to 2nd, the temp would climb again. (so in my eyes, it's not a water pump-flow issue)

When there were about 10 miles left in my trip on the freeway, I turned the A/C off and lowered the windows. It seems like the temp dipped pretty quickly after doing that, but not back to the bottom of the 210 mark until I stopped moving.

This is getting more and more frustrating.

Unread 06-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #221
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Another 30 mile trip this afternoon, and she creeped up in temp.

My condenser looks like hell (will get a picture later), and I was thinking about getting a 2004 condenser that has the trans cooler in it, then going to a 2004 radiator as well, to move the trans cooler out of the radiator. My thinking behind this is that of the 20" tall radiator, 12" of that is transcooler, only leaving 8" of radiator for engine cooling. Thoughts?

Unread 06-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #222
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

i have a cheapo trans cooler (ultra cool tube an fin), ultra cool, if you want it...pay shipping plus $1 and its yours...

when I added mine I actually got a tru -cool...i heard it was better than that one I had...
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #223
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
My thinking behind this is that of the 20" tall radiator, 12" of that is transcooler, only leaving 8" of radiator for engine cooling. Thoughts?
Nah, usually the trans cooler is just a small heat exchanger inside the end tank. It doesn't occupy the majority of the radiator. I guarantee we wouldn't have a 15-qt coolant capacity if the trans cooler dominated the radiator.

An external trans cooler would help take some load off the radiator though.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #224
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Nah, usually the trans cooler is just a small heat exchanger inside the end tank. It doesn't occupy the majority of the radiator. I guarantee we wouldn't have a 15-qt coolant capacity if the trans cooler dominated the radiator.

An external trans cooler would help take some load off the radiator though.
I'm going to sawzall the tanks off my old radiator to see tonight.

I might pick up an external cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
i have a cheapo trans cooler (ultra cool tube an fin), ultra cool, if you want it...pay shipping plus $1 and its yours...

when I added mine I actually got a tru -cool...i heard it was better than that one I had...
Appreciate it, but I think I'm going to try to pick up a plate type cooler.

Unread 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #225
Cnolenwj

2000 WJ 

I'm following you closely, our problems are so similar. My condenser is pretty awful looking too.
One of us is bound to come across the cure eventually.
I hear you man, this problem is very frustrating.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.