NarnWV's super slow build thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > NarnWV's super slow build thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #151
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Managed to leave the sunroof open on the Jeep last night

$300 camera-ruined. iPod touch-ruined. $100 bluetooth headset-ruined. In-dash touchscreen DVD unit-ruined. My day-ruined. At least the cup holders are cleaner than they've ever been. :/ I'm just glad I took my laptop and tablet out of there last night.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #152
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I think 36 psi might be a little high on those 32s too. Just thinking out loud on that one. Do you know the load rating (in lbs) and an estimate of your vehicle weight (loaded)? We can calculate your recommended pressure from there.
Not sure of the weight. I'm just under 200 lbs, and there's easily 2-300 lbs of other stuff in there. I carry two car seats, a tool box that weighs at least 50 lbs, a big rubbermaid type container with lots of network tools, supplies, etc... I keep my spare battery in the spare tire well, soon to be under the hood. Also in the spare tire well is a complete change of clothes, some other minor tools, like zip ties, and a 2' breaker bar, duct tape, etc... a pretty hefty first aid kit, and a very light subwoofer+box (might weigh 20 lbs, it's cheap)

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #153
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ok that just sucks! (The sunroof thing, not the weight thing).

As for the weight, if I take the curb weight plus 500 lbs of cargo/driver, add 15% margin of safety, and then apply the rating/max pressure of the BF-G KM1s...

We wind up with a recommended pressure of 28psi. Might ride a little smoother and be a little easier to handle with your compressor. Should get better treadwear too!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #154
narnwv

2000 WJ 

At least it was a warm day today to help air out the Jeep. (per suggestion from a car detailer)I'm going to blast the heat later tonight for a couple of hours and see what happens. The head unit came right on this afternoon, but there's some fog (moisture) spots towards the bottom of the screen. Hopefully that will dry out with time. I'm more concerned with the camera (that my wife loves) and my headset--driving today without it was very awkward when I had to use the phone.

I'll double check the tire pressure this evening. Gotta tow a tiller over to my mother-in-law's to make her a garden.

Unread 05-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #155
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Went this weekend to pickup a Taurus fan. Also scored a hitch bezel. 3 years with a factory hitch, and I finally have the bezel on there. I didn't realize until I got home that the fan was the single speed, not the dual speed fan. Sucks, but I think I'm going to slap this one on my Tracker to try to squeeze a few more HP out of it. Gotta get the 2 speed fan sooner than later, as I'm still dealing with heat issues.

Unread 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #156
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
Went this weekend to pickup a Taurus fan. Also scored a hitch bezel. 3 years with a factory hitch, and I finally have the bezel on there. I didn't realize until I got home that the fan was the single speed, not the dual speed fan. Sucks, but I think I'm going to slap this one on my Tracker to try to squeeze a few more HP out of it. Gotta get the 2 speed fan sooner than later, as I'm still dealing with heat issues.
Curious to see how that fan idea turns out.Are you gonna change the radiator as well,or just the fan upgrade?
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #157
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACNY View Post
Curious to see how that fan idea turns out.Are you gonna change the radiator as well,or just the fan upgrade?
Just the fan. I believe my issues are stemming from the shroud not fitting the CSV radiator properly.

Unread 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #158
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I'm going to be swapping out my factory e-fan and clutch fan in favor of a 2 speed Taurus fan as soon as it comes in. (4500 cfm on high)

I'm going to make a custom shroud for it to make sure it covers the whole radiator, with a good seal all around it.

I drew this little diagram to visualize what I'm planning on doing. The only thing I'm having a little trouble with is that the factory e-fan runs off a PWM relay (pulses 12v based on temp, not constant power). I had planned on connecting the high-speed side to the factory e-fan connector. (The orange wire in the diagram--which goes to the PWM relay) The reason I want to do that is that if there's not a completed circuit there, I get a CEL. (P0480/P0481)

I'm thinking I don't need a fan controller this way, and the toggle would allow it to operate on low speed (2500 cfm) anytime the ignition is on, and allow me to turn it off for water crossings. Then the high-speed side would be completely run/controlled by the vehicle's existing e-fan control.

Input?

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #159
narnwv

2000 WJ 

stopped to look at a WJ that was for sale. Took the opportunity to snap my first picture beside a stock one...

Unread 05-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #160
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Looks like I'm the new WJ moderator.

Unread 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #161
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Congrats!
Unread 05-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #162
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
At least it was a warm day today to help air out the Jeep. (per suggestion from a car detailer)I'm going to blast the heat later tonight for a couple of hours and see what happens. The head unit came right on this afternoon, but there's some fog (moisture) spots towards the bottom of the screen. Hopefully that will dry out with time. I'm more concerned with the camera (that my wife loves) and my headset--driving today without it was very awkward when I had to use the phone.

I'll double check the tire pressure this evening. Gotta tow a tiller over to my mother-in-law's to make her a garden.

Give your electronics a few days to dry...before they fry.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #163
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Give your electronics a few days to dry...before they fry.
Everything worked. Well, everything except the ipod touch, and I have a couple of those, so it's no big deal to me. (I get them free with broken screens and spend $10-20 fixing them)

Unread 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #164
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I've gotta say the Taurus fan kicks butt!

I put a thermostat on it so it would be automatic (read: wife friendly), and still have the switch feeding the thermostat. Last night after taking it on a drive to test the thermostat, when I got back home and turned it off, the fan continued to run (thermostat). There was a hot breeze not only at the sides of the Jeep, but also behind it! I couldn't believe how much heat was blowing on my legs all the way at the back of the Jeep. This will definitely help the el cheapo radiator last a little longer.

I still need to build a shroud for it, as it's only covering about 70% of the radiator, but it cools better than the factory setup did. My main reasoning for needing the shroud is so that it pulls from every inch of the A/C condenser. I can tell that A/C performance has decreased a bit, and I'm sure my pressures would be off if I checked them. I'm going to replace the condenser and drier in a couple weeks anyways, and it'd be nice for the fan shroud to be complete by then.

On a side note, my build thread has had over 1000 new views in the past 48 hours. What's up with that?!? Post up some comments/criticism/suggestions guys!

Unread 05-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #165
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Wher is a pic?
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.