My ZJ helped catch a wrong way driver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My ZJ helped catch a wrong way driver

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

My ZJ helped catch a wrong way driver

Was following a friend around midnight on the freeway when he noticed this guy zig zagging all over the road about a mile up, my friend then called me and asked if could see this guy. After noticing him I passed my friend and sped up to try to get a better look at this guy in an old Celica. It took me about a minute to get close enough to see this guy doing some insane stuff. Called 911 to report it because it was that bad. He's going between 80-100 for awhile, maybe more, darting left and right wildly. He then gets off the freeway and runs the red light nearly hitting a car and gets right back on the freeway up the ramp, all while I was trying to give my location to the highway patrol. After a few minutes of speeding up and slowing down, this guy does a U TURN right in front of me, all the while nearly hitting the concrete divider! He then was going the wrong way down a major interstate right down the hammer lane! I did not follow him of course.. Eventually the crazy mofo passes my friend who stayed back to let me catch up to this guy. Shortly after my friend called in to give a better description of the car and the operator said they had caught him. This car could have killed some people easily.

StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Was following a friend around midnight on the freeway when he noticed this guy zig zagging all over the road about a mile up, my friend then called me and asked if could see this guy. After noticing him I passed my friend and sped up to try to get a better look at this guy in an old Celica. It took me about a minute to get close enough to see this guy doing some insane stuff. Called 911 to report it because it was that bad. He's going between 80-100 for awhile, maybe more, darting left and right wildly. He then gets off the freeway and runs the red light nearly hitting a car and gets right back on the freeway up the ramp, all while I was trying to give my location to the highway patrol. After a few minutes of speeding up and slowing down, this guy does a U TURN right in front of me, all the while nearly hitting the concrete divider! He then was going the wrong way down a major interstate right down the hammer lane! Eventually the crazy mofo passes my friend who stayed back to let me chase this guy. Shortly after my friend called in to give a better description of the car and the operator said they had caught him. This car could have killed some people easily.
You could have also killed some people easily by chasing him. Or yourself.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

He also helped get the guy off the road sooner. Police arent the only ones who are allowed to make the streets safe. I think hes a responsible citizen.
joeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahpr View Post
You could have also killed some people easily by chasing him. Or yourself.
You're freakin kidding me right? Nobody was between me and this other guy and I stayed back hundreds of feet most of the time.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post

You're freakin kidding me right? Nobody was between me and this other guy and I stayed back hundreds of feet most of the time.
No, not kidding. Get a description of the vehicle and the direction it's traveling to the dispatcher and call it a night. It's wreckless to chase him at a similar speed that he's going.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyfish View Post
He also helped get the guy off the road sooner. Police arent the only ones who are allowed to make the streets safe. I think hes a responsible citizen.
Well legally speaking, they are actually. There's nothing responsible about chasing after someone at 100MPH.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
No, not kidding. Get a description of the vehicle and the direction it's traveling to the dispatcher and call it a night. It's wreckless to chase him at a similar speed that he's going.
Actually they asked me to keep him in sight and thats exactly what I did. I couldnt get a description as far away as he was until he stopped and made the u-turn.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Well legally speaking, they are actually. There's nothing responsible about chasing after someone at 100MPH.
I never hit 100.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #9
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

That's interesting. I'm a certified ETC, and it's against protocol to instruct someone to follow another vehicle like that, especially at such high speeds. Anyways, glad you came out ok, and that they caught him.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

Its actually legal to make citizens arrests if the other person is commiting a felony. Its frowned upon because people think random citizens dont have necessary judgment skills to fully do one, but legally you can. Hes alive and well, so clearly he can take care of himself. I see nothing wrong with what he did.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #11
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Its actually legal to make citizens arrests if the other person is commiting a felony. Its frowned upon because people think random citizens dont have necessary judgment skills to fully do one, but legally you can. Hes alive and well, so clearly he can take care of himself. I see nothing wrong with what he did.
Please cite a law that says that citizens arrests are legal. It's frowned upon because you can be slapped with kidnapping/imprisonment charges.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:38 AM   #12
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

It varies state to state, so do your own research. You have to have evidence to prove that the person is guilty just as a police officer does. Otherwise you could sue the officer just as you would sue a citizen. Nobody does them anymore, so its a bit unheard of and probably sketchy, but that doesnt mean your right is taken away.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
It varies state to state, so do your own research. You have to have evidence to prove that the person is guilty just as a police officer does. Otherwise you could sue the officer just as you would sue a citizen. Nobody does them anymore, so its a bit unheard of and probably sketchy, but that doesnt mean your right is taken away.
Making a citizens arrest is not a "right". Not sure where you're getting your information from, but I'd recommend brushing up on the law before you try something like that and end up in jail next to the guy you were trying to stop. The fact that those are legal is a common misconception. Unless you're a sworn officer, it's by no means legal to hold anyone against their will, even if they committed a crime.
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Straight from the Texas Department of Public Safety: "Article 14.01 of the Code of Criminal Procedure states the conditions that allow a private person to make an arrest. Article 14.01 “Offense within view” A peace officer or any other person, may, without a warrant , arrest an offender when their offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace."

"Article 15.22 of the Code of Criminal Procedure states that: A person is arrested when he has been actually placed under restraint or taken into custody by an officer or person executing a warrant of arrest, or by an officer or person arresting without a warrant."

Welcome to Texas.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Straight from the Texas Department of Public Safety: "Article 14.01 of the Code of Criminal Procedure states the conditions that allow a private person to make an arrest. Article 14.01 “Offense within view” A peace officer or any other person, may, without a warrant , arrest an offender when their offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace."

"Article 15.22 of the Code of Criminal Procedure states that: A person is arrested when he has been actually placed under restraint or taken into custody by an officer or person executing a warrant of arrest, or by an officer or person arresting without a warrant."

Welcome to Texas.
Touche.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.