My WJ rolling thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > My WJ rolling thread

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
pariahron
2000 WJ 

My WJ rolling thread

Hi all,

I've just bought my first jeep. It's a very tidy 2000 with 57k and is the 4.0l version. All in all I'm very pleased and got a great deal.

I've changed to it from a two seater sports car, so about a big of a change as possible but two big dogs and our first baby on the way meant something had to change.

I have a couple of questions though, so any help would be most appreciated.

1. It has the infinity gold stereo, with the amp under the rear seat. I'm getting a lot of distortion and wondered if that is most likely to be the amp, wiring or someone has driven the speakers too hard and they are bust?

2. The radio finds it really hard to tune to any station. I've had a good look at the antenna in the window and it looks to be in good shape. Any ideas?

3. The CD player rejects discs. Is it worth trying a cleaning disc or am I looking at a replacement stereo?

4. The overhead LCD computer thing shows an option to have the lights flash on lock/unlock. I have it set to yes but the lights do nothing. I've had a bit of a search here but no suitable advice I can find.

Anyway, I'll be posting my life with the WJ in this thread. I'm a bit of a tinkerer, so hopeful will have something to show.

Cheers

Rob

kgrhqnhjewferuy949cbre-rolicq-_12.jpg  
pariahron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
wheelhead

1999 XJ Cherokee 

First off a 2000 with 57k wow nice find. Now on to the questions.

#1 my bet is the speakers are a bust get new ones.
#2 check the antenna wire behind the radio. That's were I would start.
#3 not to sure could try a cleaning disk.
#4 the lights won't flash by using the door switch. But should do it with the keyless fob.
wheelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
pauler
2001 WJ 

if they don't flash on lock/unlock check your high beams -- if they do not work, then replace the 10A highbeam fuse (assuming its burnt out).
-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
pauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
pariahron
2000 WJ 

Thanks both.

I checked all the connections at the rear of the stereo after your recommendation. All looking goof there, so my guess is the head unit is shot. I can't decide if I should replace it with a standard, or something different. I'm tempted by one of these, so it fits the factory look:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3208989526...84.m1423.l2649

Ooh, I think my lights are all good but I'll check in the morning when I leave for work.

Thanks again!

ROb
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

1. The speakers have probably been ran too hard- replace!
2 and 3. You might want to look into buying a new stereo IMHO. A replacement stock one isn't expensive, or if your looking to get navigation now is your chance
4. What they said, fuse 10
Good luck and subscribed!
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
pariahron
2000 WJ 

Thank you. I agree about the speakers. Will replace them over the next couple of weeks. Is it a case of removing the entire doorcard or just the part with the grille? I can't tell if it's a real seam or a cosmetic one.
I must search ebay for an owners manual too!

I do miss the built in navigation from previous cars, so I may well go down that route.

I'll check fuse 10 as well. Oh, is the fusebox under the hood the only one? (sorry - no owners handbook again).

Thanks again for the help.

Rob
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariahron
Thank you. I agree about the speakers. Will replace them over the next couple of weeks. Is it a case of removing the entire doorcard or just the part with the grille? I can't tell if it's a real seam or a cosmetic one.
I must search ebay for an owners manual too!

I do miss the built in navigation from previous cars, so I may well go down that route.

I'll check fuse 10 as well. Oh, is the fusebox under the hood the only one? (sorry - no owners handbook again).

Thanks again for the help.

Rob
You Will need to pull the door cover

http://www.wjjeeps.com/audio.htm

You also have a fuse box under the dash, located at your left knee.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Wenatchee_Kid
2000 WJ 

Good looking vehicle, pariahron. A real gentleman's look, and showroom clean. Happy trails.
You keeping it stock?

On the radio question, you'll want a USB port feature. I wonder which are mated well (or not) to the WJ sound system.
The two Ipod-friendly Pioneers I have are so complex I can barely dial their radios.

The guy that ran head-on into me (and wasted my rebuilt WJ) was trying to dial his head-unit radio in his ricer.
Modern head units can be a pain.
Wenatchee_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenatchee_Kid View Post
Good looking vehicle, pariahron. A real gentleman's look, and showroom clean. Happy trails.
You keeping it stock?

On the radio question, you'll want a USB port feature. I wonder which are mated well (or not) to the WJ sound system.
The two Ipod-friendly Pioneers I have are so complex I can barely dial their radios.

The guy that ran head-on into me (and wasted my rebuilt WJ) was trying to dial his head-unit radio in his ricer.
Modern head units can be a pain.
Well technically all head units can fit in the WJ, it just depends on how much modification you want to do to the bezel around it. People are even running double dins, just do some searching!
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
james_2k
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
You Will need to pull the door cover

http://www.wjjeeps.com/audio.htm

You also have a fuse box under the dash, located at your left knee.
right knee, we drive on the correct side of the road here
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k View Post
right knee, we drive on the correct side of the road here
On point 4. On all UK spec ones Ive seen (inc mine) its not the headlights that flash when locking/unlocking....just the indicators (turn signals if ya wanna be all trans atlantic!)

I see you have not filled in yours and your Jeeps S.P yet. Get it on for max help in the future. Where are you in blighty old bean? (They think we all speak like that!!)
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
james_2k
2009 WK 

yeah no headlight flashing action on my one
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
MattG60
2004 WJ 

wow that is seriously low miles. Good luck with it!
MattG60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
pariahron
2000 WJ 

Thanks to everybody who has posted. Really appreciate it.

As mentioned, here in the UK, it tends to be the hazards that flash. I checked all the fuses anyway, just in case. All in good order so I guess it might be a relay. I'll have to get a manual and have a good look.

I'm going to go head unit and speaker shopping soon I think. Busy weekend ahead!

Thanks again.
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
pariahron
2000 WJ 

Well, I have a new single din head unit in. Didn't realise I needed a different harness adapter because of the infinity amp, so it took longer than expected but now have good audio at last.

However, I have new troubles. Went away for a ten days recently and ended up doing a couple of very short journeys and then left it standing until time to come home.

Flat battery. Oops. I got it charged up and starting is now all fine but when I got home, I realised I had a whole bunch of failures.

Power windows not working
Central Locking not working
Power mirrors Not working.

I've had a hunt here and on google and after reading some threads pulled back the wiring rubber boot on the drivers door. All the wiring I had read about is fine.

So, any ideas? I checked fuses (at least ones I know about) so could it be a solenoid somewhere maybe? I wish I had an owners manual. Time for ebay I think.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.